Steering wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordini_133

Reaction score
Hey guys

Even though i am a car fanatic, lately, i have been even more interested in cars (if thats possible!) and ive been looking at various different cars, from 8K to 500K, tons of websites, even some friends cars, detailed a bunch of different cars for mates etc etc. There are two obvious flaws with the car industry these days, and this is only my personal opinion.

Number 1 - The outside of any car
I beleive the outside of any car can be ruined, or celebrated by the wheels. A crap set of alloys on a beautiful car just destroys it, and a great set of alloys on beautiful car just sets it off! even a great set of alloys on a bad/old car can improve it alot! So why oh why do car manufacturers continue to put horrible wheels on beautiful cars? i know that there are a bunch you can choose from etc etc, but even promo photo shoots of new cars, they put bad alloys on! One of the biggest disappointments is the Mclaren f1. I saw a repeat of the top gear episode of the Mclaren f1 against the bugatti veyron, and the bugatti had nice alloys, and the mclaren f1 has disgusting ones! (again, personal opinion).

Number 2 - The inside of the car
Again, this can make or break a car. The steering wheel. You dont have to have 5K leather, 2K worth of gadgets and gismo's to make a car's interior look good. If a car manufacturer launches a car that is meant to look sporty for not a 'sports car budget', then do that! make it LOOK sporty! Instead they stick a steering wheel in that looks like its from a 1980 volvo! I have never works in a car manufacturer, but im pretty sure that it does not cost alot (if at all more than making a normal steering wheel) to make a steering wheel that looks sporty. By this i mean, flat bottem, maybe a couple of colours (like the twingo gordini) few buttons on, not the size of a bus steering wheel, and slightly more chunky than a fiat panda wheel!

Personally i think those two 'little' things can make a car look great, or make it look cheap!

As ive mentioned a few times now (sorry) this is obviously my personal opinion. I just think making those two things more sporty and more 'modern', 'young' , it will attract sooo many more people to buying the car. Most young drivers, first time buyers, want a sporty looking car, but the sporty looking cars tend to come with a sporty looking price tag, and that's a no no for insurers. So why not make cars that look sporty, have a normal size engine (1.2 - 1.6) ?? thats what young drivers want (most anyway).

I just drove my twingo gordini, and i couldnt help to think, having a flat bottom steering wheel (like those you see in the ferrari's and audi r8's) it would just set the car off so much better.

Anyway, thanks for reading, hopefully i wont have any real 'debaters' about this, as it is just a personal opinion, so, nice comments please! haha, but whats your opinion guys? (my fingers are dead now! haha)

Renault puts kinda big steering wheels on their cars and as much as a nice sporty steering wheel would be nice I'd lose some of the buttons that are placed on it like the cruise control ones & your airbag.

Unless you build something like yotah which you basically don't need all the gizmo's and place a nice race steering wheel.

I think that's what separates the cars of our budget and the lambos ferraris etc. If Renault put sporty wheels covered in buttons they would probably get slated for trying to be something it's not.

Don't forget that these Renaults are marketed as cars that anyone can own and drive so they have to cater for the majority.

I am of the same opinion though... The standard steering wheel is horrid! That's why I swapped mine out for a smaller deep dish OMP wheel.

just to clear things up, i didnt mean a steering wheel the same as the ferrari's etc, im happy with the buttons that it has on the gordini one, but the shape of it, like i said, surely it cant cost any more to have a flat bottom wheel? i test drove the scirocco gt and that had one and it just made the interior sooo much better! i dont expect it to be on a normal twingo, a normal clio or megane, but the SPORT versions of the car i think should have it. Fair doo's not everyone wants a sporty looking car, but surely the people wanting to but a twingo, clio or megane SPORT, DO want a sporty car, so why not have those 'finishing touches' to set the car off? i just think if the gordini that i have came with a flat bottomed wheel, it would set the interior off, take it to that 'next level' . What i love about renaults, is they give a heck of alot for the price. Take the twingo gordini, you get everything except sat nav, for (list price) £14,500, that is a bargain! and if it had those finishing touches like a better wheel, it would just give it the 'edge' over others, yano? again, personal preference

P.s, the new twingo is absolutely BUTT UGLY!! eurgh! what have they done with the foglights??? horrible, much prefer my version

Ah right yeah I see what you mean and yes they could have done something with it. But then again... why just change the steering wheel? The whole interior needs an overhaul really... Throughout the range.

I like the steering wheel mainly because I have huge hands, however was tempted to get it retrimmed in alacantra with an orange stripe in the middle at the top to give a more sportier feel.

I read something about the clio 3 saying how you could sit in there and believe it was a Mercedes it was so well built (written by the chief technician or similar). I do remember laughing.

They have practical interiors which work on track and don't distract. But I've not been in a Renault and thought Ooo that's a great interior. The meg gets close but still, a long way to go.

I think sticking a fancy steering wheel in there would be like sticking a bow in Susan boyles hair. Still a Munter however you dress it up

Ok I'll admit the Laguna coupe is quite nice actually. But still not up there. I'd love to see Renault make an interior as lovely as say Alfa. Some flare and exciting materials, but with some of that pizaz to avoid being boring like ze Germans (anyone say Audi or BMW interiors are exciting are confusing the word with exciting with pleasant. They are not the same)

i think the interior of the twingo gordini is great, especially the seats, love them, the dash is perfectly find, yes the dash board material could be slightly more 'luxurious' , but after all, its not a 'luxury' car, its a sporty, track car. I think the megan and lugana (non sport) should have more 'luxury' in them, as they are more 'cruisers' and not a sporty track car. I think the sport range is the most successful over all the makes, because they are absolutely amazing! I dont think they should change much at all with the sport range, except the smaller things such as the steering wheel, positioning of the fog lights (the new ugly twingo) maybe some bits of chrome here and there or something, i duno, just rough ideas! but alfa's arent the most reliable, and you dont get anywhere near as good value for money as you do with the renaults, so i suppose its what your going for? you want a luxury car or a sporty car? if you had both, the price would boom up. Thats why when you get to bmw m3 money, or even up to ferrari money, you get both, you get the luxury and you get the sportiness in the car. Overall i love the renault's , just like to see some extra 'sporty' parts, that would push their sport range abover other cars even more. The big competition is obviously the fiat 500 abarth and the twingo sport, i would never buy a fiat 500, its a girls car, the 500 may be a little quicker, but i think add the finishing 'sporty' touches, and more people will sway towards the twingo

people buy fiat 500's, whether its the normal version or the abarth version, because of the name 'fiat 500', its a car that was out years and years ago, and now come back, same as mini coopers, mini was iconic, and it came back, and boom! popular! tbh, i have only personally seen two fat 500 abarths in person, seen alot more 133's and 5 gordini's. without being rude, if your not a fan, firstly why do you have one? and secondly why are you on this site?? i love my car, the gordini is amazing, the interior is different than in a standard 133 cup, only thing missing is a sat nav, and your comment of comparing putting a better steering wheel on it is like putting a bow in susan boyles hair, that is just pathetic really, so ill save my typing for that comment, and again, if you think it is soooooo bad, and soooo ugly, then sell your car, buy another one and get off this site..., i dont like fiat 500's, so i havent bought one, and im not a member of their forum

Although the Fiat 500 Abarth could be a little faster and nicer on the interior, the Twingo RS received beter reviews.

Received better critical reviews. But, the fiat is a commercial success. Renault shifted 3000 twingos (in total including all versions) in the uk last year. That's shocking. I love my car, that's why I'm here. But I don't have 'my car is the best everitis' like some people. I accept it has flaws and the interior is the biggest. Where the fiat has a nicer interior. People but the 500 because they want to. And for no other reason :)

My Subo joke was just that. A joke. And it stands. Even with the dini, like putting a pitbull in a jacket. Still a dog. Just like Subo with her bow in her hair.

you love your car? all your saying is its shit, talking about all the flaws?? i love my car, and thats why im praising it, i think you have a different meaning of 'love' than other people. People buy the fiat 500 and the mini cooper because of the name, all i see is old woman, mums and tarty little girls driving the fiat 500, most being stock, like i said, ive seen just two abarths (maybe because theres not that many in the south east, i dont know) but a range of people drive the twingo sport, girls, guys, older guys etc, its not just some 'pose mobile', and thats all the mini cooper drivers are too, women mainly, the only guys that drive it are bad boy wannabes, 'soupin it up' with shit rims, spoiler etc. All you have done is slag off renault, slag off the twingo, you say you love your car and thats why your hear, tbh, thats hard to believe, why dont you chuck your car in and get a 500?? you seem to love them too! i literally just googled image both the twingo gordini and the abarth interior (as the 'gordini' and 'abarth' are both unique designs, the 'add ons' to normal models) and the inside of the 500 is just not nice, in my opinion, its very girly, its tried to be retro and modern at the same time, put it this way, if your a tarty girl or a older woman trying to cling onto her youth, buy a 500, if your a modern guy/girl who loves a car that handles absolutely amazing and likes to have a modern interior, but the twingo sport/gordini. BUT not the new twingo, as i hate the design of that, mainly the front lighting position

Gordini_133":3ozslpv2 said:
you love your car? all your saying is its s**t, talking about all the flaws?? i love my car, and thats why im praising it, i think you have a different meaning of 'love' than other people. People buy the fiat 500 and the mini cooper because of the name, all i see is old woman, mums and tarty little girls driving the fiat 500, most being stock, like i said, ive seen just two abarths (maybe because theres not that many in the south east, i dont know) but a range of people drive the twingo sport, girls, guys, older guys etc, its not just some 'pose mobile', and thats all the mini cooper drivers are too, women mainly, the only guys that drive it are bad boy wannabes, 'soupin it up' with s**t rims, spoiler etc. All you have done is slag off renault, slag off the twingo, you say you love your car and thats why your hear, tbh, thats hard to believe, why dont you chuck your car in and get a 500?? you seem to love them too! i literally just googled image both the twingo gordini and the abarth interior (as the 'gordini' and 'abarth' are both unique designs, the 'add ons' to normal models) and the inside of the 500 is just not nice, in my opinion, its very girly, its tried to be retro and modern at the same time, put it this way, if your a tarty girl or a older woman trying to cling onto her youth, buy a 500, if your a modern guy/girl who loves a car that handles absolutely amazing and likes to have a modern interior, but the twingo sport/gordini. BUT not the new twingo, as i hate the design of that, mainly the front lighting position

People dont buy the 500s and Minis for their names. How many women do you know that are that into their cars to know that they are re-births of old cars? I assume you dont realise that the Twingo is another one of these cars that has been relaunched? So why arent women buying it?

People buy 500s and minis because they are cutesy and funky, reasonably priced and look good. Simple as that.

Also the guy above isnt slaggin the Twigno off. He's being honest and realistic, not deluded and one dimensional.

the 'mums' that buy them (plenty and plenty around where i live) know the fiat 500 from ages ago, and because they brought it back, its like 'the must have car', same with the mini, both the mini and 500 were iconic cars, and thats why when they got brought back, the advertising was crazy, every car show had them, because of their names, so because of the name, its 'the must have car', and yes, women think the cars are 'cute' , and not being funny, cars that women call 'cute' and not cars made for men...and like i said, the interior of the 500 doesnt really know what it is, is it retro? is it modern? they have tried to do both, the big fat centre console where the gearstick is, is just gastly. Everyone has their own opinion, and i like i said in the opening post to this page, nice comments please! and this guy is just slagging off renault and the twingo. I dont see the point in firstly buying the car, and then going on the forum if all you do is slag the car off, saying how bad it is blah blah. Cars these days are mainly status pieces, so a girl saying 'ive just bought a new fiat 500' is all about status, because the 500 and the mini are huge names in the car industry, are they the best?? no, but they are the biggest names (for smaller cars) If a girl puts all over fb and tells her friends, ive just bought a peugot 306, will anyone take any notice? no...will anyone be jealous? no... but (mainly girls) will be jealous if they buy a mini or a 500, because of what it is. Do most girls give a crap about performance? in general....no, they just want a car that 'looks cute', The performance of the abarth is great, i admit that, its slightly better than the twingo sport, but it looks like a little bug, it is a girly car, whereas this site is dedicated to a sporty/track car that is mainly for guys but can be for girls too! thats what is so great about it

maggi112":1cvue47n said:
Received better critical reviews. But, the fiat is a commercial success. Renault shifted 3000 twingos (in total including all versions) in the uk last year. That's shocking. I love my car, that's why I'm here. But I don't have 'my car is the best everitis' like some people. I accept it has flaws and the interior is the biggest. Where the fiat has a nicer interior. People but the 500 because they want to. And for no other reason :)

My Subo joke was just that. A joke. And it stands. Even with the dini, like putting a pitbull in a jacket. Still a dog. Just like Subo with her bow in her hair.

Fully agree. It is what it is and certainly has its problems, interior being one of them. For me it adds character, as long as the interior functions correctly it fits the rest of the car.

This guy is HERE (not to be confused with hear) because he loves his car. It's fun, entertaining and does its job wonderfully, but I believe you're (notice that's different to your) confusing your gordini with perhaps something more expensive or exotic. The gordini lifts the interior from plain drab to reasonable but it's still the same layout. I've accepted it as a characteristic. Form before function.

You gave an opinion, as did I. Simply because mine doesn't conform with yours you seem to have become quite angry (perhaps its the use of
punctuation. I also split my post up into sentences and paragraphs?) I'm not out to make you feel bad about your car but my opinion (yes I have one) is that the interior is one of the worst in the segment and I bought the car for the way it drives, it's exterior charm and it's relatively low running costs. If you like the interior.... Good for you :)