RS Gearbox CRUNCH!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AS_BO

Reaction score
So I was having a bit frisk tonight hustling the car down some back roads. I pulled out of a junction with a clear road flat in 1st. I changed to 2nd and got a crunch. Is it well known for this to happen changing gear quickly? No problems with the box to report and this is the first time it's happened. Car had a clutch 4000 miles ago and is on at 8400 currently. I would normally put it down to oil but obviously it will of had fresh oil when the clutch was done in December.

Any thoughts appreciated chaps.

1 > 2 synchromesh being engaged prematurely by the selector fork. what will have happened is that in your snappy haste, you didn't give enough clutch whilst you were shifting and you've tried to engage second .. nothing to worry about, that sort of thing happens. no damage is done

oscar":4sc4ydl4 said:
1 > 2 synchromesh being engaged prematurely by the selector fork. what will have happened is that in your snappy haste, you didn't give enough clutch whilst you were shifting and you've tried to engage second .. nothing to worry about, that sort of thing happens. no damage is done

Cheers Dave, it was a rather brisk change like so it's probable that'll be it! A fountain of knowledge as always chap.

i do it every morning coming out of my driveway in reverse trying to engage first from reverse on a cold morning. it's just horrible isn't it? the vibration up your arm through the gearstick just makes you cringe :(

I Normally get it the first change from 1st - 2nd if kicking it when warm (obviously)

Think this is my biggest grief with the RS, often happens to me - hardly ever seem to remember to give it time on the 1-2 change when pushing it :(

well dibs here sadly >_> , i find that the pedal travel of the Twingo is huge compared to the Clio RS T_T i drove a 172 a while ago and god i love that clutch its like 1/3 you have to press down to dis/engage ....

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue however it's when I go from 4th to 5th it sounds awful! Has only just started happening the last day of two, not sure what it could be?
It sounds like you have gone from reverse to first too quickly for the engine! But worried as it's very hard to put it into 5th sometimes and I have been testing it, my foots on the clutch fully.

Any ideas?

Try changing the gearbox oil. That definitely helped mine which was difficult with some changes.

Dont persist in forcing it into gears as something expensive will end up bending

We used to have a similar fault with the Clio and 19 16V... the way we fixed them was to remove the fully synthetic oil and replace it with a good mineral based alternative, 75/80 weight.....
We also used to recommend to customers a more regular change than the 72,000 miles recommended and advise 36,000 was a better option for road cars...