Perfect Set Up

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
I am buying a set of adjustable dampers. I know that its subjective, but what are peoples opinions on the ideal setup of a front wheel drive car? Ive only prepped rear wheel drive before and assume its not as obvious as 'do the opposite' :roll:

Mr Ben and Al would be interested in hearing your opinions as frequent trackdayers.

Are you talking in regards to for example softer damping on the rear than on the front to counteract oversteer?

Or ride height.

Damping, im happy with ride height. Is that what you would suggest then, a softer rear end?

True, thats why I said subjective. Was after a base set up to work from. Any suggestions Frediii?

Hi Steve - just seen this - I've PMed you back but feel free to post it in here for discussion.

Al Posted

In my experience - baring in mind I have stock on the 133 - is start with a middle point (I presume they are click adjustable - so say they have 12 settings go for middle being 6) and work from there.

As you say there is no "right" way of doing it for road. Where as I would probably go for 4/5 out of 12 where I live (which would be hard enough due to the city roads) you may live somewhere with smoother more enjoyable roads and go for 6/7.

Even if they aren't click adjustable (I've had spanner ones before) apply the same principle.

Of course as you say it's all subjective so just have a play and go with what you feel is optimal for your situation. If the rear is skipping charges are it's too hard set up. If the front is giving understeer, same again. If the back skips but front is fairly grippy adjust the backs to softer and see what happens.

It'd be good if you could stick in on a computer like tracking and get it done "correctly" but unfortunately (unless you are Ferrari or the like) it's not possible. Tracking as a general rule, is either correct or not. Dampers...well you get the idea.....

Hope this helps bud - if you need any help at all let me know and hopefully we can come up with the best combination of handling and driveability. I can also help with camber if you intend to play around with that and also if they are going to be posh dampers with recoil/damper.

Al

They are posh adjustable ones as far as im aware. Been looking at camber, what angle would you recommend? I assume not too harsh for general road use? Which bolts?

As with above, for both recoil and damper I'd start with a middle point. If they are Spax ones chances are they are suited for fast road etc use so the middle setting would make an ideal point. (If they were AST track set up ones, I'd start with low settings and comparatively they would be very different at say setting 0)

The damper rate can be harder if you fancy - it's the recoil you probably want to get correct to begin with.

For road use I'd personally not play with the camber much at all. The furthest I'd probably go would be some camber adjustment bolts/spacers on the hub - pushing the bottom out slightly. No idea whether they do specific Twingo ones (probably not) but a Google search will show what I mean. Any further and it'll be fairly harsh on tyre wear and I imagine (not that I've tried on the road) fairly interesting in the wet. You can of course play around with top mount camber adjustment but I've never tired this so can't really comment.

For the price of the camber bolts, ill get a set and have a play around.

dont use camber on the roads dude, quick tyre wear and did make steers quite hard, but i did try it on full lock and go for -1 on the back for safe alrounder. ive got plates but you can use washers for a cheaper means or to add more to it.
ats mounts are your best bet for fronts.

Ah, the lowering hasnt really affected the camber anyway. Only 40mm