Renault Twingo Rs strange noise from gearbox in neutral

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceseeker

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm now an owner of a Renault Twingo RS facelift and I am really quite surprised from the little car to be honest but by spending some time and km with tht car I managed to find a strange noise. When the car is in neutral there's a noise - rattle coming from the gaerbox and when I put the car in gear it disappears. The car has currently 40 000 km on the clock and it was serviced only in the official dealer of Renault in Bulgaria. Do you have any idea what might be causing this sound from the gaerbox.

Thank you!

Is the sound when you're driving it and leave it in neutral when rolling? Or when the car is completely stationary? Rattling is normally a clutch issue/failing CSC bearing. Or even dual mass flywheel.

However if it's when it's moving it could be internals of gearbox or even a driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,thank you for the fast reply.

The rattling comes when the car is stationary.When moving and the car is in neutral is hard to hear exactly which sound is what because in general the car is noisy.I find it odd that a car with only 40 000 km has a problem with the clutch or the flywheel but the previous owner was a girl and it was her first car. I think it might be the bearing because the clutch isn't slipping as for the flywheel I didn't know it was a dual mass one. One thing is certain that the car needs to be checked.

I'm not 100% certain if it is a dual mass or not on these. But your problem sounds more like the bearing is on its way out. Expensive repair as the whole gearbox needs to come out!

I did a check on the car in the official Renault dealership and the mechaninc that did the inspection said that it was a normal sound nothing to worry about.They showed me a Megane RS 265 that had the exact change of sound from the gearbox when the car is in neutral. My previous car was a BMW and there the problems were different and now I'm confused to be honest not knowing much about renaults and what to do.The strange thing is that I can't find any forum threads with the same complaints.
Have you experienced the same problem with your twingos?

Thanks!

Never had this sound from mine, on 56k miles at the moment. I wouldn't say it's a normal noise that you've got but obviously I haven't heard it in person. Maybe get a second opinion

Almost sounds like your exaust is leaking slightly. Have you checked your gearbox for oil at all as when I changed mine there was only a trickle that came out. How's your engine mounts nothing catching on subframe or anywhere ?

Hi again thanks for the info from all of you!

I have an update on the case with the strange sound. Yesterday I made a visit to yet another dealership of Renault and the mechanics there made an inspeciton. Their statement is that the noise is coming from the primary shaft of the box. They advised me to change the gearbox oil and that was it. Main engineer said to me that it was a sound to be expected and nothing new from a Renault or a Dacia. He asked me what's my yearly mileage/km cover which is around 7000 miles / 12 000 km and with that rate of driving it will run for 4-5 years with no problems and this advice was based on previous experience. To me that's a timebomb waiting to explode. When I asked them what's the price of the rebuild they quoted a sum of 3000 - 4000 BGN or 1500 - 2000 EUR with a new clutch kit.
So the main quesiton for me is it worth it and when we add the potential week steering rack that is know to fail I doubt that I will keep the car for long. It's sad because in this short time I'm having tons of fun with the car - it's fast, handles pretty good and it gets good MPG everything I wanted from a daily driver but the downside is the maybe the reliability?

Again thanks for the support!

I agree, sounds like they've just given the car a date to die on basically! Surprised they didn't try to sell something to you. Depends if you've got the money to spend on the car and whether it will actually solve your problem. You could keep an eye out for a gearbox for it in the time you own it as it would be a lot cheaper probably.

Either way enjoy the car for as long as you can

Shame to hear your bad news fella, it's not all bad though I'd change the oil asap if there's any in to begin with ! Gearboxs crop up on eBay and the like more often than you might think there's actually one in there now it'll be a fraction of the cost of a rebuild from Renault. Still at least it's still drivable if that's any consolation best of luck with it bud