New gearbox care?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waitey

Reaction score
I'm due to collect my car today or tomorrow and has had a new gearbox fitted, I have read that people suggest taking it easy for 1000 miles and to change the gearbox oil after 1200 miles.

Others just say drive it as you would normally!

I will probably go with the first option as I don't trust renault gearboxes :lol: what's the best gearbox oil out there to use?

Well ignoring the factors like mechanical sympathy, just remember someone (you've probably not met) has just installed a major component. I wouldn't wanna be driving it hard until I was sure it was fully bolted in.

Bringing it back to the usual factors again, I would take it easy, no full starts etc, and certainly allowing it to warm up. If you're driving on the road, this shouldn't really change how you drive anyway.

A bit ot mechanical sympathy like allowing it to warm up, just like the engine.

Gearbox oil isn't normaly scheduled for a change but it probably won't harm

Picked it up and my god was the gear lever stiff for the first few miles!

After 5 or so miles it was easier to change gears but somehow it feels as if the distance between gears is shorter than before confusingly enough, I've heard of the Clio RS getting a revised box but doubt that would be the case with the twingo?

Can feel the difference between worn lower balljoints and a new pair.

Also I said there was a rattle coming when I was in reverse a few times and they changed the rear boot latch and replaced the rubber around the drivers door as it was peeling off.

As it was done under warranty they said the invoice paperwork gets sent to warranty so I asked if they could print me a copy for my own records.

Only negative thing is my steering is now off again :( I just had that laser aligned about a month ago aswell so that will have to be redone before FCS.

Edit: I'm going to take it easy for the next 6-1000 miles and get the oil replaced at 1000 miles just to be on the safe side, what oil type/grades can I use as I will be looking to replace it with the best stuff I can find.

personnaly I put motul gear 75w90 but need a lot of warming during winter

that oil for heavy load duty but horrible for normal driver :D

mee I focus on heavy load ^^

How's the new gearbox been? Thought about putting the GT box in it?

In all seriousnessness, how is it? I'm asking for my gearbox oil to be changed when it's serviced next montb

markhardy":2rhktq08 said:

In all seriousnessness, how is it? I'm asking for my gearbox oil to be changed when it's serviced next montb
Hmmmm Clio gt gearbox, wonder if that would fit.

Friedchicken91":70mzi3d7 said:
markhardy":70mzi3d7 said:

Hmmmm Clio gt gearbox, wonder if that would fit.

I was being sarcastic regarding a recent post waitey made ;)

GT box is too much, 1st gear tops out at 60!

The box is fine though no problems and its covered 1100miles now so it will get its oil changed soon to be on the safe side