Rough engine below 2k rpm

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forza

Reaction score
My little bastard has got a little problem. I had a drive today, some freeway miles and it was perfectly okay. Had no problems during the way up to where I needed to be (a 25 miles drive). But when I was driving back, after I dropped of a friend and had about 4 miles to go (so properly warmed up), the engine wouldn't rev up from idle to about 2k and backfired once or twice. Above 2k there are no problems, still goes like a motherf*cker. I never had any problems when starting up from cold. Got back in it a few hours later, started just fine, no idling problem, but still doesn't want to rev.

I think it has to be something with the ignition, I got 2 spare coilpacks from the previous owner who already sealed the bolt above the engine bay. There's no warning light. Anyone got an idea?

could b dephaserish.

when was the oil last changed?

How can I check if the coils work?

Oil change, I don't really know...The previous owner (renault mechanic) gave it a full service when I got it, and I've done about 1000-1500 miles since. But I don't see why this could be an oil related problem?

I measured the resistance of the six coils I have (2 spare). They are all 1.7 ohm. Went for a drive afterwards and at first it still had the problem, but after about 1 km it was gone, did some pulls from idle revs and it pulls like it should.

What else could it be if the coils are (or at least seem to be) ok, when and if the problem returns?

I (think) I found the problem:

IMAG0475.jpg

Swapped it out for one of the new ones and it seems to run ok now, no more bogging down. I'm gonna order 2 more and replace them all I think.

I find it more amusing that the car was provided with spare coilpacks. I keep intending to buy some spare. Mine have done another 8k since June and look perfect, no leaks. But I have no faith in Renaults repair to last

Forza":234av4x6 said:
I (think) I found the problem:

IMAG0475.jpg

Swapped it out for one of the new ones and it seems to run ok now, no more bogging down. I'm gonna order 2 more and replace them all I think.
Besides the obvious crappyness of the one on the right, they look different ;)

The two coils at the drivers side (UK cars) will probably be unaffected by the water ingress, but you could pull them to check when changing the spark plugs. Change the set of spark plugs, as the one which had the pictured coil connected to it won't be doing you any favours if its been sat with moisture around it, even with a shiney new coil sat ontop

What type of coil pack do I need/can I use?

The 2 extra coil pack's I got with the car are Beru ZS 071 (0 040 100 071). I already put one in which solved my problem. But when I search for 2 new ones, to replace the all, I only find the Beru ZS 052 (0 040 100 052) for the Twingo CN0R.

I can't find any details about the coil pack's, can I use both?

hi guys i have the very same problem but i am a complete noob when it comes to engine work how do you remove these and would i also need to change spark plugs if i do change them?? also the second one in (if you go from left to right) has a mix of oil and water sitting arround it ??

Kieran k":2og97i4o said:
hi guys i have the very same problem but i am a complete noob when it comes to engine work how do you remove these and would i also need to change spark plugs if i do change them?? also the second one in (if you go from left to right) has a mix of oil and water sitting arround it ??

There's one bolt, just undo it and pry the coil out (I used a screwdriver). Haven't changed the spark plugs yet, so can't comment on that.

If someone can answer my question above, I can order some coils and plugs and make a nice slide show for you ;).