Sitting position and Recaro seats!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthias

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :cool:

This is my very first post here, even though I've been following this forum for quite some time now. Keep up the good work! The reason why I decided to open this topic is becuse ever since I bought my twingo I've been having problems with the way I sit. I absolutely love the twingo, but the sitting position is driving me nuts (I'm about 5'10" and I want to have my chin leveled with the top of the steering wheel as I drove my kart that way and can't drive the car any other way, but enough bout that, I can't sit properly and that's it - hope you get the picture). I talked to some of the Renault dealers here in Slovenia and they said they could change my seats with the Clio/Megane RS Recaro Sportster CS ones for about 800€ (+200€ for the work), which is the price that you need to pay in order to get those seats with your Clio/Megane Cup pack. I think those seats look great and would give me the option to sit a bit lower. Now, before I spend that much money on something that will perhaps make my car look a bit better and nothing else, I would like to ask a couple of questions:

1. Can you buy any lower mounts for the current seats? Is there any way at all to safely lower the current seats for at least 2" or so?
2. Has anyone here already tried to get those Sportsters in his Twingo and is it even possible?
3. Any other ideas?

Much appreciated!

P.S. I wanted to stick this under the Cobra seats discussion as it encouraged me to even write this down, but I figured it's better not to mess with that discussion and open a new topic.

P.S.S. Hi to everyone on the forum! I love to read your posts and to see what you've done to your cars so far!!!!!

Hello and welcome mate!

In order of your questions:

1) No, there are no subframes to lower the standard RS seats
2) No one has tried putting CS's in but a few of us have put a variety of bucket seats in; Recaro Pole Positions, Recaro from other cars and I believe Matt has just fitted some OMPs...
3) Without a doubt you can get the seat lower - I have put PP's in mine and it's about 3/4 inches lower that standard - but it requires a bit of work.

If the dealers near you have quoted 1000€ (I presume that is Euros?) I would bite their arm off. In the UK it'd be way more than that just to buy them! I think as an option new they are £800 (the RS 'site is currently broken so I can't check) when fitted to a Clio, to buy them separately is more like £1600!!

Hi, first off, thanks for the answers. Since I'm not familiar with all the terms, Al, could you please explain what is or are the PP's and how can I do it.

Well, I'm pretty amazed how well the workshops and dealers cooperate with some of you guys, I live basically 1 hour away from where Twingos are made and trust me, the dealers probably know less about the parts & stuff than you can possibly imagine, it's awful. However, one dealer seems to know more about the Twingos than the others, since two of their mechanic's own the Twingo RS. I asked them about putting in those Recaros and they said it shouldn't be a problem at all since they already fitted one with them and it worked really well for him. They gave me an offer to get those seats (2 of them) for 800€ (roughly 690£) as this is how much it costs to get them with the Clio/Megane (along with the Cup package) in Slovenia and they could sort it out at the service as if someone ordered a spare pair of those to re-fit his car. Now that you put it that way, it seems it is a pretty good deal indeed.

However, Al, I would kindly ask you about the PP's and try out that first to see how well it works for me.

Cheers!

For that price I'd drive over to you and get it done. It'd still be cheaper.

And PP's = Pole Positions (I think)

i would also go for recaros, for that price its a win :twisted:

and i dont mean to be picky, but height of the sitting in a car has its purpose (i hate sitting too high as well), at least while you have OEM steering wheel with airbag. It wouldnt do any good to be sitting too low and go against the airbag from the wrong (or very low) positioned seat. Of course, if you have non-airbag steering and 6 points seat belts, it is not the deal anymore...

Welcome to the club!

I would most definitely be considering those recaros at that price!!

Ive fitted OMP seats with the OMP subframes, sliders and side mounts and it doesn't feel any lower than standard. Obviously this would drop almost an inch when the sliders are removed (which they will be) so hopefully that makes all the difference. I would also much rather be lower.

As said above PP are Recaro Pole Positions. There's a few photos in my progress thread if you'd like to take a look.

It was a lot of work though and I did it 2 years ago when off the self parts weren't available so its made up of Clio 182 subframes that I modified and a custom rail/slider arrangement.

If anyone wants to link some photos to this thread, feel free as I'm out all day and can't do it on the Blackberry.

DSC03087.jpg

Welcome!

I'd get them fitted at the dealer for that price! I paid £800 to have them in my 200!

Yeah, they said they could link those Recaro airbags to the system without a problem, so I think it's the best deal overal. Twingogeekeo and Al, thanks for the explanation of PP's, hihi. I think I'll just go for the Recaros in a few months then. I'll make sure to post some pictures here once I have them in. I think that making my own subframes wouldn't make me feel too good to sit in the car anymore, but that's just me ;)

Few more whilst I was looking through PB.

Get some photos up once you've go the dealer to fit them; as you say fitting the CS's has the advantage of side airbags and is an easy swap with the standard side air bag RS seats.

DSC03048.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

Tnx for the pics! It goes without saying that those PP's are looking awesome. I will change my seats with those Recaros as soon as I get enough money, which should be in a couple of months ;)

They are pretty cool, although probably not recommended as daily long journey seats, nor for someone with an ample frame. Plus they are only useful with no rear seats ;)

Al":15mwjqen said:

Al. what have you secured the shoulder belts to... Is this a bar bolted into where the rear seats used to be mounted, or latched into the u-bracket (that hides under the small removable cover panels) ?