so who has had their steering rack replaced? FIXED

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
Had the lower universal joint (column behind pedals) replaced a few months ago to try and cure a knock. Did not make a difference. I showed a technician at the dealers yesterday and he had a quick look and said it is looking like the steering rack. Going in on Monday for a few days but I expect it will be longer if they have to order the part. Basically there is a knock when rocking the wheel left to right, doesn't even have to be much movement. There's a knock when going down off speedbumps/driveways etc as well.

At first I thought some of the knocks could be the lower balljoints again but they look fine

I had this on my old car which I traded in for the twingo rough roads and big potholes seemed to cause it thing my twingos going the same way though hopefully it's just a joint

I had my steering column replaced. It started knocking then just pretty much stopped working. I had about 30% of the normal steering when it went

do you notice the car's harder to keep straight, constantly having to make small adjustments as it sways slightly from side to side? unfortunately it could be quite a few things from the inner drum forks on the steering rack all the way up to the bearings in your strut mounts!

oscar":1szf1kvj said:
do you notice the car's harder to keep straight, constantly having to make small adjustments as it sways slightly from side to side? unfortunately it could be quite a few things from the inner drum forks on the steering rack all the way up to the bearings in your strut mounts!

My car has very very light steering and it takes a considerable amount of turning to get it turned

oscar":ke1loywj said:

Yes, the steering is so twitchy, constantly making adjustments! It pulls slightly to the left but that's due to the tracking needing doing. There's knocks over bumps which you can feel through the steering wheel.

New strut mounts are sat here in a box waiting to be fitted along with lowering springs. The knock/clunk is definitely not shock/spring/top mount related, the noise is too central not side to side

sounds like all the suspicions of the inner track rod end ball joint or drum stick as some call it, those parts are replaceable but i'm not familiar with particular costs of the parts right now. if under warranty still, you will find that the dealership or garage will replace the entire steering rack. sometimes the inner ball joints are forgotten about. if it was the toothed gear on the pinion you'd hear a grating noise, a metallic one and you'd feel the grinding when turning with a reduction in response. are you thinking about going for a honda then?

I really don't mind the civics, the GT model, not too fussed by the type r. Literally on the same industrial estate as my work there is a Renault, Honda, Vauxhall and Toyota dealership so I'm always having a quick look.

There's no grinding noise. I'm thinking steering rack and track rods. I do think it is more than one part

I've got exactly the same problem, I've just been putting off getting any parts because I can't afford the £400 or so

Just phoned the dealers and as suspected it needs a new steering rack. So the lower universal joint did not need replacing a few months ago, however I'm guessing they had to try that first before going with the rack.

They are just waiting for confirmation from the warranty company and then they will be ordering the rack.

Only problem is it is on back order from renault :cry:

Edit:

Steering rack has been authorised to be replaced so going down now to collect it now. Hopefully the back order isn't too long

Does it NEED a new rack, or just tie rods replaced???

The tie rods have a ball and socket type joint on the inner end, which screws into the end of the steering rack and is then covered by a rubber gator to keep the muck out and any grease in. Screwed onto the outer end of the Tie rod, theres another balljoint, Track Rod End which connects onto the hub assembly.

I know a few Clio drivers have fitted/tried the RS133 rack to their 1*2 cars and the clio, to get a stronger rack with EPAS insteasd of PAS. The Clio Tie rods fit onto the Twingo rack, with the Trophy having the longer ones, compared to the 172... With the RS133 sharing the same suspension geometry as the Trophy, the Tie rods may be the same length as required on the Twingo :?

Well I assumed it could be the track rods as the symptoms sound similar when reading through various forums. On cliosport the symptoms always seem to be the track rods, and on clio200.net it seems to always be the steering rack (dealers replacing the parts then eventually the rack). It has been in the garage all day today and they've come back saying a new steering rack replacement has been authorised.

If it was outside of warranty I would have changed the track rods first with them being the cheaper option. I'm guessing a new steering rack from renault including fitting (4 maybe 5 hours?) must be knocking onto £1000

The problem being, it doesn't look like theres any replacement Tie rods listed for the RS133. Which is probably why the complete rack is getting done as its the next larger assembly

Cross referencing the part numbers on Eurocarparts for the Track rod ends for my car and a 2003 2.0 Clio, the numbers are the same. So, the threads on the outer end (M14x1.5) would be the same and I've read the clio Tie rods screw onto the rack (M12x1.0). So, its just a question of the lengths being compatible or checking other options

My steering column got replaced on warranty a few months back after a horrible grinding noise coming from the steering. They said the part alone outside of warranty is £1000

New steering rack has been fitted today and the car handles perfect again!

No wondering over the road every time I go over any bumps or potholes. No fighting with the steering wheel constantly, and no knocking!

Chop it in for a Honda before anything else goes wrong. I did.

I got told my Gordini needed a new aux belt on a Thursday, they ordered the part for me and booked me in for the following week, and I went to Honda on the Saturday and part exd it. Phoned up Renault and cancelled the warranty job on the aux belt.

Thing is, I've got a Clio 182 here thats 9 years old and used as a daily driver and its the absolute dogs b0llocks.

Build quality on the Honda (3rd Honda I've owned) is top notch.
A far cry from the Twingo. Its a massive upgrade, totally different cars I know, and you get what you pay for.

Clio had a knock over bumps and when pulling off the drive etc at the start of the year.
While it was in for its service, Mick @ Diamond Motors checked the suspension and his first course of action was to replace the strut top bearing/mounts.
Spot on, did the job straight away. No more knocks.