Sudden light steering

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPaul7

Reaction score
I've noticed that when steering around a corner that sometimes the steering becomes extremely light very suddenly. It mostly happens when traveling under 20mph but occasionally at higher speeds. Happens most often when turning the car 90 degrees or more but sometimes it can happen with minimal steering inputs... steering starts off with normal resistance and then suddenly gives out and feels like the steering wheel has ripped off in my hands lol
Could this be an issue with the power steering pump or is this common?

Is that not a skid ? maybe understeering? Do you mean that when you move the wheel it doesn't do what you want?

Doesnt the twingo have that thing that tightens the steering when u get faster. Could have something to do with that not working properly

Sounds like understeer to me as well, as it has been described. Try unloading the steering slightly (to let the tyres grip again), and then reapplying.

Mine had done this a couple of times as well, mine has only done it when I been rolling at very slow speeds less than 15mph and on full lock.

LCplParks":2sj3qxr4 said:
Is that not a skid ? maybe understeering? Do you mean that when you move the wheel it doesn't do what you want?
At first that's what I was thinking but it's definitely not breaking traction, car still responds exactly as it should, there is just NO resistance in the steering wheel :?

Just to clarify it is definitely not losing traction. I could for example steer to the left and have the steering wheel become light as a feather and then ease up on the steering and even start steering in the opposite direction with the same effect. Normal behavior only seems to resume once steering input has stopped and the wheel is resting dead centre.

DanPaul7":2uuif37s said:
Just to clarify it is definitely not losing traction. I could for example steer to the left and have the steering wheel become light as a feather and then ease up on the steering and even start steering in the opposite direction with the same effect. Normal behavior only seems to resume once steering input has stopped and the wheel is resting dead centre.

Sounds like what I have happened to me like I said only happened to me a couple of times though

poweller23":ipj1h840 said:
Sounds like what I have happened to me like I said only happened to me a couple of times though
Good to know it's not just me then... It started happening a while ago but it was quite rare, though it seems to be happening a lot more now.

Yeah mines a lot more frequent than that, more like 8 times an hour...

DanPaul7":3qe5hzul said:

Have your tyres got plenty of tread? Correct pressures? Anything loose? Any strange noises?

Daveyb133":16cjfkf0 said:
DanPaul7":16cjfkf0 said:

Have your tyres got plenty of tread? Correct pressures? Anything loose? Any strange noises?
Tyres are only like 2 weeks old and the pressures are good, I check them every 3-4 days. Nothing loose... that I know of :s
Only noise I get is a rattling from the back which drives me insane because I can't figure it out and a faint rattle noise that seems to be coming through the fan inside the car when turning left sometimes.

poweller23":3qz4cyyd said:
Maybe the steering assist get over excited lol
Does the steering assist turn off with the little button under the steering column or is that just traction control?

Edit: woops double post...

Mines done this occasionally since i had to turn the wheel about 100 times to get in a space. Then steering became very very heavy. Went out in it a few hours later and all seemed fine. Took it to renault asnit was still in warranty and they said the Twingo has a protection system which cuts the pas pump so it doesnt get too hot (makes sense when you go lock to lock 100 times) they also said that as the pas is electical if it fails it wont damage anything unlike a hydraulic system.

Still feel like the steering isnt as light as when i first bought it or maybe ive got so used to the car