Old timer

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougmc81

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm a bit of a old timer, had my Twingo GT from new when I got it in March 08. Never had any mods carried out other than new floor mats every year.

I was at one time many, moons ago, involved in 'Edinburgh Cruise' moderating the website and helping organise the meets. But ended up getting my GF at the time (now my wife) pregnant and drifted away from the scene, sold my car and used public transport.

Been a member on here for a few months, mainly just reading up on things and recently got the bug to start looking at the tuning of the engine and improving it's capability & lifespan.

been a while since i've attended an edinburgh cruise myself, is that the same as lothian cruise or whatever it's called? done the falkirk cruise but that ones funny hahaha. falkirk wheel to mcdonalds WAYHEY what a lifestyle. plenty of joint stops in between obviously right? ;)

It's been about 10 years since i've been to a cruise, not sure if any of the old guard are still running it or what it is called now adays Only ever attended a Livi cruise once (i'm sure it was there first official one) and we got moved out of a car park onto the M8!!

seriously? that must have been a swift kick right in the charlie chaplins haha!! the whole cruise thing really isn't my thing either, it's just so boring!!! edinburgh should be absolutely buzzing tonight though :D royal mile will be a no go area like lol

Edinburgh is crazy this time of year, but atleast it's not snowing!

Only seen the odd Twingo around Edinburgh and usually being driven by someone double my age, much to the amusement of my wife.

Still a regular to all the cruises in Edinburgh/Fife etc, always at Falkirk too! Quite a few Scottish members on here actually aha

Oh well bought the car new and looks like it is going to the scrap yard tomorrow.

Turbo has gone and died on me, garage wishing me to hand over around £1400 for it to be replaced.

Bye Bye Twingo it's been emotional.....

No idea mate! You'll have to do some phoning round to see who could do it :)
Could you always find someone breaking a GT on ebay etc and buy the parts needed from them? I doubt even the full engine would be 1400?

member/alex12fowler/ contact alex, his father is breaking a twingo gt. he should still have the turbo left. to remove / replace the turbo, it takes about 3-4 hours book time so take this into consideration

cost of turbo from alex (80-150 would be good)
4 x hours of labour @ £££££ w/e the garage charges
+ consumables such as new bolts and wd40, locktite and new manifold gaskets + turbo gaskets add on another 50
+ vat

you shouldn't be seeing much more than 500 quid mate. as for a turbo upgrade, only do that if you are up for chasing power. for example i have a TD04 sitting in my garage right now, off of a subaru impreza wrx just waiting for the day when i can be bothered but i probably wont be bothered. all it would entail to convert the turbo would be to cut off the old flange faces from exhaust manifold, weld on new flange faces to match the new turbo .... position the turbo and then connect the plumbing up and you are good to go. it's not really a major job, but not worthwhile if you're not going far down the modification route

doug i notice you're from edinburgh. if you'd like, i'd be happy to do the car for you on a weekend once you get the turbo sourced as you're just along the motorway from me, will do the job for peanuts and have you up and running in no time but i don't really do mobile jobs just so you know hahaha. but i will offer to help a dude out when i can!

£1200 seems really high as Oscar said it's about £500-£700 usually

LC":s20gwu1p said:
£1200 seems really high as Oscar said it's about £500-£700 usually

nah, the turbo's about a grand alone to buy new from renault so around 1400 after 4 hours of labour and vat seems about spot on. just no need to be going down a new turbo route if you just want back on the road again and your wallet isn't an endless pit

There was a turbo + manifold on the old bay of E for around the £450 mark non exchange. Another option there.

Also protooxide offer a turbo manifold with a range of different flanges for £320 ;)

Cheers for the offer Oscar, kept it in the dealers and got them down to just under a grand as I wasn't in a great rush to get her back so they are fixing her when they have time to fit it in between jobs.

Dougmc81":3d9gbntn said:
Cheers for the offer Oscar, kept it in the dealers and got them down to just under a grand as I wasn't in a great rush to get her back so they are fixing her when they have time to fit it in between jobs.

sound doug! are they going to give you a new turbo, or will it be a reconditioned turbo with the work they are carrying out? the job itself will entail an oil change, so make sure they stamp your service book as an oil change etc! win win yasss lol

The saga continues........picked the car up today after getting a new turbo fitted, service and MOT.

I got 5 miles down the road, engine didn't feel like it was responding, hit a hill in 5th gear, no power, misfiring, smoke from exhaust, engine management light flashing, service light on and one pissed off me.

After phoning the dealer, I phoned the AA to to pick me up, road side diagnosis done. Got a tow to the garage (fairly scary) to only be told I would be charged for a new diagnosis and if any other work needed done from dealer.

So alot of arguing (2 hours) camped up in the dealership refusing to leave without a car, being told bu**sheet. I was introduced to a nice manager (whom I was told had left and went home) who sorted me out a car, that only 15 minutes before was not available hmmmm

This is it in short and I'm sure the recorded telephone calls and CCTV will be priceless. But I venture on and sure the next few days will be fun and full of argument.