noisey engine and whine

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonster

Reaction score
So after having the car 7 months it's starting to sound pretty rough. I know it's almost impossinks to diagnose on the interwebz but perhaps this has happened to one (or many) of you.

Engine hot or cold, if i rev over 2k when the revs return to idle there's a whine that slows back down after the revvs have dropped.

The engine is getting pretty noisy, tappy / rattly perhaps sound like an exhaust blow ( sounds like it's borking at low revs )

Iv had it in the air and checked the exhaust and can't see any broken seals or gas escaping.

I had the timing belt and water pump done at Renault as their tech diagnosed it as water pump but the noises and problems are still there. ( service record is upto date, services done at 10k intervals, current mileage 29k but service done at 26k with timing kit)
Out of warranty though
Any help would be appreciated

Mines exactly he same and they just say waterpump every time when you take it to them. Live with it they are all the same

simonster":2bc9k65r said:
I had the timing belt and water pump done at Renault as their tech diagnosed it as water pump but the noises and problems are still there. ( service record is upto date, services done at 10k intervals, current mileage 29k but service done at 26k with timing kit)
Out of warranty though

it wasn't the water pump then mark! these water pumps don't just fail ...... but i suppose nobody listens to me when i consistently say STOP TAKING YOUR FECKING CARS TO RENAULT! there is ONE master RTE who does all of the warranty and diagnostic work, usually an average of 5-8 diagnostics a day. they don't have time to do it the correct way. that's not his fault, it's the managements fault. why do you think i left?. they give their best guess, and 75% of the time it's correct as the master RTE's are usually smart guys and get a fair knowledge on common failure patterns throughout the years .. but even einstein got it wrong when pushed. take your cars to a trusted local mechanic where he has seen every problem under the sun, over every model of every car and went through every diagnostic measure under the sun to track the problem down & will also hunt the problem down for however long it takes till the actual culprate is found, for a third of the price .... i know who i'd be going with, and it wouldn't be renault in any instance. and for anyone who thinks that the twingo has a special engine ... the k4m is a pretty common renault engine, and it's not special whatsoever in terms of it's operation. no harder or easier to work on than any other engine or car out there :p

this problem can be easily diagnosed. remove the aux belt & run the engine, does the noise still persist? if yes then it's something on the timing belt side most probably, inspect further with a stethoscope with the aux belt removed and the engine running. if the noise doesn't persist when the aux is removed then start to look at the pulley bearings and the A/C clutch assuming your car is not a cup. spin all of the pulleys, idlers and tensioners and listen for noise. you can also listen in with a stethoscope with the aux belt on and running to diagnose which is at fault, the same for the timing belt with engine running and aux belt removed

that's a start at least. sorry for having a go, it's not at you. i just wish more people would stay away from renault dealerships. hope you track the problem down buddy, if you are anywhere near glasgow then bring it to me. i'll even do the job for free if you bring the parts and buy me a kfc :p

i also forgot to add that if it does turn out to be the waterpump again, then the worst thing you could do is to just replace it because there is an underlying cause as to why it has prematurely failed twice in a row. these waterpumps are supposed to last 6 years or 72,000 miles. hmmm, i sure do get grumpy when i've ran out of corn flakes. i just re-read my rant.

124956_1.jpg

its booked in for next sat at my local garage.
finding trustworthy mechanics is hard these days!
he had a quick listen and said it could be dephaser pulley but will have a good inspection at the weekend.
thanks for the input oscar i didnt see it as a rant. if you know what your talking about you know what your talking about :)

simonster":34hn6g2s said:
So after having the car 7 months it's starting to sound pretty rough. I know it's almost impossinks to diagnose on the interwebz but perhaps this has happened to one (or many) of you.

Engine hot or cold, if i rev over 2k when the revs return to idle there's a whine that slows back down after the revvs have dropped.

The engine is getting pretty noisy, tappy / rattly perhaps sound like an exhaust blow ( sounds like it's borking at low revs )

Iv had it in the air and checked the exhaust and can't see any broken seals or gas escaping.

Out of warranty though

I wouldn't necessarily worry about a noisy tappy engine.. It's FRENCH! They all sound rough!! This is my 4th French car and they all sound rough.

Mine sounds pretty good for a French car and considering I just thrashed it round a track all day long last week.. the car is fine and the engine sounds no different.. so I wouldn't worry! :cool: