RS or Abarth

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS133ETO

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who has had an RS AND an Abarth?

I've only had my car for about 9 months, but I've fallen in love with the Abarth. You can't help what you love right?!? My fiance has just ordered herself a new car, and now I just want one too!

Anyway, Fiat offered £5,750 for my car which also consists a small contribution. Then, I asked what would they do if I was to sell it privately.. They'd contribute £1,500 believe it or not. So say I was to sell mine for £6,000 privately, I'd get £1,500 off Fiat, so that's already £7,500 off a £14,500 car.

Is it really worth the hassle of selling the car?

Dilemma.

They are barely faster and expensive to service as there's only a few confirmed servicers, parts would be expensive too I imagine but it's still a nice car not sure if it's worth 14,000£ tho

LC":1vm7cfvv said:
They are barely faster and expensive to service as there's only a few confirmed servicers, parts would be expensive too I imagine but it's still a nice car not sure if it's worth 14,000£ tho

180bhp on a remap and about 250 Nm or torque. that'll be impregnating clio sports mate! it's just a shame it's a fiat, and it will fall apart tomorrow. great engine however

the question is why do you want the abarth looks , tuning potential , power , handling , etc....

Thing is i drove an abarth once... the abarth is fast in the straight line cause of its turbo engine and also easy tuning potential and interior is more fancy

but the downside (for me ) it has a crappy auto gearbox (so get manual) and im not a fan of the power assisted steering either you dont feel whats happening on the road compared to a 133

now this is just my opinion , first i wanted an Abarth when they where first made but they told me i had to wait 1 year to get one and i was like hell no >_>

so it's your choice best thing what you can do is test drive it and then drive you car directly after it and take the same road you tested the abarth on and then you will notice what you want or what your missing

oscar":37v8zond said:
LC":37v8zond said:

180bhp on a remap and about 250 Nm or torque. that'll be impregnating clio sports mate! it's just a shame it's a fiat, and it will fall apart tomorrow. great engine however

Clio sports are about 7k aren't they? Lol

I'm just weighing up all the options with getting a brand new car...

- 3 Year Warranty
- No MOT for 3 years
- First Year Taxed
- Customised to how I want it

With it being a turbo, it has so much more potential than a N/A RS. Being a Fiat is a worry, but a 3 year warranty is a safe bet that issues will get resolved. I'm finding the RS a little too harsh to ride, and I just need a slightly more comforting car. On the books, the Abarth is under 8 sec 0-60 comparing to the 8.7s on the RS. Insurance is surprisingly cheaper too, which I don't understand.

Being an abarth they are in high demand too , so you probably won't lose a ton I'm sure the first models are selling at 8/9 to start, £5000 loss over 3 years isn't bad though if you come to sell considering leasing a higher end cars about £6000 over 2 years usually

The Clio 200T may be an option too

LC":2sqvyb0q said:
Being an abarth they are in high demand too , so you probably won't lose a ton I'm sure the first models are selling at 8/9 to start, £5000 loss over 3 years isn't bad though if you come to sell considering leasing a higher end cars about £6000 over 2 years usually

The Clio 200T may be an option too

Fiesta ST180 if you want a manual, probably cheaper than a abarth with the toys you want and noticeably quicker

For that money you can get yourself a slow but proper daily and also buy an old 106 S16 (0-60 in ~8s out of the box) to tune the hell out of. :D
And you have two 'new' cars! ;)

On topic:.
The new ST looks damn fine and is probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to hot hatches right now.
But if I'd go for a 500, I'd go for the G-Tech Sportster GT-R. ;)

Whilst I agree with all the points re: getting a brand new car I don't think it's worth the hassle of selling yours for the extra 2bhp the 500 has. They're nice cars but I don't see them as much of an upgrade to the 133, unless it's the Essesse version with the 160bhp.

Reliability seems to be a common issue with them too, know more than enough people with 500s who've had nothing but trouble.

Took an Abarth 595 out (Basically an Abarth with Essesse Kit so 160bhp ) when about to change my Twingo; thought I better try one! Was given it for a day with full fuel tank!

Anyway the Competizione 595 model with the Monza exhaust sounds spectacular with its pops and crackles and is soooo quick in a straight line, dumps on the Twingo. Sabelt leather seats are rather nice too.

HOWEVER round corners the 595 just doesn't do it, its good, but not even close to the cup chassis and you are looking at 22k to spec one proper. After the day testing the 595 I got back in my Twingo RS and it is a far more fun car by a country mile...I realised just how good the cup chassis is - and how I'd taken it for granted.

Took a Fiesta ST out (180bhp), wow quick, and a big bang for your buck, good car, great into corners but a bit boring to look at I thought as its little to differentiate from the standard Fiesta. Peugeot 207GTI was ok to drive, nice seats and 'red bits', but it was just ok. (The old 106 Gti was more fun!)

Less said about the new RS Clio the better. So disappointed.

Anyway after a week of test driving.....drum roll.....went and bought a new facelift RS-Twingo (Liquid Yellow and Cup chassis-rude not too).