Ridiculous Insurance Quotes

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsmiffy

Reaction score
Just bought my Daughter a really clean 59 plate GT with 15k on the clock, checked out the insurance beforehand on the Go compare sites 6 weeks ago now gone up £800 since then, I knew it wasn't going to be cheap but £3k for insurance is extortion.

Anyone know a youngster friendly insurance company she's 18 next month, test next month & live in Barnet Herts/N London

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Tom

i live near cheshunt best bet is to wait a month until shes 18 mine was £3k when i was 17 it dropped to £1.1k when i turned 18 :)

Nope tried everything, based on zero no claims (as using on other cars) putting the car in her mums name, putting it in her own name, adding named drivers insurance cost is almost as much as the car, just need a friendly broker/underwritter

Pass plus made zero difference to my sisters first inaurance, well, the money she saved was less than what the course cost...

I think my first insurance policy was with Elephant, and they were very reasonable - though that is going back a few years. Have you tried having your daughter as owning the car & main driver, both you and her mum as named drivers. If I remember rightly, that's how mine was. They only drove the car occasionally, but it bought the insurance down a fair bit - as did notching the voluntary excess up slightly if I remember correctly.

^^^^ so long as Mum and dad don't have half a dozen points ;)

Limited mileage policy if she isnt going to be driving a lot. Not much point in paying extra for something that your not going to use

What about those little black box thingys? Aren't they meant to help reduce. Insurance if it's installed and monitors the cars activities regarding speeding etc.? Or am thinking of something else?

lgonzalez":266wmwj2 said:
What about those little black box thingys? Aren't they meant to help reduce insurance if it's installed and monitors the cars activities regarding speeding etc.? Or am thinking of something else?

There are a few of these schemes about where you pay to have a black box installed and the insurance companies use data from this to raise/lower your insurance price. I have a couple of concerns about the use of these - namely that they include information such as accelerating/decelerating quickly, and if you do so they can increase your premium. Now - with some mighty short sliproads around where I live, I'd be much happier seeing someone accelerate up to motorway speeds quickly off them than creep slowly into the 70mph traffic.

the black box schemes, Id ruin it for her first time I drove it round the block, just need to find a friendly underwriter

I had my 133 at 18. Insurance was going to be around £2,000 with one years no claims bonus. Had myself as the owner and main driver and then added both my mum and dad as named drivers. Dropped to £1,200. That was with Admiral. They also do 10 month policies if you go direct to them which helps build NCB quicker.

Forgot to say mine did have a £1,000 excess and was a 10 month policy. I thought for a 18 year old on a 133 that was pretty good.

bigsmiffy":101z9czn said:
the black box schemes, Id ruin it for her first time I drove it round the block, just need to find a friendly underwriter
True, have you tried giving greenlight a call? They are a broker, I'm insured with them and they cut my premium by near on £1000 over Admiral with all mods declared. I don't know their policy on new drivers though or if they have a lower age limit bit worth a shot.

I was 18 when I had my Clio TCE (same engine as Twingo GT) and the best quote I found was for £1,400 p.a. with Tesco, with my mum and dad both named drivers on my car. I was given a year's no claims bonus when I passed my test though so whenever I try to get a quote, the number of years NCB I have is always 1 more than the number I've had my license for and it never works lol

Thanks for your comments guys to put it perspective its around £4k to insure, I thought it would be nearer £2k its only group 5 for god sake
I've used Greenlight in the past when I had a modified Scooby I'll give them a buzz

I've found adjusting the voluntary excess can help a bit too. My quote a few years ago on the Clio had something like £500 voluntary + £250 compulsory.

As long as you don't crash, it's fine :p

Insure the car in advance, go as far forward as possible, I think its about 28 days and insure it 28 days early. I did that on my old clio this year, in my second year of driving and it took off 300 quid for me.