Removing Callipers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty_doh

Reaction score
Evening all,

Wanting to remove the callipers (calipers?) from my car to clean them up and give them a lick of (silver) paint as they were poorly painted by the previous owner and appear to be corroding.

The problem is, I want to do a proper job so want to remove them from the car, but I haven't the foggiest how to do so!

Can anyone tell me if a simpleton with basic tools can remove them? I don't want to start faffing with them if it's difficult since the brakes are fairly important!

If it's a complex job, I'll just ask the mechanic to remove them when the car goes in for a service on Friday rather than attempt it and balls it up :)

Problem with removing them means you will need to re bleed the whole system

If you don't know how, then don't remove the calipers as of it goes wrong it's your brakes and your life that your messing with.
Could you not get a wire wheel for a drill and give them a clean up masking off the nipple and flex hose ? Then give it a fresh coat.

Cheers for the replies all!

I was going to remove the callipers (How do you spell that? Is it one L or two?) as they are corroded so wanted to soak them in some oxidisation killer stuff I've got.

The car was in for a service yesterday and I mentioned it to the mechanic, who said he would remove and refit them for me so as soon as I've got a few hours spare (And got some decent paint) I'll take it down to him and have him remove them, then refit them the following day. They look naff now because they were poorly done so I want to make sure they are done properly this time!

I'm thinking of painting mine in the future, i wouldnt be taking them off myself as i wouldnt have a clue to be fair. So my question is how good a job can you do with just the wheel off? Or would it be better to get someone to take them off and help/do it for me?