New discs, pads or both?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James-Hilton

Reaction score
I'm getting my 133 put in for it's second service on the 4th. At the same time I'm going to get the brakes done as when I got new front tyres a couple of month back they said my brakes would need changed soon. I can't remember if they said discs, pads or both? I phoned them up the other day and they said they recommend when you replace the pads you get the discs done as well? I'm not sure if this is right? My car has only done 18,000 miles. My dad has a Mini Cooper S and it's done 45,000 miles and is still on it's first set of discs but second set of pads.

In terms of needing to be replaced, it's more than likely to be just the pads. You can change the pads without having to change the discs, as long as the pads haven't worn too low and damaged the discs. From what you've said, I doubt that this has happened.

Cheers! Some garages just try to rip you off! In fact my local Renault dealer aren't the best! I've had a few problems with them before. Whereas my old dealer were amazing! Can't decide wether I'm best going for aftermarket pads or not? Like if it'll make any noticeable difference.

It's if you change the disks that you need to change the pads at the same time. It's fine to change pads on their own, and as Monster says - It should be very unlikely that you need to change disks after that distance unless the pads have worn so low that they have damaged the disks.

There's a few aftermarket pads available. I remember one of the traders on here offering discounts on some a while ago - so that's probably worth a look if you fancy some

Mines done 20000 an not changed pads yet, think their needed tho, but disks should be ok but I may be wrong!

I'll get onto Renault about it tomorrow. Or I might just buy aftermarket ones and fit them here.

You normally can get 2 sets of pads to a set of discs.

If you are to change discs you must change pads aswell! But new pads can go on old discs