Temporary Breakdown Cover

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
Looking for good cheap temporary breakdown for this coming Sunday (21st October) on a Renault Master Van MWB 2.8ltr, 3.5ton max weight, year 2000, but struggling to find any good quotes, a lot of companies won't do it because the vehicle is over 10 years old, I'm only borrowing the van for one day and I'm insured to drive it but it needs breakdown cover as that isn't covered for private useage.

Anyone got any good ideas? I've trawled the web for ages!

Looking to spend no more than £20.00 if I can!

Why not get a years cover with the RAC? Starts from £30, and can cover you personally in any vehicle you are driving?

Not sure if they have an age limit on the vehicles, but older vehicles tend not to be driven so much, so the liklihood of breakdowns is mitigated.

Cos I've got my free 3 years breakdown with the AA breakdown on the Twingo direct from Renault when I got the car in 2010, which doesn't cover me in any other vehicle!

There's nothing to stop you having more than one policy. The RAC can also cover a vehicle that you are a passenger in. In addition, if you break down in the Twingo, you can call both, and see which one comes first. :)

True but it's not like I'll need to use the van often, it's just for this weekend only!!

Sam":2oiunsn5 said:
Cos I've got my free 3 years breakdown with the AA breakdown on the Twingo direct from Renault when I got the car in 2010, which doesn't cover me in any other vehicle!

check that cover out - its often not worth the paper its written on. I had some with my twingo and it only covered a break down truck to take me ten miles nearer to a garage.... anything after that was an extra charge.

We had a golf with basic cover, when the gear box mount broke it cost all sorts just to get it tailored to a garage. I have since taken out personal cover with the RAC - 78 pounds for the year covers anything I drive, any age, towing to a location I pick with onward journey travel etc.

Back to your point - Green flag do short term breakdown cover (i think it has to be a week) phone them :)

RAC Got a Question":67fp0sf0 said:
Your question
Can I cancel my existing breakdown membership?

Your answer
Your right to cancel is set out in our terms of membership. You are entitled to cancel your membership up to 14 days following the start date (or renewal date) of your membership, or the date you receive your Terms of Membership, whichever happens later. If you have not made a claim or used our service within the first 14 days we will refund the cost of your membership. If you cancel the membership after 14 days no refund or credit can be applied.

If you would like to cancel your membership, please call our customer services team on 0844 891 3111*. They'll take a few details from you and be able to help straight away.

Opening hours: Mon-Fri 8am to 9pm, Sat - 8.30am to 5pm, Sun - 10am to 4pm.

Online cancellations via the My RAC self service facility are not yet possible.

They won't cover the van on a vehicle based policy (£29.99) due to the age. But theres no age limit for a personal policy (from £42.00).

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes 5.5 metres (18ft) long, including tow bar. 2.3 metres (7ft 6in) wide
From page 10 of their T+C here>> https://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/uk-breakdown-terms-and-conditions.aspx

As to how easily you could actualy cancel :?

Not bein funny Sam but the van must be in bad shape to need breakdown cover. I had a x reg one for 2 years never broke down once