Occasional Weird Sound

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MovingShadow

Reaction score
It only has happend about 3 times but sometimes when I start up my car (when the car is cold) it can make this strange sound.
It's only for a second and the ignition of the car isn't delayed either.
It sounds like the starter is 'moaning' for 1 second.
Turn the car back off, try again and the sound is gone.

The day after in the evening it happend again but not in the morning. It seems to happen on random occasions.

nothing to worry about man, it's just the starter motor making the whirring / moaning noise. over time the gear can become a little bit jammed due to road dirt and grease getting into it. all that's happening is the starter motors working a little harder to overcome it but it's usually normal. starter motors are sturdy like that, mine does it too. 08 GT!

thinking twice on this now, it actually sound like the oil pump priming the system when you start the car. the oil takes about 5-8 seconds to pressure the system and get up through the turbo but it does no damage. that would make sense, as when you start it ... makes the whurring moaning noise and then when you turn it off, restart it ... the noise goes away as the system is already primed and lubricated fully. when you turn your car off at night, the oil in the system drips down back into the sump :)