Mugen oil cap frankenstein - COMPLETED :D

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
hey guys, so in my actual progress thread for my GT you all know that i decided to get myself a Mugen oil cap. I ordered a genuine cap, and a fake copy from e-bay (of which i am still waiting on it being delivered from china).

so whilst I am waiting for this to be delivered, i made a start in choosing which spare oil cap i am going to use as the first mule.

STAGE 1
1 - this is an oil cap from a clio mk 2 phase 1 D7F 722 engine (but this will be applicable for any D7F engine). this is the clean one, the dirty one is from the Twingo GT D4FT 780 (but will be applicable to all TCE engines)
IMG_20140526_162230.jpg

2 - as seen here, the part numbers match up. the lighter coloured one is from the clio, darker one is from the Twingo GT. Both are M31 thread pitches, ignore the 7 / 11 numbers. those mean nothing as do the bottom numbers.
IMG_20140526_162513.jpg

IMG_20140526_162433.jpg

you can also see that they line up with the same dimensions, focus on my camera at this close a distance is a bit hazy at best but you can still see fairly well.
IMG_20140526_162551.jpg

IMG_20140526_162628.jpg

stage 2 will be happening as soon as i get the fake Mugen cap through the post. the idea will be to cut, fabricate and bond both together. top side mugen, bottom side renault. once in place, you won't see the bottom end.

cut and weld, from above to this ready for getting frankensteined with the mugen. as flat as can be for not after a quick blast with a soldering iron, the fumes sucked man!
IMG_20140526_224857.jpg

STILL NOT HERE, and apparently it'll be mid june although it's currently in transit!

anyway, i got a little more done this evening in preperation. i cut the inside out of a third spare i had laying around.
IMG_20140527_203631.jpg

IMG_20140527_203725.jpg

ygyty9uv.jpg

the idea will be to cut the threaded area off, and then get the problem solving goggles on how to bond it on. the ''yellow'' part of the OEM oil cap doesn't actually serve any purpose other than acting as a cover to prevent the ingress of dirt. the actual sealing is done on the top of the OEM thread arms at either side, if you want to call them that... that i cut out in the first picture.

basically on the mugen cap, cut out the entire threaded area (this will be tricky, but i'll win in the end) and replace it with the OEM renault section. voila
beginning to see how this is going to come together now?

oscar":4h22znoh said:
basically on the mugen cap, cut out the entire threaded area (this will be tricky, but i'll win in the end) and replace it with the OEM renault section. voila
beginning to see how this is going to come together now?

This is something I had considered a while back oddly enough with a HKS Oil Cap, glad you're going through with it :)

Don't know anyone with a machine lathe? Turning the threads down/parting off on a lathe will be far easier/straighter/cleaner than any other method.
Would also be used to form a recess, similar to that of the yellow cap, to provide a flush surface for adhesion of the Plastic T seal :)

i can make things with my hands easily enough, anything can be made to fit anything within reason as you know. the problem stems from making a cad drawing of the final product, i don't know anyone breathing who does that sort of stuff to be fair but there is a CNC shop 2 units along from my work.

is there anyone on here good with cad? we could get some kind of open source drawing on the go. donate a fiver or something into their paypal for anyone who downloads the drawings, with a few renaultsport or gordini logo's to choose from for members on here and they can get it CNC cut themselves.

i noticed that jukes and micra k11's use the same oil / coolant caps, gates to be precise so it's feasible that there will be an aftermarket coolant cap out there somewhere. i know that nengun have a few that i looked at

Hey, I can give it a go on AutoCad Inventor. Not promising anything so I will do it for free lol!

oscar":3367hrai said:
i can make things with my hands easily enough, anything can be made to fit anything within reason as you know. the problem stems from making a cad drawing of the final product, i don't know anyone breathing who does that sort of stuff to be fair but there is a CNC shop 2 units along from my work.

is there anyone on here good with cad? we could get some kind of open source drawing on the go. donate a fiver or something into their paypal for anyone who downloads the drawings, with a few renaultsport or gordini logo's to choose from for members on here and they can get it CNC cut themselves.

I didn't mean a CNC, a manual lathe will do just fine :) saves all the effort in pathway writing etc. Just a manual Machine Lathe with a cutting tool.

I can also use Autodesk Inventor :) (Once FECKING Microsoft stop killing it with 8.1 :( )

IMG_20140601_181609.jpg

IMG_20140601_181642.jpg

IMG_20140601_182603.jpg

this isn't actually fitted, but it is a quick test fit (basically resting on top of the oil breather hole held on by nothing) to see if it would be too large or too small ... and from what you can see, it looks to be spot on! i'll complete it on wednesday and make sure it sits more flush :D

Finally finnished! i set aside some time to do this today, boss watched over me in amazement didn't understand what i was doing but hey ho. so i basically cut out the threaded section on the mugen cap where it would screw into the honda rocker cover / filler neck and then grinded it flush (who in the actual hell is EVER going to see the underside of my oil cap? i can assure you, it's not pretty).
I then had two options, rough both surfaces up and arrowdite them together which was my bosses suggestion, to me that just seemed plain dodgy. I went with my original idea of 2x M4 allen head bolts, drilled into the flush surface and tapped the two M4 holes and cut the two little bolts to size. you don't need to see the underside of it, it's not pretty ;) just know that it's absolutely planted on solid and that you cannot see any damage other than greasy finger marks and a few silly ''ooops, should have put a rag when i clamped it on the vice'' marks!!!!!

say hello to frankenstein guys...
IMG_20140604_171541.jpg

that's not daylight you can see guys, it sits flush with the top black plastic of the filler neck. it's a grinding mark, war wound if you will!
IMG_20140604_171550.jpg

IMG_20140604_171559.jpg

IMG_20140604_171610.jpg

IMG_20140604_171623.jpg

IMG_20140604_171714.jpg

there we go....now repeat with the REAL mugen at some stage soon, let me cunjure up the balls first.

well on the fake ebay mugen, the actual mugen plate is detachable so it would leave you with a plain oil cap of your choice should anyone want to to this.

it seals with no blow-by gasses, quite chuffed really. not got a clue what made me do this but i'm glad i did, makes me laugh everytime i see it