Steering wheel wear

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
So I noticed a few days ago my steering wheel has started to wear quite a lot. I haven't noticed it while driving but I happened to notice it while walking past my car. I have done just under 5000 miles... anybody else had this problem and would the warranty cover it?

Pretty bad picture but you can still see what i'm talking about

Its melted mate, my clio one is the same, as are many others..

It is covered under warranty!

I was thinking why it does this today.. And i came up with a logical theory!

It only seems to 'blister' where you have your hands
Mine/most blister/melt at the sides where most people place there hands, but i know mikehealy's wheel is started to wear at the top (where he says he always has his hand)

I recon its the natural oils and sweat in our hands soaking in to the cheap leathery stuff, and the suns heat is basically slow cooking it..

But i could be totally wrong haha! But i cant think of a reason it wouldnt do it anywhere else when the whole wheel gets the sun/heat!

But to answer your question, get it to the renault garage, should get sorted under warranty :)

BlackTwingo-i":3il44qtk said:
I recon its the natural oils and sweat in our hands soaking in to the cheap leathery stuff, and the suns heat is basically slow cooking it..
Nice thought... deep fried steering wheel anyone?

Guess I will leave it for a while if it's under warranty then as if I have it changed now it will just melt again since it sounds common.

I'd get it done sooner rather than later. They don't always do it, and in 5000 miles would be classed as faulty. At 25000 miles they may say it is normal wear and tear.

mine has gone and need to get it done.

it happened on my old clio too.

its mad, renault make good cars but crappy steering wheels

Get over on cliosport and look up the threads about wheel retrims. The guy that does them supposedly works for Bentley or someone (can't remember exactly). If mine goes outside of warranty, I'll be getting it retrimmed for sure.

As yours is in warranty and such low mileage I'd be getting that replaced asap by your dealer.

If you can get hold of someone at edge automotive I think they charge £190.

They never got back to me though and I asked almost a year ago when I had my GT

2 times been repaired under warranty on my Wind.

Now I try not to park it directly in the sun.. usually a mix of a lot of heat and sweaty hands gives the melted steering wheel.

Apparently the steering wheel is quite expensive when it's not under warranty anymore so I'm not sure what I'm going to do if it happens a third time.. Alcantara?

Mines slowly making it's way of doing it, already asking for a new steering wheel for Birthday ;)

Now you all mentioned mine also starting to "melt" on one side but I tend to drive one handed as my friends say taxi style lol one hand wheel other resting on gear knob lmao

Had the same issue with mine 23k on the clock & replaced last month with a 75% contribution from renault . Cost me £100 car is 4 years old so no warranty . Just have a good moan at renault ...

Well I had this all sorted out under warranty now anyways so that's good. Just hope it doesn't happen again now.

its a shame really as it will happen again! lol its just the cheap/fake leather that renault use.

you best bet is prevention! keep it clean and treat it with a lether cleaner and "feed" the leather every now and again with leather protection products to keep it soft and clean.

oh and I almost forgot..... VERY important. .... which ever products you use, use sparingly as the last thing you want is a slippy wheel when faced with a tight corner. :lol: