Oil dipstick level

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikNorton

Reaction score
This is a really noddy question, but I'm dropping my Twingo off for warranty work this evening and forgot to check the manual for the oil min/max levels on the dipstick before coming to work. :D

Where's it supposed to be? It's currently sat at the top of the flat/wide hatch-marked section, which I've always assumed is the min/max range.

I have checked the manual at some point back in the mists of time and don't remember panicking and running out to top it up, I just don't remember what I saw or what the level was around that time...

If I can't reassure myself it's at a good level I won't mention the whining that's developed at/above 2.5krpm or slightly clattery sound from cold start.

Also yes, I know I'm an idiot for not knowing this by heart after 18 months ;)

Cheers!

The hatched area would be the recomended range min-max. On level ground, with the engine off and, a few minutes for oil to run back to the sump if its been running recently.

Excellent, thanks. It's at the top after sitting in this 4C weather on a flat for 8 hours. Black as treacle, but the right level. No surprise it's burnt really, it mostly does 4.5 miles twice a day :?

Mentioning the whining and clattering it is, then! I should probably mention that the spanner flashed up for a fraction of a second a few months back while sitting in traffic too. I didn't even see it, my other half noticed it. I think it had a mix of 95 and 98 in it though, switching back to super from normal. An occasional knock is probably to be expected in that case.

Quite the list overall, with the knocking steering, poor cold running, rattly seat and self-opening boot as well. I still love it though and at least it's not costing me £2k a year to keep going like my M3 was... :D

Well, they could reproduce the rattling seat anyway. Apparently the official Renault kit is a rubber washer. The boot worked fine for them, the anti-kangaroo update didn't show up on the system, and they agree there's a steering knock but couldn't find anything wrong.

I really need to dig up the code for the firmware and check the boots myself before it goes back in for the seat "fix".

Edit: Dug up the code from the "Kangarooing from cold, cold start problem" thread, "Renault actis solution 8071". The guy showed me the few they did find and check, including one for 2.5-2.8krpm "jolt"ing that was resolved in production around March 2010, before mine was built. Maybe the kangarooing was too? Maybe I'm just a perfectionist and/or a bad driver? :lol:

It's back in. They didn't get instructions with the foam rubber lumps and had lost the original job card so had to ring me to find out what they were for. Also, apparently Actis 8071 doesn't exist and there's no way the balljoint boots would fail except by a mechanic tearing them when repairing the clutch.

Sigh.

Still, at least the tech had the boot misbehave, so he's ordered new bits that are coming on Thursday.

BikNorton":2zgoofht said:
and there's no way the balljoint boots would fail except by a mechanic tearing them when repairing the clutch.

Well that's clearly not true. It's a well known problem now, if you phone RUK I'm pretty sure they'll be aware of it the number of people they've dealt with about it now.

Check out this thread https://www.twingo133.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2955

And even the current last post :-

Dazza1":2zgoofht said:
The bloke where I took mine looked on there warranty computer and it said for the ball joints Reno pay 100% of it

(and slightly earlier)

Dabbot":2zgoofht said:
Dazza1":2zgoofht said:
Dabbot":2zgoofht said:
had mine replaced on monday both complete fooked
Was there any problems with them bein done under warranty or was ruk humming and hiring about doin it?

no mate no bother at all i phoned RUK before i even took it to the dealer but they replaced under warrenty no problem because it was a common fault

Yeah, I know. We'll see what they say on Thursday when I pick it up. I still haven't actually been able to check them myself, I did try but couldn't get a clear look.

they put a new driveshaft in it. Seems to have fixed the knocking from the corner. And the seat doesn't rattle! Hooray!