Renault MOT & Service Plan - HELP!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly_GT

Reaction score
When I bought my car I was advised to take out the 3 year MOT & Service Plan and was ensured by the salesman & manager at my local arnold clark that this would cover the costs of parts and labour so I would be hassle-free for 3 years.

Car went in for its MOT & Service today and has failed on the nearside track rod end needing replaced. Women phoned and said I would need to pay for this part to be replaced. £74.40 to be precise.

Where do I stand?

I was either clearly missold this plan or they take me for a mug and are trying to get me to pay for something when I shouldn't be.

Can one of you help me out with this urgently?!

If it's still in the 3 years tell them you've taken out the 3 year MOT and Service plan and that covers the costs and your not going to pay them anything.

Unless in the paper work it say that you have to pay for the MOT and service and then you have to claim the money back?

I mentioned on the phone to the woman that I had this plan and she says it only covers the costs of the MOT & Service being carried out and not the parts.

This is it's 2nd year so still within the 3 years.

Colleague at my work has just been sold this plan from the same garage and was told that it would also cover parts and labour.

Confused ... :(

Does anyone know how much it would cost me to get this part that's failed elsewhere? Just incase this part has been overpriced by the garage...

Service Plan
Applies to cars (up to 6 cylinder) which are under 42 months old. Service Plan
is also available on certain cars 42 months old and older that remain under
manufacturer warranty. The Plan covers the cost of standard servicing as per the
manufacturer service schedule (excluding the replacement of timing belts and
exhaust filters). Repair work, component replacement and servicing outwith the
standard manufacturer service schedule (including optional servicing) remains the
responsibility of the owner.
Its very naughty if they are implying all parts are covered, when its just realy service parts :evil:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/track-rod-and-track-rod-end
About £20 for non genuine ones... However, its the OCAP balljoints that all us RS owners have been bitching about.

same happened to me! 1st time i took it for a MOT and it failed on NS track rod end. i sourced the part of ebay and it cost me around and £8.55 posted and was brand new. i took it to a local grarage where they fitted it and tracked it for £25!!!! i was quoted around £90 from the garage that MOT'ed it. also had to pay for a re-test but that was only another £20 so cost me all in all £50 so where the other £40 goes from the original quote i have no idea!!

Kelly_GT":1na2ucx8 said:
I mentioned on the phone to the woman that I had this plan and she says it only covers the costs of the MOT & Service being carried out and not the parts.

This is it's 2nd year so still within the 3 years.

Colleague at my work has just been sold this plan from the same garage and was told that it would also cover parts and labour.

Confused ... :(

It wasn't Evans Halshaw you got it from was it?? (Doh! I've read post properly now!) Had a similar plan with my RS225 and it only covered an MOT and a service every 12 months.

unfortunately you've been dipped by arnold, kelly. the service and mot plan only covers the cost of a service pack and your MOT tests for the three years, nothing more. it is the autocare warranty that covers mechanical and electrical, it does not cover general wear and tear and a track rod end is one of the more common things that wear over time especially with renaults

Yeah I got it from Arnold Shark, wish I had got what they told me in writing :( but I've now been told by 5 people at my work that they bought this plan recently under this assumption as well.

To make it even better... was originally quoted £74.40 for the repair on my car then my boyfriend phoned the garage in a rage and told them that we had been missold the plan, manager couldn't give a toss and said basically, tough we still have to pay and its going to cost around £100 as I need the track rod end replaced and the wheels aligned :S then to make it even better! Phoned the garage to tell them I was taking my car to another garage to get the track rod end replaced as it was considerably cheaper and the guy says 'you will need to get the car re-tested and that will cost a small fee' ... I told him to shove his re-test up his a*se! Cost just keeps going up and up everytime I speak to them!!

Now I'm going to pick up my car tonight and hand them back this courtesy car I've had all day. Possibly argue with the manager then take my car to another garage tomorrow for all this work to be done and MOT retest for the grand total of £65 - what a saving!

Really detest Arnold Shark now :evil:

Kelly everyone moans about Arnold Clark your best off cancelling it and taken it somewhere else

haha theres no fee for a re-test, your plan covers the cost of a re-test, which is always free at arnold clark! that's why i left, got sick of being made to face customers and explain this and that knowing fine well they were being duped out of their money. they can tell you that you'll get a free 133 every year if they want, but it doesn't matter because it's not binding. only whats on the paper is binding, unfortunately.

Big regret ever dealing with Arnold Clark. I got the extended service and mot. Plus the extended auto are warranty package. Service and its 1st mot came around last September and they passed it, when a private garage I took it to said it should have failed on 3 things. Items were replaced under the autocare package eventually after I kicked up a stink. Wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't be arsed changing the items and just passed it. I now take it to St Helens instead of Wigan because I refuse to deal with the two rude service department women who are up their own arses!!!!! Booked in this Thursday for a day to iron a few niggles out and st Helens, so far, couldn't do enough. They actually know how to smile!

I think you get a lot if this with the biggest chains these days. Like I said I had a similar issue with Evans Halshaw and my sister did with her Clio through our local Arnold Clark. It's a shame but these companies just seem to get so big they loose that personal touch and their reputation turns to crap!

Nick3814":3dnk9uoo said:
I think you get a lot if this with the biggest chains these days. Like I said I had a similar issue with Evans Halshaw and my sister did with her Clio through our local Arnold Clark. It's a shame but these companies just seem to get so big they loose that personal touch and their reputation turns to crap!

Whilst I totally 110% agree, the part I never understand is that an individual in a company should surely want to do their best. I know that it wouldn't matter if I worked for a big company, or a small one like I do, the service and friendly face would be the same, because that's what I want to do. The best in the situation I'm given. And I know most people are the same. It's just a shame when some people really are just jobsworths

Hope you get it sorted soon Kelly. Sorry to hear you were messed about! :(

Kelly_GT":21sdktgd said:
Now I'm going to pick up my car tonight and hand them back this courtesy car I've had all day. Possibly argue with the manager then take my car to another garage tomorrow for all this work to be done and MOT retest for the grand total of £65 - what a saving!

Really detest Arnold Shark now :evil:

Sit as close to the front door as you can, with the car in neutral, and just plant your foot on the accelerator pedal to bounce it off the limiter for a few seconds, before going in. ;)

Jusr for balance, I bought from Arnold Clark, and they were the cheapest to buy from, I didn't buy any extras, and they will never see the car again (as I live so far away), but they were fine for me. :)

My Clio's in Arnold Clark Preston (nee Co-Operative Group, nee Sunwins) tonight waiting for parts. Expecting a bank account meltdown tomorrow.

I didn't even get the benefit of them being the cheapest, I've paid way too much for a very tired car. :cry:

for my last mot, they quoted my mum as she was the one who took it in because i used to work there and left on violent terms haha. quoted her 1k for an abs ring, nsf track rod, discs, 2x wheel bearings and 1 abs sensor. the problems never exist in the first place, they won't even let you see the parts taken of your car anymore as they can now refuse viewing as they are refurb exchanges so they technically don't belong to you so they swear by anyway. stay away leave them sharks alone!