Odd braking noise

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_225

Reaction score
My missus Twingo makes a light grinding noise when you put your foot on the brake. Doesn't happen when you're braking firmly or during driving.

Just seems that if you're rolling, say when parking and apply the brakes you get this noise.

Have booked it in with Renault who obviously give you the whole 'You might have to pay because it's a consumable' bit. Although in 4,000 miles I can't see how you'd get through a set of rear pads! :shock:

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Could just be the rotating in between the pads that you can here.

just recently i had similar sounds on our Focus. as i found out, it was due to not well balanced front wheels. i had them rebalanced and that fixed it... not sure its your thing too, though

Twingogeekeo":b29oc2dm said:
Could just be the rotating in between the pads that you can here.

I did wonder that initially but it's not a normal noise, it's louder than just a braking noise if that makes sense. It sounds slightly ominous for want of a better word haha. :lol:

I'm not so sure if it's the wheels balancing but hopefully Renault will find out. If it is then it may be the rear wheels.

at first i also did not believe it could be because of wheels, suspected the brakes/pads as well, but rebalancing was cheaper and faster to try, and it worked.

Could just be a spot of surface rust on the disks - with all the wet weather and salt on the roads you'll always get a bit of that - first time you brake hard it should "clean" it off, but once the car's been standing overnight there may be a bit more.

If you live at the seaside you get used to it with all the salty air!!

And I think the material they use in modern pads is noisier than the old ones that used to contain asbestos.

tbh with you it is actuly the rust on the disks ! dun it this morning drove of as soon as the rear come unstuck lol breaked grinded a bit then all fine after that :) just think of it this way the breaks are normaly smooth break normaly dont hear a thing and when there is a texture to it as in (rust) then that smoothness is gone for the moment untill the pads grind at it to remove it then smooth again :)

It's always more noticeable on cars with "open" pattern alloys because a larger area of the brake disk is exposed to the weather.

Yes, I'd say most probably surface disk rust.

Yeah mines the same with surface disk rust, most days the first light braking as im pulling out of the car park you can hear it and its louder on a Monday after its been sat all weekend.