Swirl marks?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpy

Reaction score
Well i got the car back from renault the other day after having a new gearbox fitted, they gave it a clean inside and out.

Now inside i am chuffed with as its something i can never be arsed to do. But outside is jsut a joke it looks like its been washed with a brillo pad, swirl marks all over and some fine scratches.

Ive got most of them out and all the fine scratches but can still see some when the sun hits it.

Whats the best stuff/method to get rid of swirls?

cheers!

Like Josh says needs to be mopped now :(

Lucky for use our valeters at work ar into detailing so know what there doing

Twingogeekeo":1hb4lcvb said:

Two things, mate:

Please stop referring to machine polishing as mopping, that is what cowboy bodyshops call it and they never, ever do a good job (99% of the time inflicting more defects than they've removed).

WOW if your valeters don't scratch cars! That would make your dealership the first that I've come across that doesn't employ monkeys (not in the racist sense, not least because most of them are eastern European).

Problem is most main dealers use automatic car washers. And are payed minimum wage = clean car but swirl marks. Have to tell them when you book in not to clean the car.

The other alternative would be using something to fill the scratches, although this will be cheaper than machine polishing, it will be an ongoing task as the fillers wear off. However, you won't be absolutely gutted when/if you find any more marks.

Autoglym SRP has quite a lot of fillers and also polishes the surface a little bit and can be topped with EGP.

Alternatively, Autobalm produces stunning results with a bit of work, >>> look here >>>
https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=64787&page=9

singlespeed":z8uytifp said:
The other alternative would be using something to fill the scratches, although this will be cheaper than machine polishing, it will be an ongoing task as the fillers wear off. However, you won't be absolutely gutted when/if you find any more marks.

Autoglym SRP has quite a lot of fillers and also polishes the surface a little bit and can be topped with EGP.

Alternatively, Autobalm produces stunning results with a bit of work, >>> look here >>>

Dodo Juice make Lime Prime, which is much better than SRP in my opinion. Obviously, I'm thoroughly biased, as I sell it for a living but it is honestly a significantly better product. Let me know if you choose to go down that route, as I can do you an excellent deal :)

Monster Detail":1t8jb2qc said:
singlespeed":1t8jb2qc said:

Dodo Juice make Lime Prime, which is much better than SRP in my opinion. Obviously, I'm thoroughly biased, as I sell it for a living but it is honestly a significantly better product. Let me know if you choose to go down that route, as I can do you an excellent deal :)

I only mentioned SRP as it works well by hand, is readily avaliable and is a one step product that produces reasonable results in terms mininising swirls and scratches whilst having reasonable durability of finish.

LP will need to be topped with a wax or sealant for any lasting durability as the glazing oils won't last long without. However, the micro abrasives of LP probably work better than SRP for actual correction properties when applied by machine. I used LP applied by machine for the twingo's first wash, to sort the slight swirling. Though using a machine, you might as well use a cutting pad and compound to remove the swirls propperly.

The amount of damage Autobalm can hide is realy rather astonishing ;)

I used SRP then i put the auto glym high definition wax over the top, shine came out great etc, but can still see swirl marks. Nowhere near as many as there was though!

Know anyplaces/companys thatll machine polish it for me? i majorly could not be bothered to that, it took me some doing just polishing it! haha. plus i would more than likely mess it up.

(i've rang and they said they wont do anything about it as i cant proove they werent already there, i rang a few days late also. :(

A machine polish will full correct the swirls as you'd be cutting back a layer of lacquer so that the swirls are no longer there. That's the only way to fully get rid.

The alternative is to use a filling plolish so as you mentioned Super Resin Polish is very good for this. It's also worth considering Meguiars Swirl-X (not to be mistaken for Scratch-X) which is designed purely to fill swirls. Also I believe Meguiars NXT liquid wax is meant to be good at filling swirls but don't quote me on that.

So those are the two options, personally I'd go with the hand polish to start with as it'll cost you a lot less to begin with.

Also, don't forget that as unsightly as swirls are they're not the end of the world and you can only machine polish your car a finite number of times. Hence why I've held back from machine polishing mine, as for minor imperfection, I don't deem it necessary.

Monster Detail":3rbeicvb said:
Twingogeekeo":3rbeicvb said:

Two things, mate:

Please stop referring to machine polishing as mopping, that is what cowboy bodyshops call it and they never, ever do a good job (99% of the time inflicting more defects than they've removed).

WOW, if your valeters don't scratch cars! That would make your dealership the first that I've come across that doesn't employ monkeys (not in the racist sense, not least because most of them are eastern European).

MOP = Machine operrated polish (yes i cant spell)

And our valeters are into detailing very much they even have super natural and so on. No they dont use it on customers cars :lol:

Monster Detail":3rdp8yjy said:
singlespeed":3rdp8yjy said:

Cant agree more i prefer prime lime

Alex_225":211s6fhz said:
A machine polish will full correct the swirls as you'd be cutting back a layer of lacquer so that the swirls are no longer there. That's the only way to fully get rid.

The alternative is to use a filling plolish so as you mentioned Super Resin Polish is very good for this. It's also worth considering Meguiars Swirl-X (not to be mistaken for Scratch-X) which is designed purely to fill swirls. Also I believe Meguiars NXT liquid wax is meant to be good at filling swirls but don't quote me on that.

So those are the two options, personally I'd go with the hand polish to start with as it'll cost you a lot less to begin with.

Also, don't forget that as unsightly as swirls are they're not the end of the world and you can only machine polish your car a finite number of times. Hence why I've held back from machine polishing mine, as for minor imperfection, I don't deem it necessary.

Also can use a glaze to fill

Our contract valeters just know how to press button 3 for a service wash lol

Twingogeekeo":1iy3jyei said:
Also can use a glaze to fill

You know what, I always forget about glazes. I've got Chemical Guys Blackhole and it was good on my Lupo's roof but I never thought it made a massive difference to SRP.

it's poorboys black hole alex :p smells lush!

SRP is such an underated product, it's actually very good. And to those comparing it to Lime Prime, they're different products.

SRP is acrylic based cleanser with some decent cut and decent filling ability. Lime Prime is oil based, and as such can not leave a base for sealants like SRP can.

Just to point something out :)

*pulls spaz face* course it is haha.

The bottles look the same. I've got a sh!te load of CG's stuff I've not even opened yet. lol

haha I was doing a bit of a check on what I have got. not sure how I've got 7 bottles of z7 4 bottles of z6 and 2 z2 bottles but I do :lol:

As for chemical guys stuff... toooo much! Pretty much everything they do. My car now has 5 coats of z2 followed by 2 coats of celeste. Celeste is actually an amazing wax ;)

maggi112":1mipjvec said:
it's poorboys black hole alex :p smells lush!

SRP is such an underated product, it's actually very good. And to those comparing it to Lime Prime, they're different products.

SRP is acrylic based cleanser with some decent cut and decent filling ability. Lime Prime is oil based, and as such can not leave a base for sealants like SRP can.

Just to point something out :)

I agree that Lime Prime and SRP are definitely very different products but SRP just doesn't have a place in my detailing kit anymore. All it is good for, in my opinion, is masking/filling swirls.

I think if you are basing it purely on overall results, Lime Prime leaves a much nicer finish and offers much better enhancement, due to the oils bringing out the colour in any paint (not a very technical explanation, I know, but you know what I mean).

I have to say that I disagree about SRP leaving a better base for sealants, I find Lime Prime does a much better job and haven't ever had issues with FK100p bonding after cleansing with Lime Prime.

the finishkare isn't a particularly fussy sealant, but most sealants will not bond over an oily finish of any kind. Acrylic base is ideal, or IPA wipedown after machine polish.