Possible Servo overheating? (track day)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSL1337

Reaction score
Hi guys
Any track day users here?

Last week i was at a local renault garage, and they read my error codes, and one hidden error said: Servo overheating.
I didn't notice anything before, the guy hadn't seen anyithing like that before, so i thought nothing of it.
Today i was at another track day, It was a semi hot day here, and it's a short, very twisty circuit, so i have to work the steering quite a lot.
After around 15-20mins constant attack, the steering gets very heavy after 90 degree lock. After that, I stopped, let the car cool for 20 min, and went back to the tarck. It was fine for another 20 min, and the steering felt very heavy past 90 degree lock. Again, the i let the car cool, 20 min, it was fine, for 15 minutes.
Anyone had similiar issues before?

Anything I can do, or is it just not designed for THIS heavy track driving?

I have a few other questions about oils. How often do you guys change it. (Engine, brake, transmission?)
I have RS monitor, and is 130-140 degree a lot? If i drive on the motorway @4300revs (140kph, around 80mph), it's 140 for the whole way. If i slow down, it cools down in a minute. So is that the normal range?

Another funny thing, i didn't have last year. My new front Conti3-s wear in a weird way.

IMG_20130518_131545.jpg

the outside part is much (i guess) taller, than the one "row" next to it. I've never seen that one before either. Too low pressure maybe?

Last question about track tyres.
I think i might buy a set of R888-s for next year. Will the brakes and the suspension handle the extra grip? Compared to the stock Conti3-s?

One other thing.
I use the engine brake quite a lot on track, and for me, the heel and toe technique is not easy in the Twingo, so sometimes my wheels block for a split second.
How does it affect the gearbox, or 130bhp can't really do much damage to it?
THX!

I've seen his vid's, they are awesome, but the nordschleife isn't a slow, 2nd-3rd gear, corner only type track, and he has quite a few mods :)

Power steering fluid can overheat if worked hard in an already heated engine bay...

I might look into some Heat Shielding of your P.S Reservoir and look at getting more COLD air INTO the engine bay and more HOT air OUT :)
If all else fails, change your Power Steering Fluid for some fresh stuff :)

Hang on....Come to think of it, is the Twingo RS EPAS? (Electronic Power Assisted Steering)

Engine Brake and Heel/Toe wise, provided you aren't over revving your engine when you're dropping it down into gear, it can't do too much bad.
I recently broke the upper gearbox mount after Heel Toeing and changing to 2nd over a bump coming into a tight corner :( too much flex in the mount and just went bang.

Might be worthwhile looking into uprated engine and gearbox mountings...

For Heel Toe help, maybe look into a larger throttle pedal pad?

Hope it helps :)

If the engine bay is too hot for it, why would you think an oil change (servo) would help it?
If the servo overheats, can it couse any problems, brake/damage something? Why does it make the steering heavier after 90 deg? Or it has some kind of fail safe, and just turns it off?

BTW, I don't overrev the engine on downsift. I downshift always at the same place, so i know the car can go at X speed, and X gear is fine for that. I thought the extra stress might hurt it. Last year, when my (WELDED, omfg) repaired engine mount broke, i thought it was the gearbox, that gave up on my abuse. When i was waiting for the trailer, i swore i won't do heavy engine brakeing anymore. But those damn time attack seconds are so damn addictive:D

Thx.

The power steering is an electric servo motor. I understand the Power steering ECU monitors the temperature and can cut the assistance if its getting too hot.

Theres several people putting EPAS onto Mk2 Clios which previously had hydraulic systems. They are also adding one of these controllers to simulate the speed sensors etc which the EPS needs. This then allows them to adjust the power steering feel by adjusting the dial... Maybe allowing you to turn yours down when on track, therefore producing less heat build up???? Wether it would work directly on the Twingo would need some research
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-2-Kit-Electric-power-steering-controller-box-ECU-plug-EPAS-/180984984338?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a238bb312

Thank you, I'll ask around

so if i feel the steering is heavy, i shouldn't be worried, just get on with it, the car already cut the assist, so it won't get any hotter, i just get an even better workout?
If that's the case, i don't mind for 1 or 2 days a year

Its probably because your track is relatively slow speed tight corners (low speed and high steering force), so the EPS is giving a high amount of input which wouldn't normally be seen for prolonged periods on the road or a faster track. I don't know if the EPS is completely cut or recuced when it stiffens up from over heating.

I imagine road orientated tyres like the CS3 would be thankful of a rest after 20 minute sessions anyway as yours have shown

CS3's are usually better than i'd expect them to be.

they gave the best grip on the 2nd lap, and after that, it's around a second slower for the next 10 min, so they can take the 'beating', don't turn to sh*t. i'll just wait 20 min, and go again