Spare wheel, got a flat

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamstuart

Reaction score
Very annoyed, went to get petrol tonight and ended up with the biggest metal bolt ive ever seen through the middle of my tyre, so am now running on the spare wheel.

What's the deal with driving on the spare, as its only a 15 and the rest of the wheels are 17, am I limited to 50mph or something?

I would normally but unfortunately I cant even afford the cheapest budget tyre at the moment, been reading about driving on the space-saver spare and everywhere says not to, only to a garage, so it might come down to a hard decision of whether I have to sell the car, as I cant afford to run/maintain it anymore :cry:

mine isnt a space saver? mines a proper steelie, 70mph maximum speed? the only thing is, its bright red

The huge tyre they put on them makes up for the 2". Mine's a standard steelie too which doesn't have the limits like the space savers as it is a proper wheel.

Mines bright red, looks like a normal steel wheel, but its only 15", maybe its not a space saver, don't know enough about wheels to tell but its definitely 2" smaller than the others so surely it cant be good to use it for a prolonged period?

Basically I need to do 12miles a day 4 days a week for work and that's all, is it safe?

Matt":3rjb0zud said:
The huge tyre they put on them makes up for the 2". Mine's a standard steelie too which doesn't have the limits like the space savers as it is a proper wheel.

I did notice the chunky tyre compared to the standard, so do you think it will be OK to use it for the coming weeks? until I can hopefully sort out my work situation and afford to replace the damaged tyre?

The rolling radius will be near enough the same, but if you look it's a continental standard tyre not a similar compound to the sportcontact, so whatever you do, take it easy :)

iamstuart":1vr3smcu said:
I did notice the chunky tyre compared to the standard, so do you think it will be OK to use it for the coming weeks? until I can hopefully sort out my work situation and afford to replace the damaged tyre?

Should be OK if you take it steady (but don't sue me if it isn't...).

You didn't say whether your flat was front or rear - if it's front, I'd swap the steelie from front to back so you've got a matching pair on the steered wheels :idea:

Here a pic of the offending object in my tyre :evil:
photo-2.jpg

Have taken it to a garage down the road to see if they can repair the tyre and they said its a bit from a clio thats in it, they are a bit busy at the min though so they are going to take the tyre off and see if they can fix it soon, so fingers crossed when I go back down in a few hours they managed to do it!

Wow someone's car is going to fall apart lol.

Looks pretty nasty, fingers crossed they can plug it though it does look quite large.

gavin-h":3ofv8n2g said:
And is the repair fully speed-rated for the tyre? Good job if so and a great saving over a new tyre :cool:

I don't know, I didnt know there was differnt typres of repair :p I guess I just trusted the garage to repair it correctly, or maybe I shouldent have :?

As it is im only using my car to work and back for the forseeable future and I dont get over 40 on that route, so I guess either way im safe for now?

P.S as you will have guessed im crap when it comes to anything technical on cars :lol: