New windscreen, any tips?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EpsomJames

Reaction score
Had my first bit of damage to my 3000 miler RS today, an object (seemed metallic) was flicked up on the M25 and hit my windscreen just under the wiper (luckily missing the bodywork completely). Despite it not sounding too bad it has cracked the screen from the bottom right to about halfway up the screen. RS windscreens must be very thin!

So Autoglass are coming out to replace the screen next week. I already told them it has rain sensing wipers and a mate told me to insist they fit a genuine Renault windscreen not a 3rd party one. Is there anything else I should look out for? Any common damage that occurs when a windscreen is replaced that I should check for?

I'm a bit gutted as it's the only car I owned that didn't have even a nick on the screen, plus I'm £70 lighter in the pocket from my windscreen excess today :(

I had to have the windscreen replaced on my car within the first couple of months of ownership (had it since new in 2009!) due to a massive stone which was flicked up by a tractor...the joys of living in rural Norfolk at the time!

The autoglass guy had no issues fitting the glass, but one of the plastic surrounds down at the bottom of the screen (scuttle covers?) was loose after he'd finished due to the way he removed it from the car and it eventually flew off when I was driving along shortly afterwards - other than that, s'all good!

The only other thing that I'd do with a brand new 'screen is clay it then apply a layer of sealant (I used JetSeal 109 by Chemical Guys on mine)...should help to keep the crud off and clear water a little bit better when it does rain.

Had the new screen fitted now, I had to wait a bit longer as I wanted genuine Renault glass which had to be ordered. The Autoglass guy was really good and you wouldn't even know it's had new glass. Phew!