steering column extension

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbird

Reaction score
So this week I've revisited my local Renault garage as there is till clicking in my steering when I turn, They tightened my chassis bolts, my steering column bolts and it still clicks when I turn either way and they are now telling me that I need to replace my steering column extension at a cost of £400 inc labour. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I have to pay for this as it doesnt seem like a problem that should ever happen?

Thanks!

Where abouts is the clicking coming from? Mine was from inside the steering wheel itself and a new rotary switch solved that

I'm not too sure but I can feel it in the steering wheel when I turn even the slightest amount stationary, and when im driving when I go around roundabouts

How loud is it for you dbird? This was what mine was like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6M2ve-gxZE Renault told me I need a new steering column part and it was going to be paid for under warranty. It seems to be a problem plaguing a lot of them, I have heard stories about RUK giving people half towards repairs when it's out of warranty for stuff that shouldn't really break so you could try giving them a call.

wow that sounds horrible! haha, mine is far more of a clicking noise every time i turn my wheel right or left. okay perfect 200 is slightly more bareable for me! I'll give them a call, it makes sense because for a part that shouldn't break, why should I pay if its obviously a fault?

I had my whole column replaced under warranty. Mine got to the point where it wasn't turning properly and there was a loud grinding sound.

Mine had a horrible clicking noise and turned out to be a lose bit of plastic catching everytime I turned the wheel simple fix by the garage second noise came more recently after a meeting with a pot hole but not related I dont think as it was a rubbery noise again when u turned the wheel they couldnt see any damage but greased up all the rubbers and has never done it agaim

Got my Twingo back from Renault yesterday and turns out it was the power steering column that needed replaced, the part alone costing over 1000 pound. Thank god it broke under warranty. Did you ever figure out what was causing your problem dbird?

Mine has just started with this problem! It is on the odd occasion usually turning right I can hear it grinding only done 12000 miles and it has not long gone out of warranty. Spoke to Renault today and they are taking it in tomorrow to look at it they said they would look into the problem and if they deem it there fault they would contribute to the fixing cost. Which is all well and good but should it really be doing this at 12000 miles??

Mine does the exact same noise as in Biscoo' video and when I took it to be checked I was told that it is a normal noise from the power steering column :s

I've still not taken it to a garage to have a proper look at it as I'm scared but in another post oscar semi confirmed that it's the extension that needs replacing and I could probably do it myself