Temperature Gauge

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex12fowler

Reaction score
The other day when I was driving my temperature gauge on the dashboard said it was 40 degrees (ambitious I know) the number kept going up until it read like 70 when I left the car. Now the gauge isn't displaying anything at all. Any ideas?

alex12fowler":1ycq9hmc said:
The other day when I was driving my temperature gauge on the dashboard said it was 40 degrees (ambitious I know) the number kept going up until it read like 70 when I left the car. Now the gauge isn't displaying anything at all. Any ideas?

it's an NTC sensor, as the temperature increases the resistance goes down. essentially what you witnessed was a bad connection develop thus increasing resistance until it dropped to zero ohms and then creating an infinite connection once the connection or joint to the circuit was broken....thus rendering it humped. the sensor itself is in your drivers side wing mirror unit.

cheers mate the mirror has been off the car the other day while I repaired my vandal damage, which took ages haha. I will take the cover off and have a look

it's not a sensor i can say i've ever looked at in my entire life, so i couldn't tell you if it is replaceable. it would appear to be an internal part of the wing mirror from memory but this was about two years ago when i last got a look at one.

you can however have some other possibilities. regardless of what went wrong, a multimeter as always will be your only friend in this instance, check the resistance of the sensor itself and then the connector to the sensor but i will hark a 99% guess that the sensor is now a dud

Unless its just a loose connection, I bet its a fairly standard sensor, used on several makes and models. Theres probably some on ebay for a couple of pounds that will fit.

it's renault, this sensor has probably been in use since the 1980's to be fair!

Carrie had a similar problem and hers read 40 degrees. Mentioned in the thread linked below. Doesn't say the price of the new sensor in the thread but for some reason I think it was £40-£50 but could be completely wrong there. Best asking caz nicely about it.

viewtopic.php?t=9606

cheers for the help. Iv got about 5 various clio/megane censors about at home so will see if they fit

Its a small black sensor, which can be seen poking out the bottom of the R/H mirror.

The grey coloured sensor is for the air inlet.

Friedchicken91":104z1v0n said:
Carrie had a similar problem and hers read 40 degrees. Mentioned in the thread linked below. Doesn't say the price of the new sensor in the thread but for some reason I think it was £40-£50 but could be completely wrong there. Best asking caz nicely about it.

viewtopic.php?t=9606

£59 I think it was. Worked fine put hard problems getting it fitted. Had to take it to the garage in the end.

alex12fowler -- I had same problem ... I ordered at Ebay new sensor for 11€ .. Put the glass mirror down ..cut the old sensor off and welded new sensor back and works like new! :D
10minutes of work ..
(renault wants 89€ for original temp. sesor) ...

If you wish I can send you ebay seller ..