Removing wheels

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordini_133

Reaction score
Hey guys, i wanted to remove my wheels to give them a thorough clean, the back wheels came off with a little bang of my fist, but the front wheels did not come off at all, couldnt get them off, does anyone know why? is it a problem with the car or something? its a gordini

naa its usual on cars how a days... the metals have oxidized and bonded together.. with alot of force and hitting them with a hammer round the back, they will come off eventually!

take it its best to use a rubber mallet? dont wana be hitting it with a solid hammer lol

Rubber mallet to the back fella! It's perfectly normal mine was exactly the same.

When I put them back on I used some copper paste (can't remember the exact name) put that on the hub and means they come off easily next time :)

Its usual on cars that get serviced at main dealers as they rarely take the wheels off.

its only a year old lol i think pritchp is right, ill get the rubber mallet out, if that doesnt work, then renault can do it for me lol

jra3d":2w5jsw9l said:
Rubber mallet to the back fella! It's perfectly normal mine was exactly the same.

When I put them back on I used some copper paste (can't remember the exact name) put that on the hub and means they come off easily next time :)

Completely agree, whenever I remove my alloys I always put copper paste on the back and also on the wheel bolts

As said, a leather or rubber mallet will do the job.

Copper ease?? Or Copper Grease? lol Either way it'll need that on the hub for next time.

blt_367.JPG

What you'll often find is that if a wheel is freshly painted the hub will need to wire brushed a bit or it's a bit too tight a fit. My wheels on my Lupo were refurbished and fitted straight on, were a right ball ache to get them off! lol

loosen the wheel bolts 180°(half a turn - not more) and gently (SLOWLY) drive 10 meters... then they come off easy

frediiii":3ggnadaj said:
loosen the wheel bolts 180°(half a turn - not more) and gently (SLOWLY) drive 10 meters... then they come off easy

:eek:

DONT DO THIS!!

s111bkt":f0cybe8j said:
frediiii":f0cybe8j said:

DONT DO THIS!!

Why not? It is a pretty widely used method of removing stuck wheels.

At half a turn like Frediii says, there is just enough slack to break the bond, but not enough for the wheel to move outwards more than a couple of thou, which will keep it on the hub just fine.

matty_doh":2r7vsp45 said:
s111bkt":2r7vsp45 said:
frediiii":2r7vsp45 said:

DONT DO THIS!!

Why not? It is a pretty widely used method of removing stuck wheels.

At half a turn like Frediii says, there is just enough slack to break the bond, but not enough for the wheel to move outwards more than a couple of thou, which will keep it on the hub just fine.
The hub spigot is (aprox from memory) 6mm deep. slackening 1/2 a turn will give a max of 0.75mm (as thread pitch is 1.5mm) Taking into account some of the slack would be releaving the bolt tension, theres not much danger of the wheel falling off whilst doing a slow drive for a short distance. Without slamming on the brakes or dropping the clutch for an emergency start, the wheel bolts shouldn't be taking huge shear forces.

So, why DONT DO THIS!!??