Steering wheel stalk adaptor

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkc89

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently installed the steering wheel stalk adaptor kit along with the patch lead, which allowed me to have the almighty controls back in action. I've not used the stereo for a week but this morning when I started up the car and turned the radio on the controls have gone dead. The stereo powers up like it always does but I'm getting no response from the controls. Has anybody experienced this before and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Josh

Yes - I have had exactly that problem with an adaptor I bought off amazon. I have a sony head unit and the patch lead going from the adaptor to the head unit (3.5mm jack on mine) was faulty - they supply it with a very bad quality patch lead that had come a bit loose.

I solved the problem by buying a good quality patch lead from halfords and locating the cables carefully behind the stereo. sort of like this bit (not for an alpine but you get what i mean) https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230531_langId_-1_categoryId_237503 - mine was about 5 quid.

Hope that helped - if not, you might need to return the adaptor and get a replacement.

tommy89":3cfh0h7i said:
Yes - I have had exactly that problem with an adaptor I bought off amazon. I have a sony head unit and the patch lead going from the adaptor to the head unit (3.5mm jack on mine) was faulty - they supply it with a very bad quality patch lead that had come a bit loose.

I solved the problem by buying a good quality patch lead from halfords and locating the cables carefully behind the stereo. sort of like this bit (not for an alpine but you get what i mean) https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230531_langId_-1_categoryId_237503 - mine was about 5 quid.

Hope that helped - if not, you might need to return the adaptor and get a replacement.

aaah no, the fault rates on components these days is shocking! I bought the patch lead from halfords so I'll have another wiggle around and if that fails get a replacement; I'm sure I've binned the box and receipt tho LOL

If its safe to do so (not sure if it is, but i did it..) take the stereo out of the recess, but keep it wired up... turn it on and give the cables that go into the patch lead a wiggle - i found that wiggling the watch lead about operated the functions randomly - which indicated a faulty patch.

if that doesn't work... take it all apart, and reassemble - it may be that a plug somewhere has worked a bit loose/ oxidised or something... my methods for fixing things are very much "wiggle, poke.... electric shock" :)

tommy89":sfdr3fuz said:
If its safe to do so (not sure if it is, but i did it..) take the stereo out of the recess, but keep it wired up... turn it on and give the cables that go into the patch lead a wiggle - i found that wiggling the watch lead about operated the functions randomly - which indicated a faulty patch.

if that doesn't work... take it all apart, and reassemble - it may be that a plug somewhere has worked a bit loose/ oxidised or something... my methods for fixing things are very much "wiggle, poke.... electric shock" :)

Just come back from the car and saw your reply and that's pretty much what I did. Took it out of the housing and the wheel controls were working OK. Gave it a bit of jiggery pokery and there was a pin connector that needed to be pushed in a little bit, so pushed the headunit back into the dash (which took alot of coaxing) and now it's back working.

Will just have to keep an eye on it, stupid components! Thanks for your advice!

[/quote]

Just come back from the car and saw your reply and that's pretty much what I did. Took it out of the housing and the wheel controls were working OK. Gave it a bit of jiggery pokery and there was a pin connector that needed to be pushed in a little bit, so pushed the headunit back into the dash (which took alot of coaxing) and now it's back working.

Will just have to keep an eye on it, stupid components! Thanks for your advice![/quote]

no worries - it was an issue with mine that i lived with for ages, got very annoying watching my brother use his stereo controls in his manky old clio initialle.

In fact the one youve just linked is the one I had without a working patch lead. Would the halfords patch plug into the harness and actually work? Or would I need a matching harness? I can't see where it would work lol

if you have the little black box as pictured in my link that is in whatever you have used behind your stereo... the halfords patch lead should work for you.

the end of the patch lead (that goes into the black box) should be rectangular with 3 or 4 prongs on it from memory... if i remember, while im cleaning out my car tomorrow, il pull it apart and get some pictures :)

Cheers. I left my box at carries but she sent me a pic a while ago
56adbab5-e1ae-f78b.jpg

56adbab5-e204-911c.jpg

Although the wiring harness worked with the headunit (with the power wires switched) the adaptor never did with my headunit. I'll try the halfords one if it's that cheap!

yup thats the same box I think I have - the end without a wire in looks to be where the adaptor would go. the halfords one may work for you... but is your stereo steering wheel compatible?

my original sony headunit had the correct jacks and stuff - but didnt work. you may get lucky though!

It's cheap enough for me not to care if it's wrong tbh! I'm passing halfords tomorrow so I've just looked and they have it in stock according to their page

Mines a cup so doesn't have any of the Bluetooth etc so would the canbus/wiring differences mean it wouldn't work?

um, im not sure actually - it sounds like you have same stereo stuff as mine. I have no bluetooth or anything, had the cruddy renault stereo with an auc point on the front of it, no rear speakers.... but oddly had tweeter wires! result :D

the only reason I can see that it wouldnt work would either be because your head unit isnt steering wheel control compatable (easy to google to find out if you have the box or something) or you have a duff little black box - my first one didnt work. the replacement they sent me was good, but the patch lead stopped working after a week or two.

If it doesnt work, I can only advise pulling it all apart and clicking it all back in with the new patch lead :)

oooh after a quick google - it wont be your head unit that is at fault for the controls not working then. fingers crossed for the patch lead.

ps great stereo! quite jealous now :p

Yeah I think I found an option on the menu to activate it last time yet that box never worked. Not really sure why at all! I plugged it in to the only place a 3.5 could fit in the back?

I'm on my phone so can't really see the picture - but doesn't the black box go in the middle of those two male connectors? As my black box has two female conectors - one to go onto the harness - and one to go onto the thing you just got from halfords?

Otherwise I'm confused as that's what I did with mine.