Sticking

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
Bit of advice needed
Since Feb when I got the car the brakes stick on momentarily when for example the car has been sat parked for a while such as overnight or when I'm at work

When I come to start I take my handbrake off then when I start to move the brakes feel stuck on and it takes a small amount of accelerator peddle to move. There is a clunk sound when I do eventually move then thats it. Noticed a faint rubbing sound recently as well when braking. But this is only recently and the above issue has been ongoing for months

the_notorious_C_A_T":351o8im6 said:
Brakes normally act like that when sat for a bit, a quick drive and cleans them nicely. I always get that as well. Although the rubbing sound goes after a little use.
+1 I agree with this mate

The car is used everyday. With one or two long drives every few weeks

Will no damage result from the clunking when setting off as this happens around twice a day?

It should be fine and wear off soon with some good use of the brakes dude. At least in my experience that is

They may benefit from a strip down, clean and some copper slip on the pad carrier contact patch.

However, handbrakes do tend to stick on a bit if left applied for a while... although, thats generaly a lot more than overnight or after work.

singlespeed":vs8wm836 said:
They may benefit from a strip down, clean and some copper slip on the pad carrier contact patch.

However, handbrakes do tend to stick on a bit if left applied for a while... although, thats generaly a lot more than overnight or after work.

I think I'll do this during my time off over christmas. What's the best way to clean them?

Lift the caliper up, by undoing the two bolts holding the caliper onto the carrier. Can't remember if the handbrake would need backing off and the cable unhooking.

Take the pads out of the carrier and scrape off the contact areas where the pads backing plate rests into the carrier. Rince off with a squirt of brake cleaner. A small dab of copper slip grease on the points where the backing plate rests in the carrier and a light dab on the back of the pads where the caliper piston and outer end of the caliper presses. Obviously, don't get grease on the disc or face of the pads.

singlespeed":2xkek9wc said:
Lift the caliper up, by undoing the two bolts holding the caliper onto the carrier. Can't remember if the handbrake would need backing off and the cable unhooking.

Take the pads out of the carrier and scrape off the contact areas where the pads backing plate rests into the carrier. Rince off with a squirt of brake cleaner. A small dab of copper slip grease on the points where the backing plate rests in the carrier and a light dab on the back of the pads where the caliper piston and outer end of the caliper presses. Obviously, don't get grease on the disc or face of the pads.

is there any specific tools needed for this job? Before I go ahead

Happens to mine all the time. Living by the seaside the damp/wind/salt causes that bit of corrosion.

Obviously worse in wet weather / winter time.

It's happened on most of the cars I've had here to a greater or lesser extent. I'd rate the Twingo as one of the worst and my conclusion is that it's down to the "open" alloys. Cars with a more solid alloy or a tin wheel protect the brake disc / pad more so present less symptoms in my experience.

Finally going to strip down the front brakes tomorrow and clean them up. The grinding sound is happening every time I brake now. I'll inspect the pads, might be an excuse to upgrade :)

I get this everyday, only the handbrake though.
Only at work for 9 hours tops, and it's seized on. 1st gear and a bit of throttle and suddenly there's a worrying clunk as you skip forward!