Surely this isnt normal?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barki

Reaction score
Hello all :D

Picked up a rough 133 a few weeks back. I've spend a lot of time sorting various things and generally tidying it up since.

Took it out for first drive tonight. Really happy generally but;

- It makes an unbelievable level of road/wind noise. It seems to come from the front N/S and at first I was convinced that the N/S/F bearing was shot. I was surprised to find when I took the caliper off and spun the disc that it was nearly silent. I'm now thinking that it's literally just wind noise coming through the scvuttle panel and out of those vents in the top of the dash? Does anyone else notice this...it's like 10x louder than any other car I've had (and that includes R5GTT's and Willy Clio's!).

Also

- My exhaust is stock except from crappy looking mild steel 'performance' backbox. It sounds like its blowing, but I've crawled around underneath and I can't find any holes or any evidence. I'm wondering if I need to get the garage to take a closer look at the manifold (looking at it, I don't think I can get it off at home...). Is this common on the 133? Flexi looked ok, but might actually take a closer look at that with the splash shield off.

Cheers anyone for any advice :)

P.S - Putting some pics up soon, had so much to do on it I've been working in the garage until 1030 each night...havn't got it out in the daylight yet!

Tom

Sounds normal to me. Do you have 17 inch cup wheels on ? That will contribute to the noise or maybe a door seal or windows not fully wound up.

Exhaust is a pita best off replaceing rubbish connections and common mid box splitting & blowing manifold is actually the strongest part of it highly unlike that's blowing/cracked that would be massively loud if it was.

Check the mid box seal all the way around, mine was blowing in 2 places along the seal. It's probably normal noises mate i get terrible road noise from the tires.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I get noise from my one at around 70mph, mine had a windscreen replaced I think. Think it wasn't sealed properly, maybe this happened to yours too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright cheers guys.

I'll have a closer look at the midbox this weekend

I think the road noise thing might be literslly wind getting around the windscreen seal! g

The mid box split is a absolute breeze to fix and lasts.

Where it's blowing down the seam simply grind edge off to reveal clean steel. Clamp seams together and mig it. Seriously even dodgy MOT garage welders couldn't mess it up. Took me 10 mins. Did mine two years ago and still not blowing.

edit-
BTW I had bad wind noise on mine when I first got it - including whistle. Basically there were a few fixings missing on plastics on the front and underneath. Helped a lot but still load as cars go for wind noise

Cheers mate - Had the mid box sorted - To be honest it's barely made any difference.

I then spent (wasted) £30 having the local garage pressure test the exhaust - no leaks at all. Seems good. So they road tested it and agreed that the noise inside the cabin is insane.

There are two noises

- Wind noise, unbelievably loud even at 10mph but I can live with it. I notice that the fresh air/recirc valve lever is stuck and I'm wondering if the position of the valve is causing that problem. It has an aftermarket headunit so I'm going to whip it out tomorrow and see if whoever fitted it trapped the valve cable.

- Endless, mesmerising engine 'clatter'. It just sounds like the engine is on your lap the whole time. No knocking or grinding. It sounds like a healthy engine but it's just as it your ear it right up against the block. Im beginning to wonder if a pully is fouling on the chassis (could engine mount failure cause this?), or maybe the cambelt is slapping about. This sounds dies off when you dip the clutch, it's definitely tied into the speed of the engine.

I just took the 133 for an epic country lane thrashing and it was amazing on four new tyres, except now im deaf in both ears and feel sick lol.

My upper gearbox mount collapsed once, car still drove but was an obvious problem. Check your bottom crank pulley and make sure it's not rubbing on the chassis as this also happened to me.

Check the play in your mounts though as this would be the easiest thing to look at. If you put a bit of paint on a part you suspect is rubbing against something time will tell if it is that part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some other thoughts.

Has someone taken out the sound deadening to lighten the car?
Has someone taken off the plastic blank on the air-box to increase induction roar?
Has it got a none standard exhaust manifold on it?

If the engine is touching something you should be getting vibrations in the driving seat.

To put my 133 in context. I also have a box standard 106 gti. That I would argue is louder on acceleration (rev'd hard through the gears) but at higher speed noise level from the wind and engine are far lower than the 133.

Between 20-30 mph I get seriously loud tyre/road noise, my friend measured it once and it reached 86db, I don't notice it anymore but my passengers always complain how loud the tyres are.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Easy way to check mounts is put the handbrake on. Open the bonnet and get someone to put gas on and let the clutch out so the car is trying to pull but the handbrake is holding the car back. Viewing with the bonnet open you should see excessive rock and hear if anything rubs.