oil on top of engine

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky eddie

Reaction score
Hi can anyone shed some light on this please I have a little oil that keeps appearing on top of my engine I have taken some photos. I saw it last week cleaned it all away and it's back again

Attachments

• IMG_2014050258931.jpg
    IMG_2014050258931.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 10,651
  • IMG_2014050239906.jpg
    IMG_2014050239906.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10,650
Have a check of your oil level too. Had an oil leak from the sealant at the back and lost quite a bit over time.

Yeah had a look 3/4 in there but wondered if it was the star of something bad??? What was the out come of your leak??....

markhardy":npgeeqei said:
Rocker cover gasket?

I have just had this repaired under warranty and looked the same as this.

Also changed cam and auxiliary belts so no need to change again for 5 years.

Car is only 18 months old so was surprised to have a oil leak, must be a common fault.

Doesn't have a rocker cover gasket it's sealed with sealant so maybe they didn't use enough or put it in the correct place ??

snap some pictures a little further away so i can see where exactly this is on the engine will you? it would let me diagnose the culprate for you. k4m's on the laguna / scenic were a bit iffy with their thermostats. the gasket leaked out oil as there is an oil line passing through the thermostat housing. it's definitely not the start of something scary, and i can assure you it's not a common fault so don't worry too much about that.

i was working on a megane rs today and the poor guy thought that his car was doomed because it was pissing out oil and he was putting in a litre of oil every few days. prime example of people thinking the worst case scenario lol, it turned out to be an oil pressure switch was very loose ..... you've got to love renault dealership mechanics ;)

When I say gasket I meant sealant

I still refer to it as a gasket lol

it is a gasket mark, it's a liquid gasket :) hardens to form a solid gasket. corrected your attempt at self correction lol, first time i can say i've ever done that in my life!

markhardy":n8eno0iv said:
I've give my self a headache

I'm out.

we_love_tv_20_07_10_image_2_225887864.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys.... Oscar I will post some more pics further back but I'm no David baily cheers :lol:

The yellow bolt head is for the follower on the square cam, of the exhaust camshaft.

So, that's on the drivers side, just under the inlet plenum chamber.

Is there any oil on the underside of the inlet plenum? Crank case breather oil does collect here and some inlets are a bit thin/porous... Mine shows oil stains through it in a few places.

Otherwise, its either the yellow bolt, or one of the black ones which secure the top part of the head down, which also act as the camshaft top bearing bolts.

So does it just need tightening up? I'm not Much of a mechanic? :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_2014050325425.jpg
    IMG_2014050325425.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10,583
  • IMG_2014050313547.jpg
    IMG_2014050313547.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10,584
looks like it could be leaking camshaft seals bud .... my minds went a blank embarassingly as to what that 'sensory looking thing' is again, i know neils going to reply and give me a headshake and a tut too lol :D but it could be leaking from there. you see that it's coming outwards and settling down only in there. what to do is clean it up, degreaser on it to remove the oil and let it dry then run the engine for a good half hour on idle to watchout for any oil coming out even if it's only one little bubble or two, you'll be able to identify where it's coming from this way if you can't find the source of the leak by following the oil run lines up to the source!

don't forget that gravity works one way when it comes to oil lol, downwards!

VVT actuation solenoid ;)

Oil couldn't really get to the rear of the black bolt from here, without being well messy.

Feel the underside of the inlet chamber above the oiled area.. If that's wet,then its jus the porous inlet casting and your kind of stuck with it.

The black bolts would need torquing correctly if you were to remove one and put some sealant round it.

Ok guys thanks I will investigate some more tomorrow..... I've got to lay a drive way now to keep the other half happy!!! Better get it done after she told me to buy a little run a bout and I bought the twingo which seems to be mine now lol :mrgreen: cheers

Going in to renault on Monday to be looked at under warranty... Wish me luck :D