Strange pop!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_225

Reaction score
Was driving the Mrs 133 the other day and was demonstrating the noise of the Green induction kit.

I went for a down change from 3rd to 2nd, blipped the throttle to match the revs (3.5-4k) and came off the throttle.

Gear change was nice and smooth but there was a loud pop that sounded induction/exhaust related. Do you get popping from the induction end of things? I've had it from exhausts but not elsewhere? :shock:

I've had induction kits on the last three RenaultSport cars I've owned or driven regularly and they never made a noise like that. Strange as it wasn't a harsh gear change, if anything it was a good one haha.

Any ideas?

Sometimes I get a bang from the engine bay when rev matching, typically from high revs.

For me however, it's the cone hitting the bonnet (most likely due to the fact it's helf in place with cable ties!). Whether or not it could be related you'll have to figure out :)

Funny you say that, the induction kit is set up much the same way but it's quite firmly wedged into the airbox so can't think it's shifting about.

Just strange if it is a pop from the exhaust or engine!?!

I would just check everything is done up tight and see if it happen again, then consider it further. if it was a misfire or something more sinister it should have recorded the fault so get it read?

If it had picked up a misfire or something like that, isn't it likely to switch on the engine management light?

Hey dude,

I signed up just to reply to this as I frequently get the same thing since I've owned the car. It's been driving me insane as I have no idea where it's coming from and it's always when shifting down matching the revs but engine temp, speed, gear selection seem to make no difference.

It's happened on the following configurations so I doubt very much it's your induction kit:

Standard car
Standard air filter + k-tec downpipe exhaust
K-tec panel air filter + k-tec downpipe exhaust
BMC panel air filter + k-tec downpipe exhaust
BMC panel air filter + k-tec catback exhaust

Car has been through 2 services and 3 rolling road sessions in 2 and a half years without a single fault picked up with the engine and no abnormalities recorded.

I've actually scared the shit out of people on the side of the road it's been that loud sometimes :(

Ive never heard any of it can you make it do it often if so try get a video ?

Seems to be completely random so I'd have to record every drive to try and catch it which is out of the question :(

Ah not good can you also here it with the music on ?

Also do you have the bungs out the air box ?

Twingogeekeo":100mhg0z said:
Ah not good can you also here it with the music on ?

Also do you have the bungs out the air box ?

It's really loud whilst in the car, you cannot miss it even with music on and exhaust reverberation.

My airbox bung has been securely fitted for about 7 months now. I check it every time I fill the screenwash up and check oil which is every other week.

I haven't had too much of a look about or fiddle with the 133, as it is still new, hence no real desire to go ripping it appart without due cause.

My old Fiat Ceicento sporting used to pop and bang occasionally on the over-run and downchanging. There was also a slight missfire whilst cold, which annoyed the hell out of me but the garage couldn't find any cause for during a week long stay with them. There was no faults recorded... So there couldn't be a problem :lol: However after picking it up from it's pointless stay, I drove down to the lakes for the weekend, the fault became worse, to the point I drove into the garage at 16:30 on a friday evening and refused to leave untill I had a replacement car or it was fixed :evil:

They heard me comming as it was realy rather loud, so they were surprised to see no fault codes present. The Fiat had two ignition coils and operated a wasted spark ignition to keep emissions down. So, on a hunch they swapped out one of the coils with a model in the showroom and solved the problem second time lucky. It appears that the faulty coil was basicaly missfiring so that there was some unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber after the power stroke... When the ignition fired for the wasted spark, cycle on the exhaust stroke, it was igniting the remaining fuel whilst the exhaust valve was open, hence the bang.

If the 133 has a wasted spark ignition, it may be worth a look in that direction ;)

Twingogeekeo":qxusn7kx said:
TURBO":qxusn7kx said:
Penn":qxusn7kx said:
Twingogeekeo":qxusn7kx said:
Could it be a engine mount knocking ? Maybe the dog bone mount ?

Doesn't sound mechanical, it sounds like a paper popper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74DK3wj1hAU

love the use of paper pop to replecate the noise :lol:

Turbo im sure you can help the answer see you work on cars everyday.

u must have me confused with someone else!! :lol:
iv only just spotted this thread tbh, il read it through and c if i have any brain waves :ugeek:

TURBO":1znpmogj said:
Penn":1znpmogj said:
Twingogeekeo":1znpmogj said:
Could it be a engine mount knocking ? Maybe the dog bone mount ?

Doesn't sound mechanical, it sounds like a paper popper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74DK3wj1hAU

love the use of paper pop to replecate the noise :lol:

I originally thought it was the paper filter dislodging in the air box letting go some extra air in a sudden "pop". Seeing as I've been through so many filter combinations though that idea went out the window!

My only other idea would be air trapped in the resonator box being released abnormally. It happens as soon as you blip the throttle with the clutch down, it's not after you've engaged the gear.

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this post.

I've not noticed it happen since, although the one down change I did notice this noise on was matching the revs at about 4k which is higher than your average down change.

It's certainly not a mechanical knock such as engine mounts but does sound far more like an induction/exhaust type pop. Hence thinking it could be the induction kit!?

My Lupo used to do the exact same type of thing on a blipped down change but that was with a new manifold, induction kit and full exhaust system. I wouldn't expect the Twingo to pop on a down change through the stock exhaust.