Number plate light

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullii94

Reaction score
Got a problem, one of my number plate lights is out, so I bought some new LEDs to go in
Put them in, they don't work, put the old light in, don't work
But, if I put my old LED interior light in it works, but VERY faintly

Anyone got any ideas? I'm rather confused haha!

LEDs need to be the correct way round.

Fit the new ones.
If it doesnt light up, switch off the lights
Remove the LED bulb and rotate it 180'
Refit the bulb and try it again

Or, have you blown a fuse already?

I tried switching it around but it still doesent work
Isn't the fuse for both number plate lights? Or is there one for each?

Single fuse for both of them.

Maybe the contact areas are corroded or come loose, giving a poor connection.

Had a look and both of the boxes the light sits in work on the left side, but neither work on the right
So it's either the connector they plug into, or the wiring somewhere I think?
Where does the wiring run?

a multimeter will be your only friend in this case sullii, test the resistance of the points :)

Had the multimeter on it yesterday, nothing coming through to where the bulbs plug into
Anybody know where the wiring goes? Does it connect behind the bumper somewhere?

The wires probably pass through a grommet just bellow the left hand rear light cluster.

Where the wires are split from one feed, dividing to the two bulb holders, I don't know

Yeah I have no idea either, I'm guessing the bumper needs to come off to find where they go? As I think the wires run behind it?
Couldn't see from underneath the car anyway

Have you had the actual bulb holder out and checked the power at the plug, where it connects to the loom?

you mean this bit? checked the connection there and nothing
wondering if this is part of another loom that attaches behind the bumper somewhere ;)

aye man, the loom sits behind the bumper. it would be best to take the bumper off to get to it if that's your game plan. electronic side of cars is not the highlight of my day! the number plate lights will share the same relays and fuses in the canbus / light switching system, so it'd be well worth your while to get the multimeter onto the relays and to check the correct fuses.

the fuses can be found ........
neil will post you a nice link! ;)

Thats why classic cars are better, less electronics, less to go wrong ;)
I thought it'd be a bumper off job, what a pisstake just for a bulb!
I was hoping maybe its just this bit of loom thats gone, and you could just replace it?
And im assuming a fuse hasnt gone as it'd control both numberplate lights?

you're right there, must have missed that part sullii :D
bloody electronics man, i avoid all electronic work as much as i can. it seems my approach is justified lol good luck with it nonetheless, like i said the multimeter and some bumper off tools will be your best friend here :)

sullii94":1ch7pdq6 said:
And im assuming a fuse hasnt gone as it'd control both numberplate lights?
Correct.

Its only two two cables. One being +12V and the other going back to chassis ground (earth).

With the lights switched off,
switch your multimeter to resistance test. Theres probably a beep function for when you get a short and this can be confirmed by touching the two probes together.

Assuming theres a black cable and the convention is the same as most of the other earths, test the connection back to the chassis (theres an earth point up behind the carpet trim on the left side of the boot.) you should get a beep. You could also test it to the other number plate light

The other cable is fed by the same 12V feed as the other rear side lights and number plate light, so test this to the other number plate light. You should get a beep

Now, I'm guessing one of the two won't have continuity (I doubt if its both). So, your either not getting the 12V to the light, or it can't get back to the battery to make the circuit.

That should help you with which colour wire your needing to find.

Thanks Neil! Will have to have a try..
Only problem is next time I can look is at the weekend, and I've got MOT booked for sat morning, hopefully they won't make a big deal of it, is it something to fail on?