Tablet

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib3tti3

Reaction score
Hi guys looking at getting a tablet and was just wondering if anyone on here has any reviews on tablets they own or have played with?? Cheers matt

My dad got one of those blackberry ones for like £120, takes abit of getting used to, but great quality screen and internet browsing is simple! but they must have dropped the price for some reason..

I've got an iPad and do still like it a lot. However I've had a play with the Google Nexus 7 and that's pretty awesome (so the freshly announced Nexus 10 probably should be too)

If you're looking for 7" form factor tablet the amazon kindle fire HD tablet is worth a look should be quite good and the fire/fire HD are pretty cheap.

Playbook - I'm not sure you'll get the best experience if you're after all the big new apps. It didn't really take off so developers aren't prioritising it.

Windows 8 should be better for apps than previous windows mobile os', so it may well be worth looking at a surface - particularly if you're wanting to have a bit more of a work productive element.

So essentially - there's a wealth of good to great tablets around, get yourself in a place to play with them all and see which suits you best. (We won't be able to guess all your needs)

i started out with a playbook - mainly because i hate apple and already had a massive htc android phone so figured id give it a try. its good for its pricetag, but it seems to be the tablet that developers forgot. not much support from 3rd parties, the 'app store' is limited to business apps, and the games and other fun apps are all around £5 each, which seems pretty steep. they did introduce the ability to side-load *.apk files so you can download and install android games / utilities, but it wasnt quite the same. all in all, if you're a fan of blackberry, its good, as the screen is awesome, and its quick. multi-tasking is a doddle.

following on from that, i decided to dance with the devil and bought an iPad2... not much to say except its an iPad. it does what you want it to, its quick, clear, intuitive, but its still an apple product. theres still the pesky itunes (howevs i got around this by using dropbox to transfer all my media) - still no flash support (but then again it seems to be on its way out) and your tied into using what apple want you to use. the latest iOS stripped the native google apps, so no more google maps or youtube, and the apple maps is shockingly bad.
plus points... i feel like a hipster using it in starbucks.

i bought my wife the nexus7 on launch day, and its an impressive device (even came with a google play voucher) - if youve used - and liked - an android phone, then this is awesome. its running the latest ICS OS, and it works flawlessly. it came preloaded with a transformers movie, and the playback was second to none, and so clear and crisp! one major flaw for me is that it has no mhl support so you cannot connect it to your tv and use it in real time through there.

finally, my brother bought himself a kindle fire hd. its not too dissimilar to the nexus7 in terms of specs, but although it runs on android, its been heavily skinned to look like an amazon device. its not as easy to pick up and play, and it too lacks the google defaults (maps / youtube) although a nice device, id put it behind the nexus, but in front of the playbook. the ipad probably wins just purely because every developer under the sun wants to impress apple so tend to focus more on developing for apple, with an after thought given to android... let alone supporting playbooks

I have an iPad 3 and the Mrs has the iPad 2, both fantastic bits of kit and both work in a fuss free way. That said you do pay the 'Apple' premium in terms of price but in my personal opinion it's worth it.

That said I'm looking to buy my mum a tablet for Xmas and having seen the new Nexus 7'' one a guy at work has, I'll be opting for that. :)

rocarhol":1i237myn said:
i feel like a hipster using it in starbucks.

Serves you right for being in Starbucks!!! :lol:

Thanks for your input guys, the wife has a kindle fire hd and is great for her reading and playing but not for me, and i dont like the whole apple itunes thing (im so used to android aswell)!! and i worked in a shop today and played on loads, the nexus 7 is great but as u say lacks connection to tv and expandable memory and a little small for what i'd like, so i think i have settled only the sony xperia tablet s great little tablet, simple to use like my phone and even controls the telly!!! cheers for your comments

o and i tried the beta of windows 8! i like computers and gadgets but jesus it was confusing! same as my aunties windows phone, she works for orange and all they ever get is people looking for help with the things!!

I see that you can get a keyboard for a tablet, and a stand to rest the screen against. You could do away with both of these, by putting a hinge between the screen and keyboard. ;)

Araf":2ixv3fk0 said:
I see that you can get a keyboard for a tablet, and a stand to rest the screen against. You could do away with both of these, by putting a hinge between the screen and keyboard. ;)
I see what you did there ;) Have to agree though...

Yeah I must admit the idea of a separate keyboard for a tablet does somewhat defeat the point when you can buy a capable laptop for £300-400!

The idea is that it unites two devices into one. For people who still have both a laptop for being productive when out and about, and a tablet for internet browsing in bed/on the sofa for example, this means they can just have one device - and it will meet both needs.
This is particularly useful when the keyboard can be very thin and basically becomes a case as you may normally have on the tablet of your choice.

I personally think that trying to merge these two devices into one is a good target, but whether it's been done right this time is another question...

Windows 8 does make more sense on a tablet than on a PC. Which one are you looking at? If you're looking at some of the "microsoft built" ones, you may want to wait a generation, the Microsoft surface is already receiving some bad news in that the cover/keyboard combo is coming apart in some cases with regular use.

DrDrew":crbhg32l said:
Windows 8 does make more sense on a tablet than on a PC.

I thought the same thing when using it on a test PC at work.

The big fluffy look of it is better suited to a phone or tablet than a PC even though you have you're familiar Start button and desktop on one screen.

Dr Drew, not really looked at any in great detail yet just the basic specs, im holding off a bit until the market has more competition and some better spec devices are out.

Windows 8 makes that much more sence on a tablet that i dont like it on a desktop and wont be moving away from Windows 7 any time soon!

Decided my laptop is getting dated, my Sony vaio vgn series is like 5 years old, been restored a few months ago so runs fine, few keys missing, bit of wear here and there..

Having used iphones the past 2 years I'm really clued in with the simple ios thing.. Had a play on a Samsung galaxy and a note and it's not for me.. Which is a shame as the new galaxy not 10.1 looks cool and is much cheaper than apple tablets..

So.. I think I'm gonna get myself an ipad mini, anyone got much to say about this one?
I just want to use it for home surfing instead of sorting the laptop out, maybe writing notes at college (I hate writing by hand so I just don't right anything, which isn't good) and games on a bigger screen for travelling etc.

Is £259 abit much for one?

Mike get off 133.net while you're on holiday! Enjoy yourself :p

Related to your post, I like the iPad easy to use, not sure about the ipad mini yet not seen any about!