Silencer / muffler removal

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
So I went to a local garage to check out how much they would charge for the 2 silencers to be replaced with straight pipe and was quoted next to nothing as long as I supply the pipe.
I was also given a bit of advice; only remove one of the silencers because the one after the downpipe is so close to a bend that if I ever decided to replace it, could be problematic. Has anybody removed just one of the silencers and if so, how much does it effect the noise?
Maybe replacing the back box with a straight pipe could be an option, possibly with one of the middle silencers removed too?
I'm only looking for a little louder exhaust note as it's oddly quiet compared to the engine.

I have the backbox removed, I like the sound. Really do keep meaning to video it and put it on here, maybe a project for tomorrow night. Others have removed the centre silencer and some have done middle and backbox I believe.

Can the backbox be replaced with straight pipe or does it need an angled piece?

Needs to be angled it can't be straight, if I remember I'll take a pic tomorrow in the light for you.

I removed my centre box and have a powerflow back box sounds nice, not really a massive volume change. :)

I have both silencers removed so its a straight pipe to the back box, can't comment on how it was before because I thought I bought a RS with nothing done to it..... Until James and chicken pointed it out.

I like the sound of it but you can't really hear what it properly sounds like unless you're outside the car which is the bigger difference, just wish renault put a twin tip on it as standard as the rectangle one looks shite.

waitey":2vgd3m4x said:
maggi112":2vgd3m4x said:
Chris why don't you just get a plain and simple tip welded on?

Thinking of it, there a place near me that do custom exhausts and I doubt it costs much
Let me know how that goes please as I've struggled to find a twin tip that fits.

Here's a pic of the backbox delete
y8yjesa4.jpg

The section that's nearest is a slight downward angle to the exhaust tip

Backbox delete will give you the most but won't be as cheap.

I had both middle boxes removed which didn't really make much of a difference in my opinion... much more noise from up front with an induction kit. I had to replace the downpipe in the end because I had all sorts of problems with the exhaust blowing around the bend.