Ongoing saga!!!!!!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_McLav

Reaction score
So my cup failed her mot for a second year in a row because - it only has one cat on her and not 2. Again I argued the point and garage said Renault says they come with 2 cats. I do have a custom cat back exhaust so I called k-tec who were extremely friendly and helpful land stated again that these cars have one cat only (which I knew already but double checked) then I called Renault who stated they come with one also. I'm getting fed up with this called vosa for advice and I've to get a written letter and diagram off renualt to prove to a qualified mechanic that my car has only one cat. The emissions pass no problems. Driving me nuts!!

only a few cars manufacturers use two cats, infact it's mainly japanese cars that will use two cats. this is because european catalytic converters are a 3 way cat in which one cat deals with the 3 emissions bi products of NOx / HC / CO (oxides of nitrogen, hydrocarbons ie fuel, carbon monoxide). japanese cars use a 2 way cat, which deal with NOx and CO and usually incorporate a small second cat to tackle the HC's ....

I've just spoken to our MOT tester for you, and he's asked if you noticed were the mechanics and staff wearing stirrups when you dealt with them?
Cowboy_throwing_lasso_010.jpg

the MOT testers handbook states that an exhaust system can only be tested by the VOSA regulations regarding the original build of the exhaust system and tested on the regulations regarding the year or period of production, which offcourse will meet the regulations set out by VOSA for the age of the car. the MOT tester has no way to check wether or not the car came with 1 cat, 2 cats, 3 cats or 10 cats. he can only test what is given to him, to ensure that it meets or exceeds the minimum requirements for emissions :)

what you want to do is phone VOSA to form an official complaint with the issuing MOT station. remember that they work for VOSA and not the garage in hand, so it's not the actual garages problem.

and to finnish this essay off, offcourse the twingo comes with 1 cat. all petrol powered renaults do, and have done since 1991.

so now you have the word of an former renault RTE to add to your list. REPORT THEM! :)

or just boot him in the baws n take it elsewhere, jumped up jobs worth if u ask me no need!!!!

So I went to another garage and they passed the car no problem. Told them my story and they were shocked that such a well known garage could do that. I'm waiting on renualt to send to me in writing that the car was only made with 1 cat and with a diagram of the cars exhaust system and I'll be back for a refund for the mot cost. I have talked to vosa and if I don't get my refund I will push this further, don't want to be a dick but I'm not standing for this.
Oscar I didn't know I could complain to vosa and will do so if needed :)

Was on the phone with renualt today, turns out they called the garage who failed my car and spoke to the mot tester and from what I understand the garage who sold me my car are the ones responsible for supplying the mot station with the wrong diagram, and renualt are now trying to contact the person who gave out the diagram. Pretty impressed with renualt, not impressed with the garage who fits exhausts for a living needing a diagram for a twingo.

hahaha you'd crap your pants if renault phoned you to give you a polite roasting alongside an educational slagging about their exhaust systems.

it would have been epic if they ended the call with ''aye, that's you telt ya fud. stick that up yer pipe and rev it. catch!'' hahahaha

I'm holding my breath the day I have to go to the first Belgian MOT aka **** camp (sorry for any German people reading this) but they are assholes here.

I'm hoping they're not going to complain about the sportscat Ktec installed. They made it look as OEM as possible but still.

I'm going to have to swap my coilovers back to stock suspension and on it's original wheels to make it look as stock as possible so they don't get too much suspicion the car has been modded.

MovingShadow":2iyl13l8 said:
I'm holding my breath the day I have to go to the first Belgian MOT aka **** camp (sorry for any German people reading this) but they are assholes here.

I'm hoping they're not going to complain about the sportscat Ktec installed. They made it look as OEM as possible but still.

I'm going to have to swap my coilovers back to stock suspension and on it's original wheels to make it look as stock as possible so they don't get too much suspicion the car has been modded.

don't you know any dodgy testers who will pass your car regardless of what's wrong with it for a few £/$ !??!
i know a few lol. 50 for the MOT and 20/30 on top of that.

those european MOT's sound crap, i hope we don't get them in the uk anytime soon