Suspension Lower Balljoint Rubbers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDrew

Reaction score
Just had my two year service done, and whilst it was on the ramp the garage picked up that the suspension lower balljoint rubbers were beginning to split. The dealer have been great thus far and are fitting everything around me to replace it all under warranty.

Was mainly writing this as something to check for those of you doing your own maintenance etc, as the dealer took lots of photos etc to send off to renault as "they've seen this a few times". Doubt it'll be something for that many people - but worth a check.

Monster Detail":23wmg2ig said:
Can you get hold of the pictures, mate?

Do you know if/how I could check mine?

Is there any symptoms?

Thanks, Matt

Didn't ask at the time, but am going back next week to have the replacements fitted so will ask for copies of the photos then and let you know.

I've not had any symptoms at all with mine, but that could be as they are just starting to split. I would imagine Karl or Mike would be able to say how to check them best - don't really know myself :? .

DrDrew":2wqo60z7 said:
Monster Detail":2wqo60z7 said:
Can you get hold of the pictures, mate?

Do you know if/how I could check mine?

Is there any symptoms?

Thanks, Matt

Didn't ask at the time, but am going back next week to have the replacements fitted so will ask for copies of the photos then and let you know.

I've not had any symptoms at all with mine, but that could be as they are just starting to split. I would imagine Karl or Mike would be able to say how to check them best - don't really know myself :? .

Fair enough, mate.

Can one of the experts please advise how to check for this and if there are any symptoms please?

ive already been told mine are gone, ive got my first service this saturday :lol:

had mine replaced on both services, the garage likes my car blag it all on warranty :D but would be interesting to check by gearbox bush but the things welded in :(

i'll crack on again with bush companies but they seemed firm in not thinking about the 133 for a few years even though they could make a tidy some :(
maybe a mass e-mail through all euro sites might do the trick??

i think mine are going, get a creaking noise when people are getting out the back of the car, also the car feels a little soft?

Replacement happened today and all seems good. Pics of the old ones should be on the way to me by email - so will stick them up when I get them.

Only problem is it now feels like my tracking is a little off - which I'm a little pissed about - so may have to ring up and get that sorted now. Just a minor annoyance, and apart from that the garage have been great.

Small update to this. Smiths Renault Peterborough were very apologetic that this had happened. All sorted and made sure I'm happy very quickly so no quibbles at all. Good service from Smiths, am very happy with them. Would recommend to anyone in the area. (Even to those in Notts region - It's well worth the little travel to avoid Renault Notts)

For those interested. These are the pics I've been sent through of the faulty lower balljoint rubbers.

259894_10150304442465465_3301350_n.jpg

259894_10150304442470465_3508199_n.jpg

Edit: Updated Image URLs after the host moved them

I think i had this problem on the second service last year the passenger side, they changed the whole arm not just the ball joint under warrenty. I will need to check the invoice to be sure thou.

Yeah, they had to change the whole suspension arms on mine. I assume the rubber is bonded/sealed in place at the factory

yea the ball joint comes as part of the arm,

did they say if there was any play in the ball joints or was it because the rubber boots had split??

Mine have both split aswell. I got told by my dealer at it's last service but they won't replace mine as I had lowered my car 2 days before it's service and blamed me for stiffening the suspension causing them to split.

sdr89":3pcwul2f said:
Mine have both split aswell. I got told by my dealer at it's last service but they won't replace mine as I had lowered my car 2 days before it's service and blamed me for stiffening the suspension causing them to split.

That's a bit rough. My garage has reported it to Renault as a bit of a recurrent issue. (think they had replaced on three others before mine). Could be worth talking to Renault uk, or your dealer again saying it's obviously not an unknown that it can happen on completely unmodified cars.

sdr89":1so31lb5 said:
If the ball joint has worn, giving free play in the joint, or the severity of the lowering had caused the rubber boot to be pinched between control arm and upright, then the comment may be valid. If however there is no play and it is just the boot that has split, then that is age/chemical related for the rubber to perish.