Never thought I'd see the day :(

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky_d

Reaction score
It looks like my next car is going to have to be economical, instead of fast :(

I've had my Ibiza Cupra since November and I'm crazy in love with it. However since starting my new job (which comes with a 50 mile round commute every day in rush hour start-stop traffic) it's really starting to take a hit on fuel - and I feel as though I'm constantly putting petrol in it and spending all my money on fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm soon on first name terms with the woman at the Shell down the road (and shortly after being invited to their Christmas party).

What I am wondering though is, is there such a car which is still a lot of fun to drive (quick, good in the corners, looks good) but is still really good on fuel? On an occasional good day my Ibiza can get about 40mpg at a push (but that is strictly on a good day...). I see Ford are bringing out a new version of the Zetec S called the Black & Red editions which have the 1.0 ecoboost but with 140bhp (AND 67mpg!?). I also really like the Fabia Monte Carlo but I can't imagine the ripsnorting 1.6 TDI and its' almighty 105bhp is terribly quick...

I can understand that driving any car like a madman isn't going to produce fantastic fuel consumption but I'd sure as hell like to know if theres something that's a bit more 'best of both worlds'...

I've just moved from my RS to a E46 320cd as i do upwards of 4-500 miles a week and I'm getting high 44s and that was with a bit of a blast around the Pennines the other day! Love it, a huge change from the Twingo, more comfortable, less noise, a turbo and rwd! :p

Obviously depends on budget could be looking at early e92s?

i see that you like your vag's, i'd look at some of the 1.9 diesel engines that vag offer. however, i'd be worried that any trade in value you'll loose moving to a new car would equate the same amount of money you'd be spending on fuel currently?

If leasing, get a new fiesta st3 from gateway deals. My mate has one and taking it steady on the motorway it gets mid to high 40s all day long. Low 30s around town. 20s if out for a blast

Isn't there a diesel version of the cupra?
can't be too bad on fuel? Unless you've already got it? :shock:

I had a Citroen c1 that I stuck lightweight 15's on with toyo t1r's, wasn't fast at all but 50mpg on a bad day and was awesome to throw into corners as the challange was to try and not end up in the passenger seat going hard around a roundabout. Sits at 70 on motorway easy too.

Now I know there's a lot of Ford and vag suggestions going around but what about a hybrid? Now I'm sure you're all thinking but they are boring but the face lift CRZ is fantastic. Its cool and sporty, has 3 kinds of modes for driving. Half hybrid and mines getting 137 bhp with 47/52mpg. I've done some mods and I currently get around an 8bhp gain.
The only downside is the back seats are pretty much useless unless you're a very small person.

They aren't too expensive to buy atm either and are only £20 a year to tax.
If not then defo a diesel VW of some form. Happy car shopping :)

Sell me the cupra or swap + cash for the GT lol

133_Ads":19zvf5br said:
I've just moved from my RS to a E46 320cd as i do upwards of 4-500 miles a week and I'm getting high 44s and that was with a bit of a blast around the Pennines the other day! Love it, a huge change from the Twingo, more comfortable, less noise, a turbo and rwd! :p

Obviously depends on budget could be looking at early e92s?

As much as I adore BMWs I can't help but feel that their MPGs will only be marginally better of that of the Seat, and of course the price of diesel is a lot more & theres the cost of changing car etc

oscar":19zvf5br said:
i see that you like your vag's, i'd look at some of the 1.9 diesel engines that vag offer. however, i'd be worried that any trade in value you'll loose moving to a new car would equate the same amount of money you'd be spending on fuel currently?

I actually really like the original Fabia VRS diesel with the PD130 derv but Ill be looking to buy brand new, and I don't believe they've offered that engine in any car for a few years now...

sullii94":19zvf5br said:
Isn't there a diesel version of the cupra?
can't be too bad on fuel? Unless you've already got it? :shock:

That was the Mk4 Cupra with the PD160 lump that they stopped making in 2008! Mine is the newest model with the 1.4 TSI. Wouldn't have even considered a diesel when I bought my car because I didn't do the miles to warrant it then lol

Caz-133cup":19zvf5br said:
Now I know there's a lot of Ford and vag suggestions going around but what about a hybrid? Now I'm sure you're all thinking but they are boring but the face lift CRZ is fantastic. Its cool and sporty, has 3 kinds of modes for driving. Half hybrid and mines getting 137 bhp with 47/52mpg. I've done some mods and I currently get around an 8bhp gain.
The only downside is the back seats are pretty much useless unless you're a very small person.

You know, I actually really like the CRZ. A mate of mine traded in his FN2 Type R for it and now he traipses around the country going to shows with it (he stuck it on air ride & Corvette saw blades) but even he says his MPGs are silly high and it's not a bad car to drive either. The whole hybrid thing is never something I've even considered, maybe I'll see if I can get a go in one.

LC":19zvf5br said:
Sell me the cupra or swap + cash for the GT lol

As much as I'd love to, but I did have a 133 for a year and I don't think I could go back now! :lol:

go and buy your self a old mk4 golf diesel and use that as a daily and keep the cupra its not the petrol u should worry about its devaluing the car by putting 15k miles commuting a year

sam666":3bels08x said:
go and buy your self a old mk4 golf diesel and use that as a daily and keep the cupra its not the petrol u should worry about its devaluing the car by putting 15k miles commuting a year

This is true, I did actually have a dream the other week that i bought an older Clio dci for running back and forward to work in but I think the added costs of insuring, taxing, fuelling etc a second car would be more than just continuing to fuel the Ibiza...

I think I'm just gonna wait it out for now. I have use of my mum's Qashqai for nipping back and forward when she's not using it so I reckon I'll be okay for now. When time comes to sell up the Cupra, I guess I'll be back here again lol

clio dci 172 style bean, avoid like the plague! injectors are made of cheese, the turbo is made of cheese. well they've lasted well untill now 10 years + old but they are dropping by the waist side or w/e the expression is :)

although fantastic motors while they run!

Caz-133cup":1onhkowf said:

My brother has one. I was in the back of it. 6 foot of me. My neck hasn't been the same since.

But a brilliant car though. He gets about 50mpg out of it and those electric motors do give it a nice kick!

Dubz":3kkj8m1m said:
Caz-133cup":3kkj8m1m said:

My brother has one. I was in the back of it. 6 foot of me. My neck hasn't been the same since.

But a brilliant car though. He gets about 50mpg out of it and those electric motors do give it a nice kick!
Or a BMW 1 series does 66 combined and around 50 for the M sport model which does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds

What about those Honda Civic's smog monsters with the 2.2 diesel? I've heard if you remap them you get quite a nice result.

But a brilliant car though. He gets about 50mpg out of it and those electric motors do give it a nice kick![/quote]
Or a BMW 1 series does 66 combined and around 50 for the M sport model which does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds[/quote]

BMW make the worst petrol engines in the history of mankind, timing chain failures all over the shop, cracked manifolds, oil pressure switches going crazy, chain tensioner, turbo failure the list goes on. recommend someone a rover before i recommend them any BMW :) although if you meant a diesel then ignore this!

oscar":231fh4ww said:
Or a BMW 1 series does 66 combined and around 50 for the M sport model which does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds
BMW make the worst petrol engines in the history of mankind, timing chain failures all over the shop, cracked manifolds, oil pressure switches going crazy, chain tensioner, turbo failure the list goes on. recommend someone a rover before i recommend them any BMW :) although if you meant a diesel then ignore this!

Duh though I think they have chain problems and they're hell to change