Tardis on RS wheels

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS133ETO

Reaction score
I've been using Tardis on the wheels on every single car that I've ever detailed, but for some reason it just doesn't like my anthracite wheels. It dries up very quickly and stains the rims, being difficult to remove! I've got a bit of tar on them that I need to get off. Have used iron X on them and that's fine.

Ideas?

maggi112":ufqn6ncg said:
Work quicker :p

Never had any issue with Tardis on any finish.

Haha it was merely on for 10 seconds before I wipe it off. I put it on the whole wheel last week, I was horrified! Small patch to try again today but same thing. Baffled.

maggi112":2m8lq3nw said:
It must be hotter than its flash point OR its not necessarily Tardis in the bottle. Did you buy it direct or on the bay of e?

The wheels too hot? It's the same tin I've used for last 2 years off Polished Bliss. Really annoying.

RS133ETO":1kmvj26d said:
funky_d":1kmvj26d said:
I use Wolf's Chemicals De-ironiser. Glorius stuff

Does that remove tar as well as iron?

No mate it just brakes down all the brake dust, carbon etc, great stuff though.

DSC_0071_zpsb7e1723c.jpg

DSC_0072_zps542d7874.jpg

There seems to be a coating over the wheels. It scrapes off quite easily with a bit of patience. Is this laquer? Or is it paint? I have a feeling it's paint as beneath it there was evidence of kerbing. But why does it not like tardis? The water beaded area is what comes off.

RS133ETO":1grk3jm8 said:
Is this laquer? Or is it paint? I have a feeling it's paint as beneath it there was evidence of kerbing. But why does it not like tardis? The water beaded area is what comes off.
As it looks to be silver, rather than a clear coating, it would be paint... Possibly a smart repair type fix with minimal prep to key the new layer onto the base.

singlespeed":9v3ddbno said:
RS133ETO":9v3ddbno said:
Is this laquer? Or is it paint? I have a feeling it's paint as beneath it there was evidence of kerbing. But why does it not like tardis? The water beaded area is what comes off.
As it looks to be silver, rather than a clear coating, it would be paint... Possibly a smart repair type fix with minimal prep to key the new layer onto the base.

I was hoping it was just a poor re-spray. Any ideas of the best way to get it off without damaging the original paint? I've spent 3 hours to do 2 wheels, but there's still some on the edges. It's bloody hard work.

Just a hunch, but if its had a repair, the original paints already damaged ;)

The issue is clearly not Tardis, but a paint issue. The Tardis won't be helping in this instance though. I'm guessing poor prep is the issue, as it is with most paint jobs that go bad.

maggi112":6lusslni said:
Just a hunch, but if its had a repair, the original paints already damaged ;)

The issue is clearly not Tardis, but a paint issue. The Tardis won't be helping in this instance though. I'm guessing poor prep is the issue, as it is with most paint jobs that go bad.

The only damage to the original paint is a small area on the rim. I'm assuming there's damage on the other 2 and somebody has painted them all to match.

There seems to be something On the paint that affects tardis. As you can see in the picture, the water beads on it, and is very difficult to remove it.

maggi112":be2mr6c4 said:
In the second pic there's a fingerprint. Is that in the paint? Or somethkg on it?

Tbh over the Internet, and on a phone especially, it's impossible to diagnose

It's just a fingerprint in the dirt. Could it be some form of nano-sealant?