pops and bangs

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasged

Reaction score
Ive got a ktec cat back and decat on my twingo gt yet I still cant get it to pop much, any ideas why not?

Cheers

What other mods do u have. A custom remap would possibly do the trick and larger injectors if needed (ie 133 ones if they fit?)

Got a dump valve and k&n aswell man, will be getting mapped next friday so hopefully that'll do the trick

True they really are basically Eco cars more or less from what I know. U will be able to get it to pop ect but will need a few mods.

hello thomas. the only way to make your twingo gt pop and bang will be to remove the catalytic converter and get a customised remap. the reason why a car pops and bangs is all down to ignition timing, the spark will be cut at certain points and the fuel will be pushed and down into the exhaust and will be ignited by the next pulse from the next cylinder or by the heat from the exhaust manifold. you can do this with a catalytic converter, but i need to warn you that they aren't cheap. dumping unburned fuel onto a catalytic converter will destroy the precious rhodium inside, in which case you will fail on NOs emissions.

Rob_McLav":7q8crwji said:
What other mods do u have. A custom remap would possibly do the trick and larger injectors if needed (ie 133 ones if they fit?)

i couldn't say for sure, but i would imagine from an educated guess that the 133 injectors will be roughly the same flow rate as the gt and only an ever so slightly greater flow rate in the best case scenario. remember that a turbo car, in this instance the gt may have an atmospheric capacity of 1.2L at cylindrical compression. with the addition of a turbocharger, you are forcing more air into the same space. essentially making it the equivelant of a 1.6L engine atmospheric in capacity on a standard boost map from factory.

you won't need to worry about injectors to pop and bang. just get a custom map, and i can't stress the custom part! you need to inform the person doing the ECU programming that you want pops and bangs so that he can advance the ignition on lift off / overrun. where are you based thomas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dEXOnZ7KGo

you can also look into the installation of a rev limiter, although a very extreme example basically what it does is cuts the ignition signal without the need for a remap. if you go down this route, i'd strongly recommend a decat and to have it installed by an automotive electrician who knows what he's doing. this in it's basic form is what you see in WRC cars, you'd know it as anti-lag. it will also provide you with launch control. don't expect a twingo gt to ever look or sound close to this goliath though!!!

I live in perth, scotland mate, i ll have a word with the boy mapping my car and let him know about it not popping etc

Rob_McLav":30862ukl said:
True they really are basically Eco cars more or less from what I know. U will be able to get it to pop ect but will need a few mods.
Tbh, I don't find it that Eco friendly. True that it can be, but when driven hard it's quite thirsty.

I have a costume made backbox from Skytune and when driven in a certain way, it can pop.

Curious what the Ktec decat is going to be with this backbox and how it is going to sound. IMO, I hope it won't pop too much as it is still a daily.

MovingShadow":2oce615u said:
Rob_McLav":2oce615u said:
Tbh, I don't find it that Eco friendly. True that it can be, but when driven hard it's quite thirsty.

I have a costume made backbox from Skytune and when driven in a certain way, it can pop.

Curious what the Ktec decat is going to be with this backbox and how it is going to sound. IMO, I hope it won't pop too much as it is still a daily.

its just going to sound like this :p ( aren't you installing a sportscat for MOT belgium thingie legal something isues ?)

[youtube]X1sji4Cqzu0[/youtube]

True, it's going to be decat with a sportscat. They recommended it themselfs for getting me through Belgian MOT.

i believe it's single thomas, digitally controlled by the ECM. are you considering a rev limiter of sorts?

Cheers man, yeah gonna get the omex rev limiter and launch control, my mate has it on his c2 and it works well

excellent man, you shall enjoy it :) make sure you get a good auto electrician to install it though mate. they'll have all the technical data for your specific ECU with all the wiring diagrams. should be an hour or two to install, and they usually charge the same labour rates as your usual backstreet garage so it's not too costly. possibly a good idea to still get a remap though to optimise the fuelling for launches so as to minimise damage to your catalytic converter

Okay ive got my car back for the remap, he advanced the ignition timing yet he says he still couldnt get it to pop! Could it be the baffles in the ktec backbox stopping it? The cars decatted so I dont see any other reason why it won't? Ive had a couple of pops but only when ive hit the limiter, please help haha?

on standard ECU you can only advance the ignition timing by so much, the ECU controls it and you don't have much leverage over how much to increase or reduce by. usually 6 degrees +/- . the baffles won't help it much, you need a true straight through system with no baffles. the baffles won't affect that too much, but if you wanted the occasional flame or anything (should that be your thing) you won't ever see one without a true straight through system (backbox with no baffles, no cat and no silencers). you'll require a the fuelling to be spot on too. too lean a mixture and it'll still be burning combusting as it comes out the cylinder, too rich and the combustion will be over before of gets to the manifold preventing bangs. the trick is on the over run, usually you will cut the spark which is where your omex will come in thomas. what it does, is cuts the spark plug from firing for one power stroke. so that out the exhaust, gets pushed fuel and air unburnt and as it hits the cherry hot manifold it will ignite and go BANG! some ECU's you can programme this in, but not sure on the factory renault ECU's mate.

Okay man cheers, once the launch control is in it ll hopefully pop the baffles out the back box so I dont need to change it haha, I ll let you know how I get on, thanks mate