Rs doesn't feel and drive the same!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordyb

Reaction score
Hey! Over the past few months, my RS Silverstone has started to bother me!

The ride is starting to feel really harsh, more than usual!
When I unfortunately hit a small bump, the suspension seems to be noisier as well!

And even in simple cornering the car just doesn't seem to hold on the road very well!

Also when I break hard the car tends to stroll where ever it wants!

There's a lot of new squeaks and rattles appearing everywhere.

My rear passenger tyre seems to always need top ups of air, I mean daily top ups!

I also have a strange rattle from under the middle if the car when I lightly press the throttle, I assume its a heat shield??

Is there anything specific I can go to my dealer and ask them to check, instead of going in with such vague descriptions?

Part of me hopes this is all in the mind but I don't think it is!

The car has only done 8000 miles(give or take)

Thanks is advance!

Also i know its obvious but god can you feel a difference in ride quality when tyres are getting near to the limit of tread depth. Its like putting on a new set of dampers when the new tyres come!

Don't think my tyres are that bad though! Ile check when I get home! They have had 8000 light miles. Nothing crazy!

Could be the winter blues...

I have bloody hated my car during this winter, nothing has actually gone wrong, it just is a pain to drive, rattle squeaks bangs all over the place. I have just noticed it more with me being grumpy due to the weather.

weebob":3p5abfn7 said:
Could be the winter blues...

I have bloody hated my car during this winter, nothing has actually gone wrong, it just is a pain to drive, rattle squeaks bangs all over the place. I have just noticed it more with me being grumpy due to the weather.

I totally no wat u mean! But I think it's beyond that! Lol! Who knows!

Lordyb":e5heqc76 said:
Hey! Over the past few months, my RS Silverstone has started to bother me!

The ride is starting to feel really harsh, more than usual!
When I unfortunately hit a small bump, the suspension seems to be noisier as well!

And even in simple cornering the car just doesn't seem to hold on the road very well!

Also when I break hard the car tends to stroll where ever it wants!

There's a lot of new squeaks and rattles appearing everywhere.

My rear passenger tyre seems to always need top ups of air, I mean daily top ups!

I also have a strange rattle from under the middle if the car when I lightly press the throttle, I assume its a heat shield??

Is there anything specific I can go to my dealer and ask them to check, instead of going in with such vague descriptions?

Part of me hopes this is all in the mind but I don't think it is!

The car has only done 8000 miles(give or take)

Thanks is advance!

I feel the same with mine, since I got new tyres in Oct it hasn't felt the same. Since the service its been a bit better specially the breaking but its just not the same car. I'll get the tracking done and get them to check the arms and see what can be found. I also now realize how hard the ride is and it was never this rough before :(

with the cold, all the rubber and plastic bits will be a bit stiffer than durring summer.

Tyres won't give the same grip on a cold and damp surface as theres prety much no chance to get some heat into them

My cup feels great, better with age and mileage it seems.

Carries has 195s on te front and 205s on the back so might have upset the balance. Once spring arrives we can look at gettig it up in the air and having a nosey at the issues and sorting them. It doesn't feel overly stiff when I've driven it though I might add.

Im confused with tyre sizes as i thought they were all the same

Ie 14's usually are 185 15's 195 etc but didnt realise you can put a wider tyre on?

Say for example i put 205's on my 16's what am i getting extra grip? How? Because the rim is still the same width??

JoeRS133":9wxitq7l said:

Ie 14's usually are 185 15's 195 etc but didnt realise you can put a wider tyre on?

Say for example i put 205's on my 16's what am i getting extra grip? How? Because the rim is still the same width??

How does the rim decide how much grip you have?

Wider than normal tyres will give a little bit more in corners.. Thinner than normal tyres wont have as much give and could begin to slide if you go too fast

Same with depth of tyres

Am I right?

JoeRS133":3hc266rj said:

determiningtiresize.gif

The first number (ie 195/50/15) is how wide the tyre is. Different alloys are different widths with different offsets which allow for wider tyres. The 133 has slightly stretched tyres so it's possible to use a wider tyre and have a straight sidewall. Not sure about non-133's...

195 = width of tyre (measured in mm)
50 = profile of tyre (height/width)
15 = size of wheel (measured in inches)

Basically the cups tyres are stretched might explain why mine feel a bit wobbly on track...

the two big reasons for going wider on the cupped 133 with 17's is better rim protection and a larger/maybe cheaper range of tyres avaliable. Idealy, you would ballance the increase in width with a reduction in profile to keep the same rolling diameter and ride height... However, going up to 205/40 is only a 4mm increase znd a reasonable compromise.

The 195 width is wide enough to provide plenty of dry grip for most , without becoming too much of a handfull in the wet or snow. To a point, going wider can increase dry grip if the tyre gets enough heat in it to get to a working temp. Theres probably a usable wider alternative for the non cup wheels as they are also 7" wide and hence your 195/45/16 is also stretched a bit, but with a taller wall its not as obvious (maybe 205/40/16 i'll look into it later)

Absolutely.

I changed mine to 205s all around. With carries they're currently not matching as the rear continentals didn't need changing so were rotated. I will say hers didn't feel eager to rev when I last took it for a spin but it has had a change of oils, filters and plugs since, so I will have a play this weekend and see what she means.

The lower arms do not need replacing I know that. They're still original as well.

I wonder when poly bushes might be available as a more long term replacement for the rubber items? Would these help reduce 'seasonal variances' in feel? Or are they as likely to feel different according to climate changes?

maggi112":2fecaaup said:
I wonder when poly bushes might be available as a more long term replacement for the rubber items? Would these help reduce 'seasonal variances' in feel? Or are they as likely to feel different according to climate changes?
Yeah, it'll be harsh all year round instead of just during the winter. :lol:

its the greazy roads, i used to hate my mk2 clio RS's this time of year they get very unsettled, thats just what stiff suspension cars are like in the wet/slippy months.

loosing air sounds like you have possibly skelped a pot hole and bent your rim on the inner edge and its not sealing, just had to batter the shit out one of my GT wheels for the same problem.

My car is feeling odd too, mainly in the handling and ride quality.
Feels very harsh and I almost lost at low speed on a corner. Back end seemed to skip out, really caught me off guard!
I have only 6000 miles on the clock, two of the tyres and basically brand new. (hope that isn't the issue - mixing new tyres with 6000 miles tyres)

In terms of stability you've had it for 8k an getting used to pressing it harder.
I know mine doesn't brake as well as it used to. But then again I'm heading into corners quicker.

It rattles like mad in the winter and creaks and groans but then again so dot bones. So it's only right the car should to. It will get better when it gets warmer

An mine too has a rattle somewhere underneath which only occurs between 4.5k and 5k on the revs. So bound to be the heat shield. Annoying but liveable