strange noise

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabbot

Reaction score
my exhaust is now very loud and when i turn left there is aloud scraping noise comingfrom the front driver side wheel

i have looked underneath and in the engine bay and it does not appear to be anything obvious

any ideas

I don't know about the turning noise really but my guess would be a bad bearing or joint on the wheel, the noisy exhaust could be caused by a hole in it.
Have you gone over any speed bumps a bit quick recently? could have maybe damaged part of the suspension/wheel and scraped your exhaust on it causing a hole.

there was a loud bang before all this started i presume something has come unattached causing the issues.

Crank the front end up and see if you can wiggle the wheel about, if you can then yeah somethings broken and you should just have it looked at because it could be a few things and it will probably just get worse.

DanPaul7":31oc8tlk said:
Crank the front end up and see if you can wiggle the wheel about, if you can then yeah somethings broken and you should just have it looked at because it could be a few things and it will probably just get worse.
you can guarantee it won't get any better on its own.

What would cause the extra exhaust noise, whilst giving a problem when turning in one direction has me scratching my head a bit.

yeah its a strange one its booked in renault on thursday i was thinking possibly the manifold or downpipe has come loose i look underneath and from the cat back the exhaust is fine heat shield is still in place. suspension looks ok nothing in the way of the wheels and brakes are fine

when driving on the motorway you cant hear the passenger its so loud

hey man sounds like you have a leak in your exhaust somewhere or some kind of restriction or loss in your system, it may be the unions at the cat that could be expelling noise or small holes where the pipe is joining onto the back box which most times arent visible the sort of holes you test for when welding an exhaust, they seem to be the loud ones. when you turn left, does it only happen on full or very close to full lock as compared to a small left turn on a motorway gentle bend, about 98% sure it is your cv joint or 2% axle bearing. cv joints and renaults are not very good pals lol

exhausr between cat and back box are fine problem lies before the cat

grinding happens when the weight of the car goes to the righthand side if i corner flat and slowly it makes no noise

good news called the AA out today and after removing the battery and airbox found the gearbox mount has completly sheered this causeing all the problems we managed to put a tempory fix in place that should hold till tomorrow when it gets replaced

Well its all one part, engine/gearbox (or at least it was) :lol: The gearbox or the exhaust downpipe probably ended up resting on the subframe.

was it the bush that failed, of the metal castings on either the gearbox or battery support?
What year is yours... Pre or post april 2008?

its a 2010 reg it was the bit inside the rubber that had rusted and eventually gave way

Had the exact same symptoms, turned out to be a snapped engine mount at the cost of £263.15 fitted from Renault Oxford. So not exactly in love with my car at the moment. I also got a light grinding sound when turning left because one of the pulleys in the engine bay was scraping against the engine bay sidewall thanks to the engine being 3" to the right from where it used to be