Snow handling

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
It's snowing here today and the road has about 3-5cm of snow covering it and I need to go somewhere. I'm wondering how easy the Twingo is to drive in the snow?
I don't want to find out it's hard by plowing into a kerb.

I found it quite easy, just drive to the conditions, dont brake hard, use the gears to slow you down etc...

I've found it's fairly good if I'm being careful, I'm yet to have any problems with it but I know at least one of the lads did have problem with it understeering into stuff :(

Never took her out on the standard contis but the maz1s have coped magnificently but they are directional and the groves will help to churn the snow back out the other way. And to be fair I waited until yesterday to drive other than Friday in the blizzard that hit

Another thing, i've done around 300 miles since friday with a lot of snow in places and the only time i've had a little bit of a worry was going down a steep hill near mine, a lot better to drive in this weather than my old Corsa B and Mk3 Golf!

Fricking awesome In the snow! Plows through, just drive to conditions, no heavy braking , no hard acceleration, high gear low revs, use the low down torque to pull u rather than power and spinning your wheels

I haven't had any deep snow (touch wood), maybe just a few cm in shop car parks etc. I'd have thought a RS would be decent too, with the heavy engine+light car combo

Mine was completely rubbish on Thursday morning. First time without winter tyres and needing to keep the revs up, so not a good combination.

Last year on the snow tyres was fine, but nowhere near as good as the Audi was which was much heavier and could be used as a snow plough to clear the lane.

Well I braved it and it all went fine, it handled pretty well.

Twingos are pretty good in snow from what I have heard. :)

clio wasn't as good as wanted him to be :(

my gt is very good in the snow as long as you dont accelerate on the corners or brake sharp you will be fine :)

I managed to slide 10-15 feet on Monday with the ABS going berserk, while going slow enough for the speedo to read 0 - with only what looked like a bit of slush on the surface. Was seriously worried about going up the back of the car in front and then the camber changed and it veered towards the kerb. There must've been ice underneath but I'm generally disappointed with the Twingo's wet/ice/snow performance; it's not really done any better than my M3 did! I'll be putting different tyres on come the time, whether I change the wheels or not.

Luckily I was a couple of hundred feet from home so underwear wasn't a problem.

why you island folks generally ignore the existence of winter tyres is beyond me... :) I went out one day with the contis after some snowfall surprised me in october two years ago and it was horrific. besides, it's a perfect excuse to take off the nice shiny wheels and protect them from all that grime... just fetch some nice second hand alloys off ebay (like I did with those 16" renault modus ones for 40€), invest in a good set of tyres (pirelli, nokian,...) and have so much more fun in winter

CIMG1154.JPG

Agree ^

had a steal with my 15" winter tyres + rim.

150€ for everything because the guy was so desperate to sell them. Came of his Golf 2 I think.

This allows me to drive 90 km/h on the 3rd lane that was still covered in snow. Winter tyres doesn't give you miracles but alot more grip and fun on snowy parking lots :p

I think the key benefit is that even though you still lack grip (obviously) everything is much more controllable...

Those modus wheels looks pretty good for winter wheels frediii. At first glance I thought they were the 16" Emotion alloys Renault offer as standard on the 133/wind

frediiii":2d5ajvi8 said:
why you island folks generally ignore the existence of winter tyres is beyond me... :)[/img]

Because British people always think they are being scammed. lol

I have a set of BF Goodrich GForce winters on my Clio dci. Fantastic tyres.

Ollie133cup":3dm6jl3i said:
frediiii":3dm6jl3i said:
why you island folks generally ignore the existence of winter tyres is beyond me... :)[/img]

Because British people always think they are being scammed. lol

I have a set of BF Goodrich GForce winters on my Clio dci. Fantastic tyres.
The BFG winters are what I had on the Dini last year and they are now on Karens Twingo for this winter. The difference between my car with the all season GForce profiler and hers on the same style winters is like night and day in the wet or snow ;)