Suspension noise on full steering lock

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndevlin87

Reaction score
My twingo RS (with the 17 inch wheels) sometimes makes a hollow clunk type noise from the front suspension when driving over a pothole or speedbump whilst turning tightly at low speed. During the last MOT the tester found no issues or play in any of the suspension components. Any ideas what it might be? Could the wheel/tyre be catching on something when moving within the arch at full lock?

Are you feeling any feedback through the steering wheel when it clunks? How many miles and what age is your RS?

What size tyres have you got on the rims? Someone fitted 205/40/17 on mine before I got it, wheel arch ended up shredded. Changed to 195/40 now, wouldn't explain clunk noise however

I'll check the tyres, pretty sure they're the standard size though. Were you asking about the steering with a view to suggesting the steering rack? Any other areas people think I should focus on? I'm thinking a more thorough investigation by my mechanic might be warranted. It only happens sometimes, on very rough corners or when going over a speed bump whilst making a turn in car parks, so I'm not sure how much of an issue it might be.

That's interesting to know, what age/mileage is your car? I get the impression that it's best not to worry too much about the odd strange noise / flashing light on these cars!

Sounds like a worn rubber on the top mount of the MacPherson strut, it's flexing on full lock, some solid top mounts would be a good upgrade and eliminate the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought, CV joints - our gaiters are pretty rubbish appparently and a CV on full lock would make a clunking?