Steering wheel replaced under warranty

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamstuart

Reaction score
The car went in the garage yesterday as the steering wheel has started to melt! its only just over 1 year old and done 10k. Seems to be where the sun hits the steering wheel through the drivers side window. Have added some pictures below.

Took it into Evans Halshaw Renault where I bought the car and they were spot on, they did a free health check which found no problems and after one look at the steering wheel agreed that it should not happen in 10 years never mind one.

They ordered me in a new steering wheel yesterday, got a phone call from them this morning to say its in now and they can fit it tomorrow, so spot on service cannot fault them at all :D

dbe71b98.jpg

e8bd357c.jpg

It would have to get insanely hot though I wouldn't have thought here we would really get the weather for it to happen.

It happened all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago, the car was parked for the weekend in my usual spot where the sun shines in the drivers window all day, got in the car Monday and it was like you see in the pictures.

Renault steering wheels are crap for this! Looks almost as bad as the tacky steering wheels ford fit with the blue inserts that rub off rather quickly!

It's started in dawns 255 which is 5 and a bit years old and 21,000 miles.

Mine did it and y local dealer tried to say it was damage. I spoke to RUK about it and they got it sorted for me. Makes me feel better I'm not a lone and it is a fault. Least you got it sorted straight away

Would have though they would have this sorted by now with so many models being affected.

Worst offender is the PH1 172 steering wheels. It's that bad, you'd be lucky to find one now that has an original (good condition) steering wheel.

Hah, and they told me at the dealership that it's made out of premium cow leather ;) Exact words!

Quick update on this, took the car in today and when they opened the box they found the wrong steering wheel inside :roll:
So they are ordering another one and promised to open it and check before they get me to come in this time :lol:

iamstuart":3m4ubqaw said:
Quick update on this, took the car in today and when they opened the box they found the wrong steering wheel inside :roll:
So they are ordering another one and promised to open it and check before they get me to come in this time :lol:

Oh dear! Bit of a nightmare then!

Leanne":2y2k05ro said:
I would never have thought the sun could do that to the steering wheel!! :shock:

You should check out some of the Ford steering wheel's in the last ten years.

Most Zetec-S Fiesta's have steering wheels that look like they've been melted, as is the steering wheel in my mum's SportKa. Her's hasn't even done 30k so it's not like it's been worn out that way!!

Glad it's done under warranty. Ford have never aknowledged it as a problem on their vehicles.

I actually bought one of these each to put in the windscreen of our Twingos to minimise sun damage on hot days.

41drJWhBxUL._SS500_.jpg

These things are great ideas for some reason always remind me of old people though dunno why :?