Parking fine at uni

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubz

Reaction score
Just got a car parking fine for overstaying in a 30 minute spot. I had an exam and the guy wouldn't allow me in the main car parking area.

It's a civil parking notice for the attendant having reasonable cause for over staying.

£35 if paid in 14 days or £70 in 28 days.

It's been issued by The Car Parking Partnership.

Do I have to pay it? Or is it just an invitation to pay?

Dubz":2ln5x6de said:
Just got a car parking fine for overstaying in a 30 minute spot. I had an exam and the guy wouldn't allow me in the main car parking area.

It's a civil parking notice for the attendant having reasonable cause for over staying.

£35 if paid in 14 days or £70 in 28 days.

It's been issued by The Car Parking Partnership.

Do I have to pay it? Or is it just an invitation to pay?

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co....ING-PARTNERSHIP-FINE..-ignore-or-2nd-appeal-!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=30967437

Tell them to suck your swingers....

(or in fact dont, just completely ignore them)

To be honest if you ignore it you most likely won't hear anything from them. In the rare case that you do, ignore that... Then you'll most likely be forgotten about.

As far as I'm aware they can request your details and will sometimes be granted but even then they can't demand money from you. Only time you have to pay up is if it's council/gonvernment...

Thanks guys. I'll ignore it. First time getting a fine so I doubt they'll do anything about it

I think the advice to totally ignore it is now out of date and the 'fine' must be disputed. New laws came into effect over a year ago regarding this, so simply ignoring it may not make the problem go away.

They will need to prove you owe them money for the service they have provided, and that you knowingly entered into an agreement or contract with them.
The company will be providing the service to the Uni and you would be best speaking to someone from the university as any reasonable human being would back your story up and they should be able to cancel it. The reason fines are there for this is to stop people being inconvenienced, and not (primarily) to inconvenience people themselves.

The ticket itself says " Car Park Attendant has reasonable cause to believe that a Civil Parking Notice has been incurred"

To me that basically says that you could have possible bene there slightly over30 minutes
It's a very vague statement

Currently reading though this https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/private-parking-penalties/

I'm going to raise a point if that the car parking attendant has physical proof of me overstaying the allotted time.

Just read this on the uni website

Vehicles must be parked wholly within a designated bay so as not to restrict access to adjoining bays.
Vehicles in a disabled bay must be parked clearly displaying a valid blue badge and have an appropriate permit at all times.
Vehicles must not be parked on yellow lines or in cross hatched areas.
Vehicles must not be parked so as to cause obstruction or inconvenience to others.
Vehicles must not be parked on footpaths or grass verges.
Vehicles must not be parked in unauthorised areas or restricted bays unless eligible to do so.
If you fail to comply with any of these conditions you agree to pay a parking charge

If I've complied with these than that mean I don't have to pay the charge?

Well it doesn't saying anything about overstaying so you should be good.

civil law is contractual based, involving the use of complicated statutes of ''law''. the more you delve deep into it, the more they have you right where they want you as the idea is to confuse you beyond belief until you feel like an ant in the universe in terms of what you're up against. if you keep it fully simple, the basics of a contract is : offer --> consideration --> acceptance / refusal / negotiation. did you read the sign upon entering? if you didn't, then you did not enter in to any contract. they will have to prove that god doesn't exist should you ''swear this is the truth, with God as my witness'' in turn to prove that you didn't enter into the contract. been there, done that, enjoyed the process!

dubz mate that sounds so stupid i know, checkout some dean clifford youtube videos or 'anti-terrorist' standing in court videos, and you'll absolutely crap yourself :D judges being thrown out of court and that! haha

The way I see it, unless it's from the police or the council, fling it in the bin. It's not a "fixed penalty notice" (what the authorities would give you), it's a "parking charge notice", i.e. an invoice or invitation from them for you to pay them the "fine".

I used to get them for a while for overstaying the limit at a Halfords car park in town, it was from "Total parking solutions" or something like that. It started off as a fine of £30, which would rise to £70. I got another letter asking again and demanding £70 this time. Few weeks later and another few letters, I finally got a letter from a debt collecting agency demanding £150. They resent that letter a few times before sending me one which was a "reduced payment offer" which went down to £100.

It was after that they finally gave up and haven't heard a dicky from them since. It's scaremongery in order to try and get money from you. The sad thing is, some people (probably a lot of people) would pay it too.

Wipe your ar$e on it and stick it in the bin.

I received a parking 'charge' from one of these bullsh!t parking firms. I stayed in a carpark for 11 minutes which wasn't sign posted properly and the only machine they had was a pay by phone thing.

I got sent a £75 charge or it'd be doubled to £150 if I didn't pay within 14 days. I binned the first letter, they sent a second one which was much the same as the first. Then the final letter was far more intimidating. Telling me if they take me to court I'll owe them £400 and could possibly face debt collectors etc.

I binned that too and 7 months later and nothing. They basically play on scaring you into paying a charge which you don't have to pay.

As I've previously posted, this "ignore it" is largely out dated.

Have a read HERE specifically THIS section. This is the regulator, who the issuing company should be a member of.

I would contact the land owner and not the parking company myself, as it is meant to be a service to provide convenience to others, and is not intended to inconvenience those who have legitimate reasons. Reasonably, they can not charge such high fees, really they are pursuing loss of earnings (is it pay and display?) and as such it would be fair to charge the extended stay at whatever rate they charge. The only difference if you ignore it is that to obtain money from you they would have to pursue via the court. The realistic chances of this happening are slim, but if they actually decided to you could end up with a much larger (and legitimate) bill.

I'm not going to ignore it as I've been reading up on the laws and what rights I have. Honestjohn.co.uk do have some really good information on there.

It was free car parking and as a student that has already paid for his tuition fees for this year the university or the third party shouldn't be able to pursue loss of earnings. I'm going to take some pictures of where my car was parked and explain my reasons for possibly staying over allotted time

don't know if it's of any use to you dubz but last week i was in the magistrates court over a parking fine. i was parked on college grounds in a disabled parking space which wasn't marked as disabled, but according to the company who deals with the parking permits and manages the car park it's still somehow disabled.

anyway ...

if you have a little read up on 'sovereign free man' movements in the uk, and begin to read into how the law works in terms of common law and how acts of parliament and statute 'law' cannot be enforced on you without consent.

walked out of the magistrates with no fine.

for example ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpRAay8HLE

oscar":jrdw6lzu said:
don't know if it's of any use to you dubz but last week i was in the magistrates court over a parking fine. i was parked on college grounds in a disabled parking space which wasn't marked as disabled, but according to the company who deals with the parking permits and manages the car park it's still somehow disabled.

I read somewhere recently that a disabled bay cannot be enforced as such unless there is a clearly visible sign, and simply having it marked on the ground as a disabled bay cannot be legally enforced as such. It's more immoral than illegal I guess...

yeah funky_d you are right, it's nothing complicated really. some people will not use their common sense and take the fine. good to see that dubz has challenged this and hopefully you get it thrown out soon man

Just got this email from them

We are considering your case and will contact you again as soon as possible. Your case will remain on hold until a decision on your appeal is sent to you.

Sounding positive. I think