MPG dropping

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
So the last thousand miles or so my MPG has been dropping. I had around 35-36 MPG on average but it has been slowly dropping to my current MPG of 29.4.
What could be causing this? My tyre pressures are the same and my driving style has not changed though I am only 200 miles away from my 12500 mile service so maybe it just needs some love?

You're probably right, i still think the service intervals on the RS range are far too long.

My facelift has never had over 30mpg so I don't think you're doing too bad in fairness.

I never get over 30. I wouldn't 100% go off your trip computer anyway.

Cold weather maybe?

Yeah its not particularly bad I was enjoying the 36 MPG lol I guess I will wait and see if the service changes things...

a8urapap.jpg

I don't think I've done too badly on a long run myself :p (although it can drop below 20 without too much effort :( )

Once it's serviced see where it stands. Mine didn't really get decent mpg until I had decent miles on my 133

I have 17,000 miles of my facelift which has quite a lot of mods. I usually change up around 4k and down around 2k. I average 30 mpg with mostly city driving.

Caz-133cup":20db0iq0 said:
Miss dw118":20db0iq0 said:
Maggi! What are you doing??!
Not seen that figure yet!

I am afraid he is not fully at fault for this.
He let me drive it for a couple of times over the weekend and I certainly drove the balls of it! I plan on doing the same this weekend :)

Good on ya! :D
Haha what about the high figure? Dont think i have got near 40, even after long trips?

Miss dw118":1c6183h9 said:
Caz-133cup":1c6183h9 said:
Miss dw118":1c6183h9 said:
Maggi! What are you doing??!
Not seen that figure yet!

I am afraid he is not fully at fault for this.
He let me drive it for a couple of times over the weekend and I certainly drove the balls of it! I plan on doing the same this weekend :)

Good on ya! :D
Haha what about the high figure? Dont think i have got near 40, even after long trips?

With magic! And a very very light foot on a long run.

the world of wizardry is a complicated place and one of the branches of wizardry is fuel economy. then again, is the 12,500 service going to be your first service? if so, i'd definitely say that would be your problem especially if you are running on oil that's 12k miles old as it will be at the end of it's service life. a simple oil change alone will no doubt get you back to 36 mpg, see the link below

technical-stuff-f120/rs133-main-service-optional-intermediate-service-tasks-t11596.html

Yes its my first service and yes its running the same oil as I was told not to change it before the first service because they put some special stuff in it?
I'm down to 28 mpg now and I'm driving as careful as possible... Starting to think there's a hole in my tank haha every time I turn the car on it seems to drop 0.1 mpg

haha, well dan it's still a new car and is still in it's initial 12.5k miles break in period. obviously the oil is degrading and will need changing but that will be happening soon so don't worry about that. the ICE engine relies on the best possible oil it can get to reduce friction, which in turn makes it more efficient (turn quicker without wearing, wear results in frictional loss) so the more the oil degrades the more frictional wear occurs and this will results in the engine needing a bit more fuel than normal to turn the engine normally. it's quite common really, after you have your 12.5k service the mpg will shoot right up and it will feel brand new again don't worry. i used to deal with people in the same situation as you all the time man lol

DanPaul7":1c6gqjnr said:
Yes its my first service and yes its running the same oil as I was told not to change it before the first service because they put some special stuff in it?
I'm down to 28 mpg now and I'm driving as careful as possible... Starting to think there's a hole in my tank haha every time I turn the car on it seems to drop 0.1 mpg

I had my oil changed after run in at about 3500 miles. They just put special ELF oil in it so I told my garage I wanted that oil and an OEM filter and got it changed. 12500 miles on the same oil is too much for a 133 I would say.

Biscoo":vculep1m said:
DanPaul7":vculep1m said:

I had my oil changed after run in at about 3500 miles. They just put special ELF oil in it so I told my garage I wanted that oil and an OEM filter and got it changed. 12500 miles on the same oil is too much for a 133 I would say.

forget the 133, it's too much for ANY car man :) oil doesn't degrade and break down, it's the additives in them that break down. viscosity improving agents, rust inhibitors, anti foaming agents, detergents so on so fort. they try to tell you premium oils are better but that's a big load of bull. using a cheap oil in regular oil changes 6k miles will have your cars engine in prime condition..... even the worst oils of them all ; ELF will keep keep your engine in a fairer condition than you would do changing your oil every 12,500 miles. renault only recommends such a long service interval so that your car dies quicker. the last thing renault wants is for you to buy one car and have it for life, they want you back every 3-5 years. :)

when I read the first post I was scared that my car was broken!!..... until I read everyone else's views..... I too have never had a tank at above 30 mpg

Well I've had my service and whilst the car now seems to drive better and rev a little more freely, it also seems to be using MORE petrol. I'm down to around 26 MPG and it's not like i'm driving hard as I shift up at around 2.5k RPM... Could it be the air filter being dirty? haven't had a look yet but that just popped into my mind as a possible cause. I mean if 26 MPG is normal when your driving like I do then I will just forget about it, I just liked the 36 MPG I was getting before...

well, nothing like a good mechanic and a diagnostic machine with live 2 way data capabilities to monitor and inspect the performance of all your sensors. i understand it must be frustrating, but we can't really help lol. it could be anything from a MAP sensor on it's way out to something as simple as a gummed up / sticky IAC valve being jammed in the off position.

do you have heat through your radiators at all curiously? that governs your MPG and fuelling directly is the coolant temperature sensor (which technically the car doesn't have, but for all intensive purposes lets pretend it does) so if your car wasn't quite getting up to temperature then MPG would be majorly affected. but like i said, there is also a good few other things that could be the problem. if you were close to glasgow i'd sort you out no bother, but i'm sensing you aren't anywhere near :)

dave.

Not sure if this was the actual reason but I cleaned my air filter and now its much better to drive and the MPG has crept back up to over 30 and still going. my air filter was filthy though, like covered in some black oil like substance which I cleaned using the BMC cleaning kit and oil. All good now :)

My mpg is really good was at 34 but since fcs this year it's been at 37 even with a quick blast here and there town and motorway combined this is for my journey to work