My Twingo 133 (non cup)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollieallen

Reaction score
The time has come to start my progress thread! I finally have enough (albeit) small bits done to warrant cracking on with it.

Bought my Twingo in May this year, 10 plate, black, non cup with around 22k on the clock. First MOT was done when I bought it and it flew through.

Top two were taken the day I bought it, the rest all from this morning after a little bit of rain.

Since buying I've had a few ideas of mods to do and have since started to put them in to action.

Started off small with just a couple of styling bits, still need to buy a set of projectors for the HIDs which I'll cut into the headlights. Although they work ok at the moment the spread is all over the place and the projectors will just focus them more and make it look neater!

Also bought a Green Cotton panel filter to improve air flow.

Installed the tow strap and HIDs yesterday which took way longer than it should have done. Tow strap isn't on the actual tow point because I couldn't see a way of squeezing it through. It's bolted just inside the grill below the slam panel.

Smoked indicators went on this morning.

I also took out the rear seats and spare wheel to see how it feels without that weight in the back, easily around 40kg just from that. Feels a little sharper around bends which is always good.

I have ordered a full set of Yoko AD08s (205/45/16) a set of Weitec coilovers, Brembo Max front disks and Ferodo DS2500 front and rear pads all from K-Tec.

Eventually I'd like to change the alloys to something a bit different as I'm not overly keen on the non cups. More than likely go down to 15s.

Planning on taking off the Twingo sticker and Renaultsport badge on the back to make it look a little neater and plain.

Also thinking about having the silver parts (spoiler, fog surrounds and wing mirrors) wrapped or painted either white or black but I'm unsure at the moment.

All views and advice or tips are more than welcome here! Everyone's entitled to their own opinion so don't be afraid to say it, I won't be hurt ;)

I'll update again once I receive my massive delivery from K-Tec, with any luck it'll turn up today/tomorrow....

Nice car and I like your plans. Although I'm really not keen on the tow strap at all

waitey":29il7tx9 said:
Pretty much the same as I've done ;) so I like your plans, I've yet to fit my Weitecs (bring done Sunday) should be fun

Ah sweet :) are you gonna be putting the installation into a thread? Will be interesting to see how easy or complicated they are to fit.

I was hoping to have mine delivered by the end of this week but it's looking like next week now which is frustrating. I wanted to do all the work over this weekend and have it out the way so I can get the tracking and tyres fitted next week! Although, weather dependent, I could have it all fitted by the end of next week!

Oh I forgot to say that pile of mud by my wheel in the last picture is what came out from behind the arch liner yesterday :oops: it was dirt before the rain hit it this morning. Equally as much on the drivers side!

ollieallen":tg50cat8 said:
waitey":tg50cat8 said:
Pretty much the same as I've done ;) so I like your plans, I've yet to fit my Weitecs (bring done Sunday) should be fun

Ah sweet :) are you gonna be putting the installation into a thread? Will be interesting to see how easy or complicated they are to fit.

I was hoping to have mine delivered by the end of this week but it's looking like next week now which is frustrating. I wanted to do all the work over this weekend and have it out the way so I can get the tracking and tyres fitted next week! Although, weather dependent, I could have it all fitted by the end of next week!

Won't make a installation thread as the how to on changing springs is the exact same steps minus removing the rear strut. ;)

Took me almost 2 weeks to get my coilovers from k tec...

waitey":2mlhszln said:
ollieallen":2mlhszln said:
waitey":2mlhszln said:

Won't make a installation thread as the how to on changing springs is the exact same steps minus removing the rear strut. ;)

Took me almost 2 weeks to get my coilovers from k tec...

Ahh man really?! Christ, they told me it takes 2-3 days to get delivered to them then another few days for delivery to me. Better not take 2 weeks for me!

So this happened today...

Safe to say this week is gonna be fuuuuuun. Coilies hopefully going on tomorrow, and brakes too if I have the time left over. Tyres being fitted Friday if all goes to plan!

Awesome!!

I had an issue fitting my coilovers so need to order new top mounts to fit them :( but now I've managed to take the unit out it is incredibly easy to change them over providing you don't get the carrier nut seized on like I did lol

If you get them on before me let me know how they are and if those tyres scrub as I wanted a set in the exact same size but didn't want to risk it scrubbing :(.

waitey":tbyxbjli said:
Awesome!!

I had an issue fitting my coilovers so need to order new top mounts to fit them :( but now I've managed to take the unit out it is incredibly easy to change them over providing you don't get the carrier nut seized on like I did lol

If you get them on before me let me know how they are and if those tyres scrub as I wanted a set in the exact same size but didn't want to risk it scrubbing :(.

Ah damn :( I hope I don't need new top mounts because I'm absolutely skint now haha!

I will man, hopefully they'll be on tomorrow night if nothing goes wrong :thumbup:

I am afraid of the tyres rubbing as well, but I'm going down 30mm so I think they might be ok. If not I'll either raise it a bit or just lose the arch liners and hope that helps. They'll be clear of the arches themselves I think. The 205s look a hell of a lot wider than 195s, it's odd to look at but I'm so excited to get them on

ollieallen":a4qwwd2b said:
waitey":a4qwwd2b said:
Awesome!!

Ah damn :( I hope I don't need new top mounts because I'm absolutely skint now haha!

I will man, hopefully they'll be on tomorrow night if nothing goes wrong :thumbup:

I am afraid of the tyres rubbing as well, but I'm going down 30mm so I think they might be ok. If not I'll either raise it a bit or just lose the arch liners and hope that helps. They'll be clear of the arches themselves I think. The 205s look a hell of a lot wider than 195s, it's odd to look at but I'm so excited to get them on

I have 205s on the front of mine, I only lowers it 25mm and they rub on full lock of you hit a bump but that's it, I don't rate them if I'm honest I think the car handled better with the 195s

Little update...

Coils are on, just need adjusting! Wasn't quite as simple as I'd hoped it would have been. Driver side ARB link wouldn't budge so had to be angle grinded off :( Just waiting on delivery of a new one.

Rears, however, were a dream to do. 1 bolt behind the brake and then the top mount. Springs popped out easily once the axle was dropped. Levelling front and rear today after work, then once the new ARB link comes I'll have the tyres fitted and wheels aligned.

Hopefully, provided nothing else goes wrong, it'll be dropped and rubbered by mid week. HOPEFULLY

I had to replace mine when swapping over to bc racing Coilovers, bought two links and kept a spare. Thank god as one recently decided to snap in two whilst I was pulling out of the drive. Worthwhile compromise though

I've kept with 195s and also dropped down to 16s from my old 17s. 205s would definitely rub. I just need to decide what rubber I want now. I'm not a fan of the maxxis on the front that came on the wheels I bought, but we're brand new so thought I'd use them first. I'd want the ad08 but wrong size for me :(

maggi112":1wu1ofa8 said:
I had to replace mine when swapping over to bc racing Coilovers, bought two links and kept a spare. Thank god as one recently decided to snap in two whilst I was pulling out of the drive. Worthwhile compromise though

I've kept with 195s and also dropped down to 16s from my old 17s. 205s would definitely rub. I just need to decide what rubber I want now. I'm not a fan of the maxxis on the front that came on the wheels I bought, but we're brand new so thought I'd use them first. I'd want the ad08 but wrong size for me :(

I'm not too fussed about full lock rub, but we'll see how the 205s go. Mine came on some horrible budgets on the front but still had the Conti's on the back so they were swapped over straight away. They all look basically brand new so I might keep the Conti's as spares and sell the budgets.

What size are you looking for with AD08s? I may end up dropping down to 15s when the tyres need replacing. I'm not a fan of the non cup alloys but I prefer being on 16s to 17s

maggi112":2339p3g7 said:

I have falken ze914s on my 16s and they seem pretty good! Get alot of good reviews too, I wanted AD08s but they're the wrong size too :(

Hope some decent semi slick is available in 195/45/16 but I've yet to find any

Oh I found my drivers anti roll bar nut was stuff too, here's to hoping I can get it off myself no problems

waitey":fsskn2i6 said:
I have falken ze914s on my 16s and they seem pretty good! Get alot of good reviews too, I wanted AD08s but they're the wrong size too :(

Hope some decent semi slick is available in 195/45/16 but I've yet to find any

Oh I found my drivers anti roll bar nut was stuff too, here's to hoping I can get it off myself no problems

I'm hoping the 205s don't rub too much ;) but I'll find out soon enough.

Just be very careful with the Torx end of the bolt, mine just rounded off completely under the pressure of the nut undoing! Very annoying. But like Maggi mentioned it may be worth you ordering a few just in case!

Hit a bit of set back now, my top mounts won't seem to do up properly now the coilies are on. The nut is up as tight as it will go but there is a 10mm (or so) gap between the bottom of the top mount and the chassis. And I'm out of thread to do the nut up on. So the struts are just bouncing around and causing a horrible knock over every bump.

I'm in the process of ordering new alloy ones which will be a bolt on job, so should be a hell of a lot better.

In the mean time I'm gonna try and mount them in a few different ways to see if I can overcome the problem momentarily. But it's getting very frustrating!

Any help or advice at this time would be greatly appreciated

Wish I could help but my Weitec coilovers were fitted for me.

I was there during the whole process and it went smoothly.. the only thing annoying about my car was the extra X-way-looking crossbars on the rear that needed to be moved to lower the axle and squeeze the rear springs in between.

A regular Twingo RS doensn't have that problem